PDA

View Full Version : drywall differences

Stunt66
06-19-2009, 12:52 PM
Do any of you guys know if there is a difference between drywall?rona sells it for $13 a sheet(4x8x1/2") and at that home inprovement place theyre selling it for $10. I'm developing my basement and would like some info if you guys got it.

5000Audi
06-19-2009, 01:02 PM
Why dose walmart sell a loaf of bread for $2.47 and 7/11 Sells for $3.99?

Places have differant prices..

redline
06-19-2009, 01:18 PM
none

Hamann
06-19-2009, 01:22 PM
Drywall is all the Same, different Stores have different % mark-up and different Distribution costs.

Stunt66
06-19-2009, 01:53 PM
I thought there wasnt either but one contractor we got an estimate from told me there was drywall out there that was made in china and contained toxins that could be harmful, we never went with him but i was just curious to know. Thanks

Euro838
06-19-2009, 02:08 PM
Here's probably what they were referring to.

http://www.canada.com/Health/Toxic+Chinese+drywall+accused+health+problems/1377648/story.html

barmanjay
06-19-2009, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Hamann
Drywall is all the Same, different Stores have different % mark-up and different Distribution costs.

wrong

there are 2 main manufacturers of drywall in canada, for the life of me I can't remember them

one is a bit more flexible than the other

I've done my fair share of drywall to know what I'm talking about.

But in essence they both wall up a frame and drywall mudd adheres to it. Most of the properties are the same.

One may contain a bit more fibres and more soap (creates air bubbles) for a lighter weight and more flexibility. So these sheets will be a dollar or 2 more per sheet.

Been a while since I've used my tools, so I assume not much has changed since.

sml
06-19-2009, 03:04 PM
There are differences in thickness: 1/2" (standard walls) vs 5/8" (ceilings) and for different application: regular walls vs bathroom walls.

Hamann
06-19-2009, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by barmanjay

wrong

there are 2 main manufacturers of drywall in canada, for the life of me I can't remember them

I've done my fair share of drywall to know what I'm talking about.

But in essence they both wall up a frame and drywall mudd adheres to it. Most of the properties are the same.

One may contain a bit more fibres and more soap (creates air bubbles) for a lighter weight and more flexibility. So these sheets will be a dollar or 2 more per sheet.

Been a while since I've used my tools, so I assume not much has changed since.

Someone drywalling their basement does not need to worry about the Semantics about the % of whatever in the Gypsum Board.

OP All you need to worry about is buying it and throwing it up.

I only ever worked in Commercial so i am not sure about the requirements for fire rating your basement, but i think all you need is half inch (i would check into that before buying)

CUG
06-25-2009, 02:05 AM
Waterboard is extra money, that's for bathrooms and backsplashes etc.

sputnik
06-25-2009, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by barmanjay

wrong

Domtar would be one of them.

Stunt66
06-25-2009, 10:39 AM
I found a guy that did it for $0.27sq/ft or $8.64 a sheet delivered with sheet rock drywall I think.