PDA

View Full Version : How do you prep for a run?

cycosis
06-21-2009, 10:07 PM
So I finally managed to get myself motivated to start running and past that "initial hurdle" of going a couple times and quitting. My progress is great, Ive gone for being able to jog only 10 minutes to 5 km in 25 minutes (faster pace) and 45 minute 7 km jogs (slower pace). Nothing special but still great IMO form where Ive come from.

What Im wondering is how should you prepare for a run? Specific stretches? Not eating for a given amount of time before hand? Better to run early in the morning or at night?

Currently, Im going out around 9-9:30pm when its cool out. I also drink a litre of water 15 minutes before hand to make sure im hydrated.

PeterGTiR
06-21-2009, 10:33 PM
I find that when I eat pasta for my meal before, I can run a bit longer. I'll eat pasta and pizza lunch at 11:30 - noon, I notice that I'll have more energy at a 6:00pm run. There might be other things involved that give me more energy and it might not even be the pasta, but it seems to work...

Redlined_8000
06-21-2009, 10:51 PM
To prepare for a run, nothing special, you can do static stretching, or dynamic. The main area's to stretch, listed in importance (for most people) are:
1) Hamstrings
2) Glutes / Hip flexor
3) Shoulders
4) quads

The best time to run is the time your most likely to run.

By the way why do people love to jog so much? Sprinting can have even better cardiovascular effects, it makes you lean, explosive, easier on your joints too because the duration of jarring impact is reduced. You always see people jogging, but no one out on a field running sprints. IMO sprinting is superior to jogging, but I guess it does depend on your overall goals, for me endurance is not high on the list.

Hope this helps :poosie:

cycosis
06-22-2009, 11:44 AM
Doesn't have much to do with endurance. Just being active and getting rid of my beer gut. :thumbsup:

civic_rida
06-22-2009, 01:33 PM
What if you get bad shin splints?

nodoubtt
06-22-2009, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Redlined_8000
To prepare for a run, nothing special, you can do static stretching, or dynamic. The main area's to stretch, listed in importance (for most people) are:
1) Hamstrings
2) Glutes / Hip flexor
3) Shoulders
4) quads

The best time to run is the time your most likely to run.

By the way why do people love to jog so much? Sprinting can have even better cardiovascular effects, it makes you lean, explosive, easier on your joints too because the duration of jarring impact is reduced. You always see people jogging, but no one out on a field running sprints. IMO sprinting is superior to jogging, but I guess it does depend on your overall goals, for me endurance is not high on the list.

Hope this helps :poosie:

truth, can someone elaborate on this? I would rather start sprinting too (used to sprint in high school) but wondering if it'll be just as effective for weight loss, etc.

Trini
06-23-2009, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by civic_rida

if the ice pack and the bandages aren't working I strongly recommend you check a doctor, as they can lead to a stress fracture.

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/lowerleg/shinsplints.htm

I know the pain man, I suffered the entire of last summer for soccer. Pain was so bad I couldn't walk down a flight of stairs.

Trini
06-23-2009, 10:32 PM
oops messed up the post but anyhow

for the OP, I just stretch alot, drink enough water to be fully hydrated, make sure and not eat and go for a run too soon, I've felt upset when I made the mistake of doing that.

core_upt
06-24-2009, 02:05 PM
try to drink your water throughout the day and evening, rather than slamming a liter before going out. Space out your intake and hydrate while running.

Your eating schedule will really be a guess and test process. On my longer runs (15 to 18k) I ould eat nothing more than a banana before (these were first thing in the AM runs, mind you) and then i would eat sharkies or shot blocks when going longer than 45 minutes - about 20-25g of carbs for every 30 minutes of activity on runs lasting longer than 45.

For stretching - minimum stretching before hand - and no static stretches. There are a lot of good Dynamic stretches for runners - google a few and do these pre run. After running, stretch like HELL. And, get a foam roller for your IT bands - possibly the leading cause of injury in runners.

http://zappoman.wordpress.com/2007/01/15/dynamic-warm-up-pre-running-exercises/

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/flexibilityandstretching/ss/FoamRoller.htm

have fun running - I hope to start again and aim to run a 1/2 in October.

vtec4life
06-24-2009, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by civic_rida

I noticed that too when i first started jogging on the treadmill, did you just start?

If so id say take it easy for a week or so (fast paced walk) and then try it again, for me it went away after my body got used to the exercise

GigaGrantX
07-01-2009, 12:57 PM
Don't Listen to PeterGTiR, although his suggestion has some educated reasoning behind it, it is founded on some skewed principals. Slamming a bunch of Carbs a few hours before you run initially will give an increase in endurance and energy, however once that small store is depleted it will send your body into a sever catabolic state causing your body to focus on respiratory and protein degradation / muscle breakdown to produce ATP for energy to keep running. So you'll actually be getting weaker/ slower/ uglier/ dumber/ slower/ weaker/ and gayer.

Now carbs aren't bad, there essential and necessary, but eating a bunch right before cardio is a bit foolish

I recommend that you do your cardio in the morning, 3 reasons, cardio releases some endorphins that will make you feel good all day, it'll give a boost to your daily metabolic rate causing you to burn more calories through the day, and in the morning your stomach is empty, enhancing the effects of what ill tell you next...

Wake up, take 20 grams of Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAA'S) in 20 to 30 ounces of water, then sip a cup or two of coffee for the next 30 - 45 min and watch daily planet or post on beyond then throw your i-pod on blast some inspiring beats, your choice, I recommend manowar, helloween, Gamma Ray etc, and hit the road

The effects of the BCAA's: BCAA's are essential nutrients that your body needs to convert fat stores into ATP, taking these before your morning cardio sessions will give your body the necessary nutrients to focus on burning fat for energy rather then breaking down muscle, allowing you to run longer and having better effects....

claire909
07-07-2009, 01:59 AM
I must congratulate you for the speed you built up 5kms in 25 minutes incredible,it takes me around 5kms in 45 minutes.

claire909
07-08-2009, 01:35 AM
Well i start out by walking briskly then slowly start running and start picking up and reaching my normal speed after couple of rounds