PDA

View Full Version : Calorie calcs for cycling seems high...

Super_Geo
06-21-2009, 11:20 AM
I just started road biking this year after being goaded by my 61 year old boss for being not in good as shape as he is. Though, in my defense he is a complete fitness nut and is in better shape than pretty much anyone I know regardless of age. He was the one who got me into stair climbing (http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=242833&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=1) and his best time so far is 24:05... unbelievable for someone in their sixties!

Anyway, I've been twice now and was curious on how many calories were being burned so I googled it.

My first ride was 44km long was pretty brutal considering the last time I rode a bike was in junior high. The first 10km was spent with me wobbling around while shifting gears and mangling my wrists cause I had so much weight shifted forward (probably cause I was so worried about falling off). I averaged 24.1km/hr (time while stopped not counted). I weigh ~175-180lbs, bike weighs 22lbs.

My second ride was a lot better... rode for 46km, averaged 26.8km/hr with significantly less time spent stopped.

There is no net elevation change cause we ride out for ~23km and then turn around and ride back. This is all in the city streets so there are red lights and stop signs thrown in the mix as well.

Anyway, from the calcs I've been looking up on the net... it says the calories burned range from 1,050 - 1,600! That seems really high... despite the fact that it's roughly a 2 hour ride (including stoppage).

swak
06-21-2009, 11:55 AM
include your stopped time, and it will most likely be more accurate.