PDA

View Full Version : RB25 vs. SR20

DSM4LIFE
06-17-2009, 11:18 AM
i'm looking into a nissan project. i was lookinh into either a 180 or a silvia. i cant decide between the sr20 or the rb25. the rb will cost more but is it worth the difference?

sxtothe240
06-17-2009, 01:14 PM
this has been discussed here before, but you'll prob have more info searching at www.zilvia.net

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-17-2009, 09:37 PM
What is the goals of the project?

Zephyr
06-17-2009, 10:46 PM
sr20. parts are cheaper.

Tram Common
06-18-2009, 12:28 AM
SR20, for every reason other than "but the RB25 isn't as common."

...well, have fun then.

AutodreamFrank
06-18-2009, 12:58 AM
Brayden,

imo Stock for stock.... silvia, skyline....

S13 redtop SR20 Silvia > RB20 R32 GTST

S14 black top Silvia > RB25 R33 GTST

when your SR breaks down, your parts are more readily available....

I've owned an R32 with an RB25, an S13 with S13 SR20 redtop, and S14 silvia with S14 SR20 black top..... the S14 SR felt as fast as the Rb25 with 12lbs of boost, and I was running stock 7 psi of boost on the SR. I had the same mods on the silvia and skyline full exhaust and fmic, only difference was the profec b spec II in the skyline. keep in mind of the power to weight ratio....

RB25 is all torque but is harder/more expensive to build a high hp build...
with S14 or S13 sr20, if you invest in a disco, injectors and an eprom, you can get up to 270whp... (with the right supporting bolt on mods)

SR20 all the way, just cause it's cheaper... but i'm a cheap ass....

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-18-2009, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
What is the goals of the project?

msommers
06-18-2009, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
What are the goals of the project?

DSM4LIFE
06-18-2009, 05:02 PM
well i want a daily driver that i can drift. i would like it to be pretty fast too. like 14's or faster on the quarter if possible.

Nissan_Fanboy
06-18-2009, 05:29 PM
SR20, It's alot easier,
RB25 takes alot of work and its harder to find parts ect.

Unless you have some spare change to throw around, gow ith the sr20

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/185294

SNAATCH
06-18-2009, 05:57 PM
-Nothing beats the sound of an inline 6 turbo motor.

- It's just plain bad ass.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-18-2009, 06:53 PM
If your only looking for 14s and a fun car to drift, SR20 is the way to go. I am running an SR in my 180SX right now. In terms of engine mods I have a FMIC, Boost Controller, Intake, AFC, Walbro Fuel Pump, and Aeromotive FPR, and on stock boost I saw a 14.74 at Race City with no experience and average launches. I plan on running tomorrow if it opens on 11psi to see how much quicker it is. In terms of drifting, its fairly easy to drift even a stock SR. Even so more with my minor mods, to the point where you have to be careful in the wet in first and second gear.

bundi
06-18-2009, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by SNAATCH
-Nothing beats the sound of an inline 6 turbo motor.

- It's just plain bad ass.

This is the biggest argument for the RB25 :)

SR will be easier to drift and cheaper to run. If you want more bottom end torque, build a KA-T and have the middle of the road :)

Shlade
06-18-2009, 11:34 PM
how many projects do you plan on having?
first it was a civic, then it was a talon, now its another nissan?

duuuudeee make up your minddd

DSM4LIFE
06-19-2009, 11:59 AM
haha yah i've had a few project but im just flipping them and making money. i've always wanted a nissan so this one will stay for a while

methodicreign
06-20-2009, 09:00 AM
haveing drivin and swapped and modded both, you'll be so much happier with an rb. better bottom power your not always using boost to go anywhere. the SR has nothing until boost hits and your always running higher in the motor. if you want a fun daily driver and something you can play with at any time go RB. everyone that says parts are easier to find for the SR, there is a reason for that, they break down alot. alot... can't take the abuse most people put on turbo motors everyday unless you get really lucky and find a good motor, or put signifigant coin into a rebuild. just my .02 good luck though

DonJuan
06-20-2009, 09:26 AM
Although I cant speak for the RB in the S- chassis cars.

My buddy has an RB25 in his R32 built way more than the SR in my S14. He's also running alot more boost he's at 21psi and i'm only running 12psi. His fastest time currently is 13.3 at 117mph and I run 13.3 at 119 mph (Both with Street slicks)

His R32 is stripped out, and I have a full stock interior and stereo. And hes on his 3rd engine. Mine is a fresh rebuild.

LOL at methodicreign
:rofl:
What a joke

to the OP whichever engine you decide, at least throw some bearings and rings in it and have a look around inside the engine, or just rebuild it before you go beating on it. It`ll save you money and time.

sr20s14zenki
06-20-2009, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by DonJuan
Although I cant speak for the RB in the S- chassis cars.

My buddy has an RB25 in his R32 built way more than the SR in my S14. He's also running alot more boost he's at 21psi and i'm only running 12psi. His fastest time currently is 13.3 at 117mph and I run 13.3 at 119 mph (Both with Street slicks)

His R32 is stripped out, and I have a full stock interior and stereo. And hes on his 3rd engine. Mine is a fresh rebuild.

LOL at methodicreign
:rofl:
What a joke

to the OP whichever engine you decide, at least throw some bearings and rings in it and have a look around inside the engine, or just rebuild it before you go beating on it. It`ll save you money and time.

+1 for that buddy

Oem rings=120$
Oem Bearings=200$
Oem gasket set=200$

total extra cost...provided you can assemble an engine ..520$ for a more reliable engine. I have seen too many sr20s come from japan just CAKED with sludge in the bottom end, and they dont last very long let me tell you. Its better piece of mind. Besides, alot of the main seals and gaskets are gone, and alot of them are leakers, i find ALOT are usually leaking thru the front main. Oil savings alone justify it :devil: :whipped:

and methodicreign im sorry man, you're wrong. My car has plenty of bottom end torque and even with my 2860, i still see boost around 2800, 3000 rpm and full boost by 3200. I have driven a few rb25 powered cars, and they, IMO, are lacking in something. Now on the other hand, if you take that rb25, build it, strap on a big turbo and some cams, and a decent fuel management system, the sky is the limit really. Its all what you do to them. Basically i use a general rule...."Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?"

DSM4LIFE
06-20-2009, 10:42 AM
thanks well i don't know how to reassemble an engine on my own so i wouldn't be able to do that. All in all i want a rear wheel drive car that is pretty fast and pretty reliable. since there is lots of people available who know these engines pretty well i thought it would be good to get one so i would have some back up support. i picked nissan because i really like them but if there is other RWD cars out there that have good potential and would be nicer to my wallet then please let me know