PDA

View Full Version : My new Fido plan

TC2002
06-20-2009, 04:53 PM
I just got off the phone with Fido's retention people (it took a while to get through the reps to get there, but with a lot of patience, I got there) and I'm quite pleased with what I got for the iphone 3GS. Thought I'd share, in case people were looking at what they could get.

MY OLD PLAN
$25 for 100 daytime, 1000 evening/weekends (starting at 7), unlimited fido to fido, voicemail, call display/call name, with system access fees, with 911 fees. Total with everything and GST is approx $45 a month or so.

MY NEW PLAN
200 weekday
Unlimited weekend/evening (starting at 7)
Unlimited incoming
Unlimited fido to fido
Voicemail
Call Display/Call name
2500 texts (to any Canadian number)
Access to Roger's expanded network
No system access fee
No 911 fee
2 months unlimited local calls
$30 for 6 GB data plan (promotion on now until end of July)

Makes me a very happy person, even at around $66 or so a month. Put me back on to a 3 year contract, but I don't really care. Quite happy. :D

B4tMan
06-20-2009, 05:23 PM
i watch 3rd rock from the sun on youtube on the 3g and i only get around 1.5 gb / month

How much do you use ?

TC2002
06-20-2009, 05:59 PM
It'll be my first run at the phone, so I have no idea yet. They said that because 500 MB will cost me $25 a month, why not go with the 6 GB promotion on now and if I find that I use way less than that, I can always change it to save money. For an extra $5, I figured "why not?"

Dj_Stylz
06-20-2009, 06:14 PM
Wow i wonder if i can get the 6GB data plan with rogers. Right now i have only 500 mb. Also how much did it cost to buy the phone also?

dj_rice
06-20-2009, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Dj_Stylz
Wow i wonder if i can get the 6GB data plan with rogers. Right now i have only 500 mb. Also how much did it cost to buy the phone also?

The 6GB/$30 is being offered by both Fido and Rogers right now for a limited time...but only if you sign up for a 3 year data plan and are eligible

Heres a thread about everything u need to buy to sign up/purchase Iphone 3GS or 3G

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/268322/the-absolutely-everything-you-need-to-know-to-buy-or-upgrade-to-the-rogers-fido-iphon/

TC2002
06-21-2009, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Dj_Stylz

I bought it for $97 after using my fido dollars towards it.

Thanks for the link, dj_rice!

Mitsu3000gt
06-21-2009, 02:42 PM
I had a 500MB plan on my cell phone (not an iPhone or BB), the sales guy kept telling me how it was nearly impossible to over 500MB unless all I do all day long is watch streaming video. At the end of the first month, I had $70 extra on my bill in data charges, and all I did was visit text-only websites once a day at most for a month. Needless to say I canceled that data plan immediately haha. I've been wary to get data ever since but 6GB for $30 seems like a great deal.

dj_rice
06-21-2009, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I had a 500MB plan on my cell phone (not an iPhone or BB), the sales guy kept telling me how it was nearly impossible to over 500MB unless all I do all day long is watch streaming video. At the end of the first month, I had $70 extra on my bill in data charges, and all I did was visit text-only websites once a day at most for a month. Needless to say I canceled that data plan immediately haha. I've been wary to get data ever since but 6GB for $30 seems like a great deal.

Were you using the data only...no Wi-Fi?

D911
06-21-2009, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

they couldnt of been "text only" websites, they had to be at least image heavy. I surf like facebook/twitter and shit on my phone everyday with my BB, and i barely break 25mbs.

CRXguy
06-21-2009, 11:23 PM
Yeah, besides the iPhone, I don't see how it's possible to use up that much data. On a Blackberry, data is compressed so the average user won't even get close to 500MB. I know for my Bold, I receive about 100 emails a day between friends, surf various sites and I have yet to go over 200MB. I'm currently on the 500MB value pack plan but had the 6GB promo when it was first introduced and thought it was overkill.

dj_rice
06-25-2009, 08:29 PM
Fido Retentions Rock

This was my old plan which expires on July 2010

$25 Plan
100 Daytime
1000 Evening/Weekends
Unlimited Incoming
Call Display $6
$5 Credit for CD
911 Fee : $0.50
SAF : $6.95

$35/month with taxes

New plan after 2 days and 2 hours of negoitiating with Retentions CSR

$25 Loyalty Plan
200 Daytime
Unlimited Evenings/Weekends
Unlimited Local
Enhance Voicemail/Call Display w/ Name Display
2500 Text Messages
No SAF

$25/month + $30/6GB Data plan on 3 year contract

$55/month + taxes and a new 16GB Iphone 3GS for $199 which I used $231 of my Fido Dollars so free phone

But I had to pay $200 Early Cancellation Fee to get this new plan but I still end up on top since I still have 12 months left on my old contract x $35 = $420 monthly payments left in contract

djayz
06-25-2009, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice

$25 Loyalty Plan
200 Daytime
Unlimited Local
2500 Text Messages
No SAF

What is Unlimited Local...did you mean local incoming?

dj_rice
06-25-2009, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by djayz

What is Unlimited Local...did you mean local incoming?

From what the CSR told me, if I am in my local area aka Edmonton and somebody calls me from Japan or wherever, its free since I'm in my local zone and doesn't use any of my minutes so essentially its exactly like Unlimited Incoming so if somebody in Edmonton calls me, its free so I guess its Local Incoming?

If your plan is expensive, I can give you a # to call to get results, but its all depending on how persistent you are, and being nice/polite and calm helps and gets results better than threatening to cancel, keep on trying and u will get what you want

mo_money2supe
06-25-2009, 09:17 PM
dj_rice, could you pm me that #? I'm guessing it's direct to retentions? I'm currently paying $70+ per month and I don't even have data! In fact, I even have less minutes and options than both you and the OP! I'm also with Fido btw and have been off contract for at least 4 years now. TIA!

assram
06-30-2009, 05:00 PM
Pretty good plan, but you shouldn't have to pay the ECF.
I've renewed with fido maybe 5 times in the past 8 years i've been with them.

My story has generally been:
"My phone is busted, i need a new one. My cancellation fee is like 200 bucks, but if I sign over at telus (must say telus or bell, not rogers), then I get a free phone and X,Y,Z for 20 bucks."

They will put you on hold for a bit, and come back with a retention offer that beats X,Y,Z for the same price.

I have the retention plan you guys are talking about.
You can add 1000 minutes of long distance for $5 too (regular $10) which I find really useful. I mean a couple trips to Edmonton or Calgary and i'm over $5 usually.

PROTIP: I went over my 200 daytime minutes in the first month, so I called back stating I want to cancel my whole plan, because in the agreement it states i have 30 days to decide.

The rep gave me 3 months unlimited and a bonus 100 minutes daytime for the rest of my contract.

Fido Retentions Rock

This was my old plan which expires on July 2010

$25 Plan
100 Daytime
1000 Evening/Weekends
Unlimited Incoming
Call Display $6
$5 Credit for CD
911 Fee : $0.50
SAF : $6.95

$35/month with taxes

New plan after 2 days and 2 hours of negoitiating with Retentions CSR

$25 Loyalty Plan
200 Daytime
Unlimited Local
2500 Text Messages
No SAF

$55/month + taxes and a new 16GB Iphone 3GS for $199 which I used $231 of my Fido Dollars so free phone

But I had to pay $200 Early Cancellation Fee to get this new plan but I still end up on top since I still have 12 months left on my old contract x $35 = $420 monthly payments left in contract

mo_money2supe
07-08-2009, 12:34 AM
Called into Fido retentions last Friday and here's what I got:

200 wkday mins
unlim. eve/wkend
1000 long dist. mins in Canada
F2F local
CID/Name display
enhanced vm
2500 texts
No SAF/911
Expanded network
6GB data

$55/mth + tax

My previous plan was the following:

150 wkday mins
Unlim. eve/wkend
F2F in Canada
$30/mth +tax

+$5 Expanded network option
+$9 voicemail/CID
+$6.95 SAF
+$0.50 911
$21.45 +tax

So altogether, I was paying $54.02 (with GST) as a base price. But I never had a texting plan, so add on the texts I made, a few ld mins here and there, and my plan averaged $70/mth!!!

I'm quite happy with what I was given. Not only am I paying significantly less per month, but because of my Fido dollars, I was able to pick up a 32gb iPhone 3G S for ~$100!!! I was also fortunate to find out that I could pick up the phone at the Apple store instead of being put on Fido's waiting list so I got my phone right away as well (huge props to dj_rice for that one)!

C4S
07-08-2009, 02:45 AM
Everyone got that good $55 / month plan .. even my wife !!!

But when I call fido .. that rep said NO .. :thumbsdow

well, I guess I need to call them few more times!!

gqmw
07-13-2009, 02:53 PM
I haven't had data before so I'm kinda a noob with this. If I were to basically just use my phone mainly for IM, EMAIL, facebook. Occasionally maybe some other various sites, would I be okay with about 500mb?

mo_money2supe
07-13-2009, 04:01 PM
^^ Yeah, 500mb is more than plentiful for your purposes. Unless you keep your gps on everywhere you go, you're constantly looking up picture rich webpages, or you're on YouTube all the time, you likely won't even come close to 500mb. I only got it 'cause I'm always out in the field and use my Internet/gps daily.

dj_rice
07-13-2009, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by gqmw
I haven't had data before so I'm kinda a noob with this. If I were to basically just use my phone mainly for IM, EMAIL, facebook. Occasionally maybe some other various sites, would I be okay with about 500mb?

500MB is $25 right now, but theres a data promo ending July 30 that is 6GB for $30/month, get that if ur scared of reaching the 500MB limit

B4tMan
07-13-2009, 06:02 PM
$25 Loyalty Plan
200 Daytime
Unlimited Local
2500 Text Messages
No SAF

Same plan. Very good value

Mitsu3000gt, that seems as a very large amount. Some application have auto download features, maybe that's why

gqmw
07-15-2009, 12:25 AM
Would you guys know how much data would be used if you were to view stocks, maybe buy/sell, maybe read some stuff - say on globeinvestor, etc?

Redlyne_mr2
09-24-2009, 04:19 PM
ok so I tried getting 6G data for $30.. couldnt offer me that.. instead they were willing to do 1G for $30. Do i keep trying?

dj_rice
09-24-2009, 08:56 PM
The 6GB for $30 data thing was a promotion during that time that already expired, you can still try and leverage that you've been a loyal customers of theirs for awhile but I'm pretty sure they won't budge....if they won't budge, ask for a credit of $10 or something to offset

Make sure your talking to Customer Relations or Customer Retentions when your getting ur data plan as they have more power to give you what you want to retain you as a customer than Customer Service...and one most important thing to remember, if one agent you talk to doesnt give in and give you anything, try an hour later and get a different agent and might get different results, keep trying is the key, one might give you $5 credit, another might give you $20 credit....it took me 4 different CR agents to get my sweet plan

TC2002
09-27-2009, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
ok so I tried getting 6G data for $30.. couldnt offer me that.. instead they were willing to do 1G for $30. Do i keep trying?

I've played with the phone excessively since I got it in July and quite honestly, 1 GB was hard to go over in a month, even being on 3G most of the time and still maintaining a working and social life. :)