PDA

View Full Version : tightening body fat

Shlade
06-17-2009, 12:30 AM
ive been doing a lot of cardio for a couple months now, i havent even gotten close to the goal the i want to, i was 235lbs and dropped down to 205-208lbs, but it seems ive only shed weight from the running and none of the body fat unfortunetly... Ive got love handles the size of calgary, problem being its all connected to my stomach and its impossible to loose... mind you ive been trying to loose it since i was 12 and now im 18....

what kind of workouts should i do to get rid of this stubborn body fat? how can i tighten it up, i still want to keep doing lots of cardio because i like the running, I burn on average 800-1000 calories every time i go to the gym, which is usually every night.
What should i change in my eating? Im avoiding fast food, im drinking lots of water? I really am sick of how my body is right now and am willing to work my ass off to get rid of the fat. Somebody help?

lint
06-17-2009, 12:40 AM
start lifting some weights

Shlade
06-17-2009, 12:45 AM
problem is i dont know where and how to start
i can easily go pick up a weight and start going nuts at it but not get any results because i can almost guarentee im doing it wrong and not long enough, if i try weights i do 2 sets and im finished, i dont have the proper training for them nor knowledge as to how many sets i need done for the entire upper body or schedule to do so.

A790
06-17-2009, 01:55 AM
Look at the routines in this thread on BB.com: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=322699

I followed them very closely and saw fantastic results. Over the course of 6 months I lost nearly 60lbs, dropped 16% off of my body fat, and built a TON of muscle. I went from being a big (overweight) guy to being a big (muscular) guy.

To see how to do the exercises properly just google them or check out exrx.net. Failing that, ask at the gym. I started doing that and you'll be surprised and how people are more than willing to lend some advice on proper form.

Just remember to SQUAT, DEAD LIFT, and BENCH PRESS. In my opinion the SQUAT is the most important exercise you'll do (it's also my favorite).

dandia89
06-17-2009, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by A790
I started doing that and you'll be surprised and how people are more than willing to lend some advice on proper form.

So true, I'm still quite suprised how helpful they are.

I'm a bit curious to, what kind of eating habbits did you have? what were you trying to avoid, ie low carbs high protein, etc.. what kind of foods?

max_boost
06-17-2009, 08:51 AM
The all cardio thing doesn't work unless your goal is to be like one of those Olympic marathon runners hahaha

Start here: www.stronglifts.com

Disoblige
06-17-2009, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Shlade
ive been doing a lot of cardio for a couple months now, i havent even gotten close to the goal the i want to, i was 235lbs and dropped down to 205-208lbs, but it seems ive only shed weight from the running and none of the body fat unfortunetly... Ive got love handles the size of calgary, problem being its all connected to my stomach and its impossible to loose... mind you ive been trying to loose it since i was 12 and now im 18....

what kind of workouts should i do to get rid of this stubborn body fat? how can i tighten it up, i still want to keep doing lots of cardio because i like the running, I burn on average 800-1000 calories every time i go to the gym, which is usually every night.
What should i change in my eating? Im avoiding fast food, im drinking lots of water? I really am sick of how my body is right now and am willing to work my ass off to get rid of the fat. Somebody help?

Your diet is a big factor in getting where you want to, and how quick you get to your goal. Trust me, I used to be a fatass in elementary and jr. high but in high school I've trained pretty hard to get where I am now.

I was ~145 lb, 5'7 that could bench 155 lb during my Badminton endurance training, but now I'm ~160 lb (slacked because I'm in university) but I'm also focusing more on strength training.

From what you've posted, I would recommend going to the gym earlier than the evening because then you'll be burning calories throughout the day as well + feel good. You'll also not make any excuses in the evening such as "I'm too tired, too busy, etc." when you do it first thing in the morning.

For your diet, complex carbs is a must. That's stuff like wholegrain cereals, high fibre cereals, oatmeal, corn, yams, spaghetti, etc. They have plenty of nutrients and are needed to give you the energy to work out. The other carbs to avoid is the simple carbs which are sugary substances like candy, honey, table sugar, any kind of jam spread, condiments, pickles, pudding, basically any junk food. It's also good you're drinking lots of water too. When I was working out in high school, I ate Vector cereal every morning and even sometimes in the evening like crazy because it gave me energy and tasted decent. I admit that because I worked out 7 am in the morning, in the afternoon, and had Badminton practice, I ate like a total pig during dinner but it was healthy stuff like rice with chicken breast and no oil added, water to drink, and fruit. It's going to be tough but controlling your eating habits pays off LOTS! Foods high in complex carbs and fiber usually fill you up so you stay full longer too. I knew I was eating healthy too because I diluted everything I drank because it tasted so strong. I even had to dilute orange juice with half water because it was so sweet.

As for cardio, run, swim, biking outdoors works wonders too. PM if you have any questions. (It might even be nice for someone to show you some techniques for weight training like how to squat, bench, etc because that's probably the easiest and fastest way to learn. I'm not a huge workout buff but I do know the basics of things, and I'm sure a lot of people on this forum as well. )

Shlade
06-17-2009, 11:21 AM
so from what im understanding, to loose this body fat its best i start getting into lifting now? maybe keep my cardio to a 15 min max during the workout?

any supplements i should use to that would help? i find a lot of them dont help but boost self confidence a bit more when it comes to working out, which i like.

89coupe
06-17-2009, 11:25 AM
so from what im understanding, to loose this body fat its best i start getting into lifting now? maybe keep my cardio to a 15 min max during the workout?

any supplements i should use to that would help? i find a lot of them dont help but boost self confidence a bit more when it comes to working out, which i like.

When do you eat and what do you eat in any given day?

Shlade
06-17-2009, 11:27 AM
A790 the only thing is, ive looked at the thread you provided, and i dont even know what half those work outs are lol,

im guessing when it says 2x 8-10 means 2 sets and lifting 8-10 times?

Shlade
06-17-2009, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe

When do you eat and what do you eat in any given day?

it really depends, my eating is still off a lot, im cutting back on pop and only drinking water now, im trying to cut back on my bread but i am sneaking in atleast 2 peaces of whole grain sliced bread, im avoiding sugar products right now

i couldnt even say what i eat tho, the big problem is i dont keep track, and im only trying to start the whole healthy thing today, ive recently started going back to the gym but me going in there to work out and not know what im doing is really frustrating, especially when im working my butt off and not seeing a single result....

89coupe
06-17-2009, 11:44 AM

it really depends, my eating is still off a lot, im cutting back on pop and only drinking water now, im trying to cut back on my bread but i am sneaking in atleast 2 peaces of whole grain sliced bread, im avoiding sugar products right now

i couldnt even say what i eat tho, the big problem is i dont keep track, and im only trying to start the whole healthy thing today, ive recently started going back to the gym but me going in there to work out and not know what im doing is really frustrating, especially when im working my butt off and not seeing a single result....

Do you eat breakfast? If so what normally?

Do you eat Lunch? If so what normally?

Do you eat Dinner? If so what normally?

Do you snack during the day? If so what normally?

How much sleep do you get?

How often do you work out?

How long do you work out for?

vtec4life
06-17-2009, 12:00 PM
Look at the routines in this thread on BB.com: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=322699

I followed them very closely and saw fantastic results. Over the course of 6 months I lost nearly 60lbs, dropped 16% off of my body fat, and built a TON of muscle. I went from being a big (overweight) guy to being a big (muscular) guy.

To see how to do the exercises properly just google them or check out exrx.net. Failing that, ask at the gym. I started doing that and you'll be surprised and how people are more than willing to lend some advice on proper form.

Just remember to SQUAT, DEAD LIFT, and BENCH PRESS. In my opinion the SQUAT is the most important exercise you'll do (it's also my favorite).

those work outs are guranteed to get you ripped! thanks for posting that back up i never saw that thread before.

full body work outs for the first couple of months are a great idea because it gets all of your muscles working and increases your metabolism like crazy, especially the squats and deadlifts those are key.

max_boost
06-17-2009, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by vtec4life

those work outs are guranteed to get you ripped! thanks for posting that back up i never saw that thread before.

full body work outs for the first couple of months are a great idea because it gets all of your muscles working and increases your metabolism like crazy, especially the squats and deadlifts those are key.

The compound workouts work. Build a base and max out those novice gains.

I've been lifting for about 2.5 months, hit the novice standard on the press, squat and deadlift. Gained 15lbs and looking bigger and stronger than before. :clap:

Shlade
06-17-2009, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe

Do you eat breakfast? If so what normally?

Do you eat Lunch? If so what normally?

Do you eat Dinner? If so what normally?

Do you snack during the day? If so what normally?

How much sleep do you get?

How often do you work out?

How long do you work out for?

Breakfast- 3 egg whites with a bit of avacado and peppers
Lunch- dont usually got time to eat
Dinner- Salad with grilled chicken
snack- a hand full of cereal
Sleep- On average 7-9 hours
How ofter work out- every second day usually
how long do i work out- 1 hour to 1hour and 45 minutes

Big Daddy G
06-17-2009, 01:19 PM
Just going to throw this out there, but you may want to look at something like P90X.

If you are having trouble figuring out where to start, it can be a really good program for showing you nutrition guides and introducing you to the whole concept of working out properly.

I wouldn't pay for it personally, :devil: , but all the videos and the guides are available on torrents.

I know people here will say you don't need P90x, and that crossfit.com is free, but honestly, give the videos a try and if you work your ass off, you will see results.

Redlined_8000
06-17-2009, 01:45 PM
ok. Here is what you need to do to reach your goals OP:

1. Get your diet on track, you need to be eating about 5 meals a day. Dont be afraid of fats, keep carbs minimal and mostly from berries and green veggies. Meat, fish, eggs, nuts are your new best friends. Log your diet on Fitday.com it will help you figure out how your doing. from your current diet it looks like 1500 cals... way way to low, you are starving your body, metabolism is probably shot.

2. Get a gym membership if you dont have one, then pick a routine and stick with it. Learn to squat and deadlift.

sample routine from iron addicts
Day One:

Dips or Bench Press 2-3 x 6-8

Incline Press, or incline Fly 2 x 10-12

Military Press, Or Hammer Shoulder Press 2-3 x 6-8

Tricep (skull crushers) Extensions or Tricep Pushdowns 2-3 x 10-12

Heavy Abs 3 x 10

Day Two:

Pull-Up 3 sets to failure

Barbell Row 2-3 x 8

EZ-Bar Or Dumbell Curl 1-2 x 10

Squats 2 x 10

Deadlifts, or Stiff-Legged Deadlift 1 x 10

Yes, that routine is a 2day a week, and you will make great gains, dont add anything. try to get about 2-3 days between workouts.

3. stay consistent, sleep good, eat good, train hard.

something i want you to do to check your metabolism is get a oral thermometer just put it right by your bed. Sleep, and once you wake up in the morning, take your body temp right away first thing. record, and repeat for 5 days.

97.4-98.3 normal metabolic rate.
96.5-97.1 metabolism reduced as much as 15-20%
95.5-96-5, you be fucked, thyroid pummeled into submission.
94.5-95-5. Your metabolism is shot, extremely lowered basal metabolism.

Keep us posted OP

Shlade
06-17-2009, 03:55 PM
see heres the thing, im not AT ALL wanting to build body mass or muscle, i could honestly care less about it, what kind of stomach workouts or cardio workouts could i expect to do to loose my stomach fat and hip fat? what kind of eating should i be doing here? whats the reccomended stuff i should eat when going on a diet? because im not at all interested in going to buy a protien from GNC just to get my daily amount of protien in there.

Thing is i cant get myself motivated to do any lifting, im just not interested in it at all, i just want to get rid of my fat that i have been trying for so long... but nothing seems to work. Besides i feel like absolute shit when i go lifting cuz everything in my body hurts and makes me not want to go to the gym again for 3 weeks...

Redlined_8000
06-17-2009, 04:06 PM
^^ ok.

Muscle does burn fat, although you care less about it. the more muscle you have, the more fat you can burn. Weight lifting gives you a hell of an advantage that words can not describe.

If lifting is out of the question though, Id try some sprinting - awesome way to get in shape.

try 3-4 sets of 400m 2xweek with 3-5 min rest between sets. after about 6 weeks, you can up the frequency to 3xweek or sets to 5-6.

Interval running is great too, basically 15sec sprinting then 45 sec jogging for 20 min...

Hope that helps.

yes and diet should be pretty much the same as i said to loose fat. Meat, nuts, fruit, veggies, fish. The large love handles you describe indicate you are very carb sensitive.

By the say, doing stomach workouts DOES NOT burn stomach fat. That is called spot fat reduction, which you cannot do through types of exercise.

Darkane
06-17-2009, 09:51 PM
see heres the thing, im not AT ALL wanting to build body mass or muscle, i could honestly care less about it, what kind of stomach workouts or cardio workouts could i expect to do to loose my stomach fat and hip fat? what kind of eating should i be doing here? whats the reccomended stuff i should eat when going on a diet? because im not at all interested in going to buy a protien from GNC just to get my daily amount of protien in there.

Thing is i cant get myself motivated to do any lifting, im just not interested in it at all, i just want to get rid of my fat that i have been trying for so long... but nothing seems to work. Besides i feel like absolute shit when i go lifting cuz everything in my body hurts and makes me not want to go to the gym again for 3 weeks...

.. Dude just fucking lift.

Body hurts.. Give me a break. Afraid of hard work or what?

shadowz
06-17-2009, 10:53 PM

I was like you, same mentality as well, but lifting weights, cardio, good diet they all come hand in hand, get your mind right, thats the biggest thing. It really comes down to how badly you want it and how hard youre going to work at it. Clear up the diet first as many have said, then work on cardio and start working on the basics with low weights and move your way up there. Get motivated to be healthy!

Ukyo8
06-17-2009, 11:00 PM
Cocaine diet...

ragu
06-17-2009, 11:07 PM
If there is no way you would lift then try ECA stack as you do high intensity cardio.

A790
06-18-2009, 12:10 AM
Don't bother asking for advice here if you aren't willing to follow through. Lifting weights will amplify your results by 100 times. You don't need to get BULKY, per say, but you do need to build lean muscle.

Not interested? Enjoy the fat. 'Nuff said.

ragu
06-18-2009, 12:16 AM
Don't bother asking for advice here if you aren't willing to follow through. Lifting weights will amplify your results by 100 times. You don't need to get BULKY, per say, but you do need to build lean muscle.

Not interested? Enjoy the fat. 'Nuff said.

Being bulk is an average illusion among average men; they think lifting weights for couple of months would make them look like Arnold. OP suffers from the same.

JMaj7
06-18-2009, 05:53 AM
You have to develop an interest in weight lifting. Try P90X.

Give it like 6 months and you'll see that you feel better as you get stronger. You have to think about your metabolism along with your body type and muscle mass (how much muscle is actually under the fat). The odds of you cutting out all the fat just by doing cardio and becoming skinny aren't very high.

Oh yeah and do intervals! google HIIT.

Disoblige
06-18-2009, 10:46 AM

Well it's going to be tough when you first start, yes. It always will be like that. Take time to do lots of stretches as well (around a 20 minute after stretch) and that'll help with the upcoming pain. You don't need to do intense lifting or anything. You can start low and do a lot of reps, and when you feel more comfortable go onto more weight, etc. You gotta start somewhere right?

These guys are right though. Even if you're not wanting to be bulked up or anything, doing weights will help you plenty. It will make your body into more of a furnace when you have more muscle mass and help you burn away what you eat quicker.

max_boost
06-18-2009, 11:40 AM
I don't think it matters who you are, first time getting into a new lifting program will make you sore. Consider it the initiation haha

You should lift weights no doubt. Why wouldn't you want to? Why wouldn't you want to gain strength and build muscle mass? haha But everyone is different, it took me forever to understand this. I just wonder WTF took me so long to get it? :nut:

pinoyhero
06-18-2009, 09:35 PM
Most of the advice is pretty good here.

When folks say that getting fit is 50 percent diet they're wrong ... its 80 percent. Get your diet right and win.

My combo is easy eat paleo and do crossfit. Perfect combo IMO for all round health and fitness.

A790
06-18-2009, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
I don't think it matters who you are, first time getting into a new lifting program will make you sore. Consider it the initiation haha

You should lift weights no doubt. Why wouldn't you want to? Why wouldn't you want to gain strength and build muscle mass? haha But everyone is different, it took me forever to understand this. I just wonder WTF took me so long to get it? :nut:
Some people want to be weak their whole lives I guess. You don't have to become an Arnold clone to see effective results with basic weight training + cardio and proper diet.

Shlade
06-18-2009, 11:32 PM
i absolutley agree with you all, ive done some research and weight training is the way to go it seems, i just have to get my head into it. I went on one of those machines to test your blood level, my blood level is at 150 which is very high, im seeing my doctor at the end of the month to see what kind of diet program i should go on and if everything checks out alright. But as of now tho i need to get a good routine planned out as to what ill do everyday at the gym, because going to do the exact same thing all the time wont get me any results.. Im a patient guy, i can wait for results, i just got to get my head in the game right now and stick to it

A790
06-19-2009, 09:24 AM
i absolutley agree with you all, ive done some research and weight training is the way to go it seems, i just have to get my head into it. I went on one of those machines to test your blood level, my blood level is at 150 which is very high, im seeing my doctor at the end of the month to see what kind of diet program i should go on and if everything checks out alright. But as of now tho i need to get a good routine planned out as to what ill do everyday at the gym, because going to do the exact same thing all the time wont get me any results.. Im a patient guy, i can wait for results, i just got to get my head in the game right now and stick to it
Follow the routine I posted earlier in the link to BB.com. You'll see great fat-reduction on it if your diet is right. It is what I followed during my 5 month challenge thread, where I lost nearly 60lbs in 5 months.

ragu
06-19-2009, 10:24 AM

It is what I followed during my 5 month challenge thread, where I lost nearly 60lbs in 5 months.

you weigh 190lbs now?

Shlade
06-19-2009, 01:06 PM
Thanks A790
ill be sure to do some research into it
but first i need to go get a proper diet program made up by my doctor. Different people need different amount of food in them to get threw the day, thats why i want to get it done properly to see results, then ill start with my training.
Ill keep you all posted.

A790
06-20-2009, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by ragu

you weigh 190lbs now?
Okay, so I MAY have exaggerated there. But still, I went from 255 to 215... :)

G-Suede
06-21-2009, 12:03 PM
tightening body fat

:facepalm:

wintonyk
06-22-2009, 12:23 AM
quite possibly the best thing i have found is crossfit.

www.crossfit.com

se7en
07-02-2009, 11:05 PM
very important if you don't want to do any lifting...

do like someone mentioned earlier in this thread...

interval training.

walk or light jog for 5 mins, and run FULL OUT for 20-30 seconds, rest for a minute, and run FULL OUT again for 20-30 seconds......continue for 10 minutes, and do this a couple times a week, and you will notices gains faster than you think.

quit that run/walking on the tread mill for hours and hours, it won't help your fat loss at all.

core_upt
07-03-2009, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by ragu
If there is no way you would lift then try ECA stack as you do high intensity cardio.

Doesn't sound like the OP has too much interest in supplementing diet with basics such as protein, so I doubt he's going to cycle a stack.

Being said, HIIT and EC(A) is a BAD IDEA. Moderate intensity, sustained cardio is best on EC; save the HIIT for the off cycles.

r3ccOs
07-08-2009, 09:36 AM
Honestly low body fat is ideal from an asthetic appeal, however overall improved cardio function and lung capacity is ultimately the ideal "goals" when reffering to being fit.

The ability to exert and maintain a high level of intensity during a high output activity such as soccer or hockey is more important than your anerobic max lift or whether you have a 6pack or 8pack.

Its about finding a balance, and the more disciplined you are to obtaining your goals through fitness training and dieting will give you the results... and like anything it takes time

Personally, even though I stuck with playing div3 soccer this winter and the occational game of shinny... I spent way too much time in the gym lifting weights.

I'm paying the price, as though my body fat% is low than ever before... I don't have the cardiovascular/aerobic ability to maintain the level of play that I had last soccer season. Why? frankly because I have too much muscle, most of it just asthetic and useless. I weight the same with about 4% lower body fat.
I can bench, shoulder press, deadlift a helluvalot more than I could last year this time, but its like anything... I've compromised my aerobic ability due to spending too much time with anerobic activities.

Mind you I can climb better than ever, as that sport is all about power/weight ratio.

Mitchyboy
07-22-2009, 12:12 AM
i would hate to be fat....i pity you; just waking up in the morning and looking in the mirror, that must be so awful. i would literally swallow a shotgun. you would to...but out of hunger and not self-hatred.
maybe try throwing up? it really helps a lot of people to loose weight, and after all, a body that doesnt repel the opposite sex is very important in life. best wishes, i hope you can get rid of your disgusting problem

peterlogins101
09-04-2009, 06:47 PM
you mean you got muscle pain? don't abrupt your body take it slow first. :clap:

heather
09-05-2009, 01:49 AM
It doesn't seem like you're eating enough to be honest (egg whites for breakfast and salad only for dinner). Do you ever binge eat. Your body must deprived from nutrients.....