PDA

View Full Version : Want to go back to school!

narou
06-18-2009, 11:24 PM
I want to go to post-secondary school.. But I have no idea what I want to do with my life or what I should study.. I am 20 now this is getting rediculars.

dubol
06-18-2009, 11:47 PM
Maybe you should think about what you want to do before you apply, otherwise, you're just wasting more of your time applying for something you don't want to do.

flipstah
06-18-2009, 11:51 PM
Why do you want to go back?

If you can answer that, then you can branch off from there to know what you want to study for.

:thumbsup:

narou
06-18-2009, 11:58 PM
I just want a career, I was set on becoming a skilled tradesmen but I don't know if I really want that.

Doozer
06-19-2009, 08:55 AM
20 is nothing. I'm in my mid-30s, and I don't think I know of anyone who hasn't thought about changing careers, even now.

Take some time and don't stress about it too much. You'll know when it comes, and you'll be better off for having waited.

gretz
06-19-2009, 09:17 AM
if you were to have any job that you would actually enjoy, what would that job be??

flipstah
06-19-2009, 01:45 PM
It's never too late to get educated. It's just knowing what you want is the key.

Just wanting a career isn't enough; what are you passionate about? Are you mathematically inclined?...

Do you like staying up all night and basically make love to a textbook? People always say "it won't happen" but eventually, it does. And you'll love it. :rofl:

Just give out more info or something. Isn't this what guidance counselors are for? :dunno:

Sykes
06-19-2009, 01:56 PM
What kind of learner are you?
- Kinesthetic (hands-on)
- Visual
- Auditory?

This might help narrow down what kind of education you might pursue.

Gainsbarre
06-19-2009, 01:57 PM
Try going here and scheduling an appointment with a career counsellor. It's free if you're under 24 and the counsellors are well qualified.

http://yec.nextsteps.ca/index.html

Neighbourhood is a bit shady -- it is Victoria Park after all. When I went there about 6 years ago, I recall seeing a couple of prostitutes when looking out of the windows in the waiting area (and this was 10 in the morning...)

GQBalla
06-19-2009, 02:35 PM
Victoria Park has gotten a lot better now.

msommers
06-19-2009, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Gainsbarre
When I went there about 6 years ago, I recall seeing a couple of prostitutes when looking out of the windows in the waiting area (and this was 10 in the morning...)

That's how they get you motivated to go to school, shit anything but a hooker!

OP: This question is too vague to answer. It's like me starting a thread, "I need a car because I don't like taking the bus. What car should I buy?"

I was in trades before and went back to school at 20 so it's not the end of the world. Tell me what kind of stuff you're interested in, and I'll let you know when those type of lectures are at the UofC. You can go sit in on a class, no one will know or give a shit provided it's not a small class, and you might get a feel for the material and what it's like to be back in the classroom. Job-shadowing is my next suggestion, albeit it might be difficult to do if you don't know anyone well at the company but certainly worth a shot.

Best of luck buddy:thumbsup:

Dumbass17
06-19-2009, 04:19 PM
i'm almost 25. graded sait in 07 and been working since.
i still don't know what i want to do

but then again, i have the attention span of hey this window is blue

narou
06-19-2009, 06:36 PM
Thanks guys you have been really helpful.. Seriously I was expecting much different results.

OCDP
07-15-2009, 03:24 PM
Man, I'm 23 and I haven't gone into SAIT yet. I'm trippin' balls! I graduated in '04, was hooked up with a nice little job at the Calgary Health Region, the pay was excellent for no post-secondary education or any other sort of schooling. Obviously I got sucked in (and still am.. lots of nice pay increases to keep me here, making good money for myself), started looking into computer courses at SAIT, realised I needed to upgrade Math.

Hah! I JUST finished upgrading math. Started at SAIT for upgrading, beginning at Pure 10, upto Pure 30, but dropped that shit cuz SAIT was tough for math upgrading, when I should really be able to do it more easily (finished with chinook learning, calculator use FTW!)

Now I'm done upgrading ready to take on this whole new chapter and I'm scared shitless. I don't think I'm ready for the workload and I don't feel ready to drop the whole lifestyle I've got going on (habits are hard to break.. ) but at the end of the day, I'm only 23... I still have time, but now is the time to get on the ball now. Really, just make sure your ready for a big change and get ready to commit.

Bottom line, don't fret. Lots of smart peeps on here giving good advice (I might have to hit you guys up for info. at some point) You are definitely still young, keep making money in the meantime, figure out what it is you want to do and make the changes when you feel your ready to do so.

kaput
07-15-2009, 04:01 PM

Euro838
07-15-2009, 04:43 PM
Don't sweat it, figure out what you want to do first. Don't waste your time and money by going just because you are 20 and think you should be.

Everyone and their dog has a diploma or bachelors degree now so it doesn't help you stand out anymore. The more important thing is to be passionate about what you want to do and be able to demonstrate that.

Remember, you don't have to be educated to be rich! :)

sushi_fish
07-17-2009, 12:10 AM
If you're gonna go sit in a class, I recommend sitting in ST 140 and ST 148, they're some of the largest lecture theatres at the UofC, you'll go by totally un-noticed~ ^_^

You might wanna take some career tests to see what you might like or excel in, take some free ones off of google or something...

And don't keep your options limited... Yes, there's UofC but there's also Mount Royal College, SAIT, ACAD, Devry, Bowness and whatever else is out there...

Soo best of luck!

On a side note... I'm 22 and about to grad with a degree in Psyc and Minor in Business, do I know what I want to do? NO!!! XDDD In fact, I've never known what I wanted to do, I'm just in here because I got recommended for it; whahahahahah!!!

Job finding sucks btw, so I recommend doing something that's gonna give you tons of jobs after you're done school~ ^_^

And one last thing... There's also Athabasca University, you could try taking some online courses from them and see how you like the material. Also, you could go through the courses offered by the University and see what may interest you... Best of luck again!

pinoyboy88
07-29-2009, 01:09 AM
SAIT has a "student for a day" program, you should try that out. They set you up with a student from a program your interested in(I think) and you spend the day going to all the classes he/she has for that day. Doing this could help you see if some programs our right for you.

I'm 21 and just graduated and already thinking about going back to school to change my career path due to the economy affecting the job market.

RizenSun
08-10-2009, 10:23 PM
Like what most people in the forum have said... you need to figure things out, before you even start to think of what school to go to.

What are your career options with your current education?
What drives you to go back school?
Are you willing to sacrifice your current way of life?
In the end, will pursuing this dream make you happy?

I was initially in university and a year into it, I tried to see what I could do once I graduated. I was slowly losing interest in what I was doing, and realized that I was not ready for university. After weighing my options, and seeing that my grades weren't sufficient to pursue my dream, i decided that I needed to stop going to school and figure out what I really wanted with my life.

After a year off school just working, I decided to give SAIT a try... it was a good experience and I just graduated from the IIET program.

In the end, I still want to pursue my dream of being in the medical field and will work hard to try and figure out how to make it happen... never say never because the future is what we make it.

alieno1
12-01-2010, 12:14 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I just wanna say that I'm 29 and going back to school and it doesn't bother me one bit. I think the average person changes careers 5 times in their lives. There is people in the states who have seen their jobs go overseas and now they have to go back to school to retrain for a new job in order to adapt. There is nothing wrong with that, it's part of life. And think how many people stick with the same job their whole life even though they hate it because they didn't have the guts to switch gears and go back to school? Going back to school at 20? Heck, I graduated high school at 20 and now that I'm 29, I finally feel I matured enough to go back to school. I know I wasn't ready before.

brownboi
12-01-2010, 01:36 PM
http://www.sait.ca
check it out an see if you like anything, im at sait atm and i love it

911fever
12-06-2010, 12:26 PM
hey I'm 22 and I'll graduate this year, and I'm considering going back for more schooling as well, not very many people know exactly what they want to do with their life, many of us are all in the same boat together.

dandia89
12-06-2010, 08:13 PM
some of the most intelligent people I have met in engineering did something else and came back to school. some are 22-28 and they definitely enjoy school more than I do

projekz
12-06-2010, 09:01 PM
I've been thinking about changing career and going back to school but with a stupid mortgage, 2 kids and a shit load of bills it just seems impossible. :banghead:

Bowser
12-07-2010, 11:39 PM
You just need to find something that's interesting and enjoyable to you.

I'm 23 and graduating with a degree in chemistry, but even after 6 years of post secondary (and switching degrees) I still have no idea what I want to do and I'm thinking about staying and working on another degree. As time passes I learn more and get a better understanding of what I want to do. Hopefully this will lead me to a bright future.

But remember, it's never too late to learn or to make a change in your life. You just need to commit to it.

Disoblige
12-08-2010, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by Bowser
You just need to find something that's interesting and enjoyable to you.

I'm 23 and graduating with a degree in chemistry, but even after 6 years of post secondary (and switching degrees) I still have no idea what I want to do and I'm thinking about staying and working on another degree. As time passes I learn more and get a better understanding of what I want to do. Hopefully this will lead me to a bright future.

But remember, it's never too late to learn or to make a change in your life. You just need to commit to it.
Wow, that's commitment man. Good work. I hope you find what you are looking for soon.