PDA

View Full Version : Security at McMahon

swak
06-18-2009, 01:23 PM
I went to the First pre-season game yesterday, and the security was definitely over the top. Bag searches, pat downs, guards walking up and down the stairs frequently. I was actually kind-of getting pissed with them, and their cocky, know it all, looks on their faces.
I thought the kid was joking when he said he had to pat me down.
Come on Calgary, this is a football game. We dont even have this much security at The Saddledome.

There was also an article on this in the paper (Sec B2 of the Herald, id recommend looking at)

Are you for or against this new step in security?

badatusrnames
06-18-2009, 01:27 PM
http://www.calgaryherald.com/Sports/Calgary+football+fans+forced+live+with+beefed+security/1708119/story.html

JustGo
06-18-2009, 01:29 PM
If you're not going in with a knife looking to stab people, why should it concern you that you're being patted down?

I have no problems with it.

If it stops one gang member from going in there to carry out a plan, I'm all for it. CAVITY SEARCHES FOR EVERYONE!

snoop101
06-18-2009, 01:51 PM
Something close to this was on the news last night. The tail gate people were complaing because they couldent drink beer.

swak
06-18-2009, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by snoop101
Something close to this was on the news last night. The tail gate people were complaing because they couldent drink beer.

Id be pissed too...
Whats wrong with having a beer at your tailgate party?
I've never had a tailgate party there, but if i did... I would want a beer.

snoop101
06-18-2009, 01:55 PM
Some guy on the news said that he got season tickets now for the last 20 years and he said this will be his last year because of them being so anal. (i dont think he actually said anal)

Masked Bandit
06-18-2009, 01:59 PM
It's getting to be a bit much I think. We've been going for about ten years now and I was "patted down" last night. I wasn't carrying a bag or anything.

Masked Bandit
06-18-2009, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by JustGo
If you're not going in with a knife looking to stab people, why should it concern you that you're being patted down?

If it stops one gang member from going in there to carry out a plan, I'm all for it. CAVITY SEARCHES FOR EVERYONE!

I wasn't aware that gang activity was a problem at Stamps games.

:thumbsdow

snoop101
06-18-2009, 02:05 PM
Were females and kids being pat down or was it targeted to people that looked the part? That would just be wrong. You could just load your kid up with beer and have him walk on through.

Pollywog
06-18-2009, 02:08 PM
Football games - battle grounds for mass gang super schemes. :rolleyes:

98type_r
06-18-2009, 02:08 PM
i heard they were cracking down on smuggling alcohol into the games and drunkeness. Bag searches would be ok, but patting everyone down seems to be a bit much.

urban.one
06-18-2009, 02:11 PM
Beer and football go hand in hand. A few drunk rowdies who have gotten out of control (like the Sask fan who reached for the cops gun) have ruined it for everyone.

This is an over reaction. I think the Stamps organization has gone overboard and their recent success in attendance has them over confident. Be strict like this with tail gating and the searches, and you will lose more fans than you gain. You might attract a few families but youre going to alienate a whole lot more season ticket holders who like to enjoy a beer at a tailgate party and not get out of control.

BigShow
06-18-2009, 02:26 PM
We walked in without a problem. Saw they were checking bags, so we just walked right around. Curious what it'll be like with a higher attendance for the season opener. Having to wait in line to be searched will be very agitating to many people. I've always felt safe, can't rationalize these measures as being warranted.

BigShow
06-18-2009, 02:31 PM
Side note - What are they building on the hill behind the screen?

Supa Dexta
06-18-2009, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

You better watch your gang colours, and hand gestures...

JustGo
06-19-2009, 03:27 AM

I used it as an example. I'm sure there are MANY other reasons why the pat down occurs. But I appreciate you taking me so literally.

B4tMan
06-19-2009, 04:21 AM
I don't mind it. Do it more often.

Mar
06-19-2009, 09:46 AM
So let me get this straight.......you were upset with the looks they had on their faces? Do things like this often concern you?

Weren't you the kid that got upset with the way the security guards at Tim Horton's were looking at you?

Gart
06-20-2009, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by B4tMan
I don't mind it. Do it more often.

agreed!

I'm a season ticket holder, I brought a bag and so was inconvenienced with the search to get in, I immediately stopped caring once the 2mins I had to wait were over and I was in my seat.

(now the no-alcohol at the tailgates would definetely suck, but I arrived too late to see if that was actually the case or just a few isolated incidents).

TorqueDog
06-20-2009, 12:09 PM
I feel the same way about this that I do about the idiotic beefed up security that airports started enforcing on post-9/11.

You don't feel any safer (and I promise you, with how ineffective security is, you're not). And in the case of a football game, you almost feel... uncomfortable, like it really does kill a little bit of the atmosphere.

swak
06-20-2009, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Mar
So let me get this straight.......you were upset with the looks they had on their faces? Do things like this often concern you?

Weren't you the kid that got upset with the way the security guards at Tim Horton's were looking at you?

That wasnt me at tim hortons..

But, i cant CANT F-ing stand cocky security guards.
The ones i did encounter fit this personality. And no i didnt cause any problems, just the comments by them in the concourse.
Next thing is they will only let a person buy 3 beers max.. McMahon is a joke.

narou
06-20-2009, 01:19 PM
I will never ever go there.. Thanks for sharing this information.

Canucks3322
06-20-2009, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by snoop101
Were females and kids being pat down or was it targeted to people that looked the part? That would just be wrong. You could just load your kid up with beer and have him walk on through.

Haha...irony.

Mar
06-22-2009, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by swak
Next thing is they will only let a person buy 3 beers max.. McMahon is a joke.

This is already the law in every place that serves alcohol. Bartenders are required to remember every patron they serve and not serve them anything that would get them too drunk. It's just not enforced.

You seriously let too much bother you. You must be stressed out all the time.

a social dsease
06-22-2009, 04:44 PM
Sadly I don't it has much to do with public drunkenness, or concerns over people drinking too much etc. It's more to do with money; they'll let you have as many beers as you like, as long as you buy them at the stadium for $6/beer. They know people try and smuggle in beers to try and avoid paying their overinflated prices, and the more beers they confiscate = the more money they make.
The worst part is if I recall correctly McMahon doesn't even have draught beer, they simply pour cans into a cup for you, meaning you're paying 3x the price for the exact same item. At the Saddledome it's still overpriced, but at least it's draught ("heroin beer") so it's slightly easier to justify the price gouging...

Gart
06-22-2009, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by a social dsease
Sadly I don't it has much to do with public drunkenness, or concerns over people drinking too much etc. It's more to do with money; they'll let you have as many beers as you like, as long as you buy them at the stadium for $6/beer. They know people try and smuggle in beers to try and avoid paying their overinflated prices, and the more beers they confiscate = the more money they make.
The worst part is if I recall correctly McMahon doesn't even have draught beer, they simply pour cans into a cup for you, meaning you're paying 3x the price for the exact same item. At the Saddledome it's still overpriced, but at least it's draught ("heroin beer") so it's slightly easier to justify the price gouging...

Most of the people I've seen drunk and being "out of control" (punching cops for instance).. were the sames ones packing in their own beer that this new "security" seems to be targetting .. at least in theory.

Not saying it's a directly related issue, but perhaps if he had a little bit less to drink he'd just be punching kids, or mascots or something.

:dunno:

we'll see how it goes the next couple games before I firm up my opinion on it.. I don't think it's anything new to discourage people from coming to the games, at least in my experience of the "bag check". At least we don't have metal detectors... yet.

edit:

didn't want to start a new post, but to the comment below "saskatchewan fans" :P

swak
06-22-2009, 05:43 PM
Why have such anal security at football games then, but when you go to a flames game, you can go the whole game and not see a security guard?

DayGlow
06-22-2009, 07:42 PM
Why have such anal security at football games then, but when you go to a flames game, you can go the whole game and not see a security guard?

Cause when someone pays $100+ for a Flames ticket they care about being thrown out vs their $10 Safeway Stamps ticket

ChappedLips
06-22-2009, 08:02 PM
Switch to hard liquor instead of beer, much easier to get a mickey or 2 in.

71car
06-22-2009, 09:51 PM
Interesting... so that's what was up at McMahon? Well, doesn't bother me since I'm not a Stamps fan anyway. Hockey is the only sport I'd care to watch.

Masked Bandit
06-23-2009, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta

You better watch your gang colours

Pffffft.....I've been wearing my GREEN for years. I guess it helps that half this town is from Saskatchewan anyway.

sputnik
06-23-2009, 07:32 AM
I was actually kind-of getting pissed with them, and their cocky, know it all, looks on their faces.

:rofl: :facepalm:

Someone sounds a little over sensitive.

swak
06-23-2009, 07:34 AM

Pffffft.....I've been wearing my GREEN for years. I guess it helps that half this town is from Saskatchewan anyway.

ahaha... its wicked to go to a game when sask. is in town, you see more green than red in the stands.... Even in the stamps store :dunno:

All i know is i'll be wearing the Gold and blue at the final game...
**Knock on wood**

thinmyster
06-23-2009, 07:47 AM

It is also accepted as a generally good idea to bring extra clothes/rain gear to the game as it is not a controlled (covered) environment such as the saddledome. Therefore backpacks and such are "allowed" at stamps games and people obviously use this to smuggle booze etc. Try bringing a backpack in the dome and see how far you get.