PDA

View Full Version : ford escape vs. hyundai santa fe (vs. subaru outback/impreza outback sport)

nonlinear
06-16-2009, 07:33 PM
i've been thinking about getting a new vehicle for several months now... current car won't die though, so i've been delaying things quite a bit.

anyhow, at first i wanted to get a 4wd body-on-frame for camping and field work, but i also do a lot of city driving and i'm concerned about gas mileage so I began looking at unibody SUVs and 4wd wagons. i'm considering subaru outback or impreza outback sports, or a larger crossover SUV like the Hyundai santa fe or a ford escape. Cost is somewhat of an issue, and i'm hoping to keep everything under $10000...

anyhow, just asking on opinions about what would be the best vehicle for this money. i've driven a hyundai santa fe and really liked it, but i see a lot of ford escapes around and they seem to be cheaper (also cheaper to fix, etc.). i've wanted a subaru since i was about 14, so that's a strong possibility as well, however it seems like you can get a much newer/nicer santa fe for the same money.

any thoughts?

dj_rice
06-16-2009, 07:42 PM
If you like Ford Escape, I think the Mazda Tribute is built on the same platform also but IIRC the Mazda is a bit pricier

I got a chance to drive a 09 Sante Fe today and IMO it didnt have the pull as when I drove a Escape

nonlinear
06-16-2009, 07:47 PM
yea, but for some reason the tribute's seem more like mini-vans to me. i drove a friend's older model a few times, and i wasn't impressed. also, aren't new tributes cheaper than escapes?

EDIT: and, i don't know for sure that i like the ford escape... i just saw them in my price range, and they seem about the right size and comparable to a santa fe (?), but i haven't driven one yet so I don't really know much about them. i guess i'm just looking for advice from you guys on how the escape compares to santa fe/subaru. in know i just need to go drive one, but opinions from you car dorks means something too haha :poosie:

DannyO
06-16-2009, 08:27 PM
My vote is to a Impreza Wagon :D

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s48/jwtfam/GarageSale051.jpg

If not, I'd go for the Escape, but haven't driven either of the SUVs you mentioned.

nonlinear
06-16-2009, 08:33 PM
i agree that the impreza wagon is the dopest option, but it's also the most expensive. for the same price, i'm looking at basically a 5 year age difference between the hyundai/ford or a subaru.

Kloubek
06-16-2009, 08:53 PM
As decent as Hyundai has become, I have heard nothing good about the older-style Santa Fe's. For the class, I would sooner purchase the Escape and save some money. If you can somehow afford the new-generation Santa Fe, that might be a different story.

In both cases of the Escape and Santa Fe, you get an average vehicle with really little to speak about. At least the Subarus have some personality....

Personally, if you want to go for something like an Escape, why not something that offers more? Perhaps a Liberty for off-road ability. Or a 99.5+ Pathfinder?

prae
06-16-2009, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
As decent as Hyundai has become, I have heard nothing good about the older-style Santa Fe's. For the class, I would sooner purchase the Escape and save some money. If you can somehow afford the new-generation Santa Fe, that might be a different story.

In both cases of the Escape and Santa Fe, you get an average vehicle with really little to speak about. At least the Subarus have some personality....

Personally, if you want to go for something like an Escape, why not something that offers more? Perhaps a Liberty for off-road ability. Or a 99.5+ Pathfinder?

i had a liberty as a rental for a week and liked it for it's pickup but it's gas mileage was pretty poor. Might have had something to do with the fact that i drove it like i stole it though.