PDA

View Full Version : Golf Lessons

broken_legs
06-16-2009, 07:05 PM
I've been golfing for ab out 3 years, all self taught and I think I am hitting a wall. I can hit low 90s, but I'm pretty inconsistent and usually batting over 100. It's definitely time for some professional help!

Whats a good place to go for golf lessons?

Can anyone suggest a good teacher ?

Thanks!

:)

broken_legs
06-16-2009, 09:34 PM
Well i booked a lesson through these guys:

http://www.rcgagolfcentre.org/

we'll see how it is tomorrow.

will_e_chill
06-17-2009, 08:08 AM
golf with people better than you. hit the practice range a lot. work on your chipping and putting.

i'm self taught also. been playing about 12 years and shoot in the low 80s.

i was dropping about 10 strokes every 3 years since i've started but seem to have peaked for the last few years.

been trying to shoot in the 70s regular but only done it a couple times.

i find golf digest has good tips. Dave Pelz’s Short Game Bible is a good read. i've been told that Phil Mickelson: Secrets of the Short Game dvd is good also.

i would rather spend my money on playing golf than paying someone to tell me how to golf. just my 2 cents.

bigboom
06-17-2009, 03:00 PM
i bought my own camcorder and have been doing my own analysis of swings. im hoping that will start to help.

broken_legs
06-18-2009, 07:31 AM
wow

I went down to the above mentioned place for lessons.

I don't really have much to judge my experience against, but I definitely learned a lot.

We just worked on my driver and swing. The video camera was there, and we watched comparisons of several of my my own swings vs those of professional golfers too. I found this very helpful. The instructors name was Brian. He gave me lots of great tips, was super friendly and easy to understand.

I took my new found swing to the range at shaganappi to practice a bit more. Usually I carry to the netting dropping my drive around 235-250, and usually I slice pretty bad 50% of the time. I actually hit about half way up the netting for the first time today and i've pretty much stopped the slice all together.

I'll probably go back in a few weeks to work on my other clubs.

As long as I can keep this up I'd say it was definitely worth the money.

$130 / lesson
or
$399 / 4 lessons

theken
06-18-2009, 08:20 AM
You sound exactly like how I play. 50 50 chance of slicing to hell or a good shot. I should take lessons again. I did 10 years ago I used to shoot high 80s when I was 13 14. Now 100 high 90. I also haven't played this year. I might go down there

Mitsu3000gt
06-18-2009, 09:11 AM
How did you get in so quickly? I called a few days ago and they told me they had nothing until July. I really want to take some lessons as well. I'm absolutely abysmal, I've been shooting 66-68 on 9 holes.

broken_legs
06-18-2009, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
How did you get in so quickly? I called a few days ago and they told me they had nothing until July. I really want to take some lessons as well. I'm absolutely abysmal, I've been shooting 66-68 on 9 holes.

I just called and they had an opening the next day. Helps if you don't have a day job ;)