PDA

View Full Version : Business Administration - SAIT

Jim Rome99
06-17-2009, 04:53 PM
Does anyone have any information on this two year program? What kind of jobs can you get with this diploma? What other programs can you transfer into?

Also, does anyone know of a forum dedicated to the things we discuss in "campus chat". Preferably Alberta-based. Thank you.

max_boost
06-17-2009, 05:07 PM
Yep. I am an 04 graduate in Marketing here. I ended up in the family business so can't comment much on job opportunity but it is a 2 year business diploma eligible for transfer to U of L and I think MRC for credit towards a 4 year degree.

Obviously how far you go in terms of career advancement and $$$ is dependent on how hard you work as an individual but a bachelor degree is probably the minimum these days to get your foot in the door. That is unless you are hot with big boobs, in that case, good looking people will always > ugly people with or without education haha

Jim Rome99
06-17-2009, 05:16 PM
Does it count towards two years of a four year bachelor degree? You are saying that it makes you eligible for a four year bachelor's degree in marketing, accouting, management or finance? Is it a good program; ie. would you recommend it? Thanks.

max_boost
06-17-2009, 05:29 PM
Yes you get 2 year credit towards a 4 year business degree.

I thought it was a good program. The real reason why I took it was because I couldn't make the cut at U of C and SAIT was my only option. My plan was to finish at U of L or Athabasca but I had a different opportunity and opportunity cost was too great to pass up. In hindsight, I made the right choice by not getting my degree but my situation is far from the norm.

It's also transferrable to Athabasca University but that's correspondence base.

Jim Rome99
06-17-2009, 05:34 PM
What kind of stuff do you actually learn? I tend to do well in subjects like English and History, and struggle in things like Science and Mathematics.

Stephen81
06-17-2009, 06:33 PM
PM'd

max_boost
06-17-2009, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Jim Rome99
What kind of stuff do you actually learn? I tend to do well in subjects like English and History, and struggle in things like Science and Mathematics.

LOL

You learn stuff related to your major! :eek: :dunno: :rofl:

So Business + any of the 4 majors.

inspire21
06-17-2009, 06:51 PM
The SAIT diploma is a good place to start. I definitely recommend continuing on and earning a Bachelor of Management at the University of Lethbridge in Calgary. I went from MRC business diploma to UofL Bachelor of Management to Haskayne MBA to University of Alberta PhD in business.

Stephen81
06-17-2009, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

LOL

You learn stuff related to your major! :eek: :dunno: :rofl:

So Business + any of the 4 majors.

Yeah...first semester is common to everyone and then second, third and fourth about half of your courses are specific to your major. The other half, everyone takes (Macroeconomics, Business Math, etc ,etc.) None of the math is "hard" per se...all just basic formulas...I graduated High School before any of this pure/applied math so I can't comment on how much more or less the difficulty is haha

PeterGTiR
06-21-2009, 01:59 PM
This is entirely opinion - the SAIT diploma is really easy compared to other post-secondary programs. Put the work in and you should be fine.

There's an accounting certificate that you can take at all the courses at night if you have a daytime job. After ten courses, you get the certificate. It's nice to get something that shows that you've accomplished something after ten courses. And then if you want to stop, you can quit there and still have something to show for it.

Then after ten more courses, you get the diploma. This might have changed in the past few years - the accounting diploma for the daytime program is 24 courses and only 20 courses if you take the "accelerated accounting" certificate that is offered at night.

Then if you want, take 20 more courses and get the U of L degree.

The accounting certificate/diploma/degree is more of interpreting rules and business training than anything specific to math and science. There is math and formulas with calculations but most of it is high school level math like present value calculations.