PDA

View Full Version : SeNor Taco

LT2009
06-20-2009, 03:25 PM
I have recently been to SeNor Taco. Being of mexican decent I can defenately say that they are as close as it gets to a real mexican taqueria. I have been in other Calgary Taquerias and they really don't compare. Mi Tierra is not a taqueria style joint but a formal restaurant. What makes a taco flavourful is the salsa
and the salsas I recently tried were pretty tasty, and actually brought me back to my last trip to Mexico. I think they might have improved some of their plates and its defenately worth a try. I think to make it even more authentic they need to serve up Aguas Frescas like Horchata or Tamarindo, both very tasty traditional drinks we have in Mexico.

bmw4life
06-20-2009, 03:26 PM
where is this estalisjment

theken
06-20-2009, 03:54 PM
Right by senioritas cock

Pollywog
06-20-2009, 03:57 PM
...confused..

tarrantas
06-20-2009, 04:22 PM
i want a taco now

jsn
06-20-2009, 04:40 PM
Did you make an account on beyond just to sing praises about your own restauarnt? Free advertisement?

gatorade
06-21-2009, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by jsn
Did you make an account on beyond just to sing praises about your own restauarnt? Free advertisement?

lol looks like that

badatusrnames
06-21-2009, 12:07 AM
It's only an authentic Mexican restaurant if used TP goes in the waste bin instead of down the toilet...

IntegraG2
06-21-2009, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by badatusrnames
It's only an authentic Mexican restaurant if used TP goes in the waste bin instead of down the toilet...

haha zing

ZorroAMG
06-21-2009, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by jsn

Doubtful. His user id is 59xxx when new users are 61xxx

jsn
06-21-2009, 02:59 AM
^^ oh. Just seemed like it seeing how he was a fairly new user and this was his one and only post.

nonlinear
06-21-2009, 09:47 PM
there is already a thread on this so is this considered a repost?

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/262632/review-senor-taco-red-deer/

i've been there and had a much different conclusion (see my review below). Also, you mention Mi Tierra here. I am american and have been going to taquerias all my life, and while Mi Tierra does now have table service, IMO it is still a taqueria and not a restaurant. Also, why does not having wait staff make your establishment better than Mi Tierra? To be honest, your food is pretty bad, and can't even come close to the awesomeness of Mi Tierra. the only reason I would suggest your place to anyone is that las palmeras absolutely sucks, and Mi Tierra is a long drive from red deer.

EDIT: any by the way, your salsas are absolutely flavourless. isn't 'hot' supposed to be spicy?

Originally posted by nonlinear
Senor Taco
5020 50 Street
Red Deer, AB T4N 1Y3
(403) 314-4121

Ambiance: 1/5
Service: 4/5
Food: 3/5
Value: 3/5
Overall: 3/5

Summary

Authentic Mexican taqueria in historic downtown Red Deer. The food is OK considering the utter lack of Mexican in Red Deer (las palmeras is absolutely terrible and is anything but authenticn), but we are lucky to have much better Mexican food here in Calgary at Mi Tierra. I would recommend Senor Taco if you're already in Red Deer and have a hankering for tacos, but it doesn't warrant a drive from calgary and probably not even a detour from the highway if you are traveling north.

Review

I had read on chowhound that a new taqueria was opening in Red Deer, but there hadn't been any comments since they opened so I thought I would check it out on the way up to Edmonton earlier this week. The location is somewhat of a trek through Red Deer (about 15 minutes or so in traffic), so it's not exactly the most efficient location if you're trying to make a quick trip north. That said, the only other "Mexican" restaurant in Red Deer is Las Palmeras, and the food there is absolutely terrible and anything but authentic so Senor Taco is a welcome addition.

This is a typical taqueria - a small, simple room with a menu board at the front counter where you place your order. Not much of an atmosphere, but then again the point of a taqueria is to provide quick food, not a formal dining experience. We arrived at about 1:30 on a Tuesday afternoon, and there were two other tables, both of which were speaking Mexican Spanish, which was an excellent sign.

The menu is fairly brief, and consists of combo plates - tacos, enchiladas, burritos, tostadas, etc. - which include rice, beans and a drink. I believe that each combo plate is $10.50. You can choose from four fillings - chicken, carne asade (beef), al pastor (pork and pineapple) and chorizo (spiced sausage). There are also 4 varieties of hot sauce available - mild, med, hot, and "super hot." When we arrived, the staff was ready and waiting at the counter to take our order. the entire staff was very friendly.

I had the taco combo which consists of four tacos - I chose 2 chicken and 2 al pastor. When my plate arrived, I found four very small tacos, a scoop of dry/pasty refried beans, and some nondescript white rice. The fillings were just OK. The chicken was moist but the al pastor was really dry with pale pineapple chunks. Everything was lacking in flavor. I used some "hot" sauce to try and improve the flavor, but it was again quite flavorless and also too mild for my liking (it was supposed to be "hot"). As mentioned above, the tacos were very small and I found myself still hungry after eating the entire plate.

My dining partner had the enchiladas with chicken. There were 3 enchiladas, each covered in a different sauce (mole, red enchilada sauce, and a green tomatillo sauce). I had a small bite of each one to sample the sauces, and wasn't impressed - again, everything was just lacking flavor. Notice a trend here?

So in all, we had an OK experience here but not sure we would be back unless we were stuck in Red Deer and craving tacos. Things were overpriced for the amount of food we received, and everything was just kinda dry and bland. This place can probably survive in the Red Deer scene, but the food would have to be improved and prices lowered for this place to exist in a more competitive market.

I definitely have to say that Senor Taco and Mi Tierra are in entirely different leagues. Mi Tierra has larger portions with fresher, higher-quality ingredients and more complex flavor combinations for a lower price. I'll continue going to Mi Tierra for my Mexican fixes.