PDA

View Full Version : Excessive Shifting - Frequent Chail Derailment?

flipstah
06-16-2009, 01:48 PM
Hey everyone!

I noticed that my chain keeps derailing everytime I shift and I was just wondering if it's caused by excessive shifting? I oil it up regularly and maybe there's an adjustment that I need to make in order for this to be resolved?

suen_boi
06-16-2009, 01:52 PM
Tighten the chain?

98type_r
06-16-2009, 02:37 PM
What do you mean by derailing? is it coming right off the front or rear cogs? Or is ghost shifting between gears on its own?

flipstah
06-16-2009, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by 98type_r
What do you mean by derailing? is it coming right off the front or rear cogs? Or is ghost shifting between gears on its own?

It's a little bit of both actually. It comes off of the rear cogs and on 6, it ghost shifts and automatically goes to 7 (the smallest gear.)

Oh yeah, which is high and low gear? :rofl: Is the high gear the small one or vice versa?

fortissimo
06-16-2009, 02:48 PM
If the teeth on the gear isn't worn, have you tried adjusting the derailleur

98type_r
06-16-2009, 02:56 PM
think of it as a car.
high gear = faster

You have 3 potential problems

1. Limit screw adjustments will solve the chain coming off the cassette (cogs).
2. Cable indexing (tension) should eliminate the ghost shifting.
3. A bent rear derailleur hanger.

This link should solve your problems if it's the first 2, but only if you're somewhat mechanically inclined or have at least an hour to do it by trial and error. You shouldn't have to worry about #3 unless you've crashed, dropped the bike, or had some other impact to the rear derailleur.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=64

flipstah
06-16-2009, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by 98type_r
think of it as a car.
high gear = faster

You have 3 potential problems

1. Limit screw adjustments will solve the chain coming off the cassette (cogs).
2. Cable indexing (tension) should eliminate the ghost shifting.
3. A bent rear derailleur hanger.

This link should solve your problems if it's the first 2, but only if you're somewhat mechanically inclined or have at least an hour to do it by trial and error. You shouldn't have to worry about #3 unless you've crashed, dropped the bike, or had some other impact to the rear derailleur.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=64

Thanks!

D. Dub
06-16-2009, 06:20 PM
Can also be a worn chain, dirty chain or a chain that has a kink or is damaged.