PDA

View Full Version : cell phone choice?

Stratus_Power
08-20-2002, 11:26 PM
well im in need of a new cellphone so wondering which one is a good choice.. i cant afford fancy phone like v70 or t68i rite now.. im thinking..

v60c ( 1 yr-295) ( telus)
or
Sanyo SCP 5000 * the color one * ( 1yr- 295 ) ( telus)

or
LG TM520 ( 1yr 145) ( telus )
or
Nokia 8390 ( 2yr-99 with 1 free phone) ( rogers)

:dunno: :dunno:

HRD2PLZ
08-20-2002, 11:32 PM
I have the LG TM520 and I really like it. I got hooked up from a friend at Telus and get new phones for free all the time. She said the Motorola V60 are horrible, always getting them back for warranty work.
As for networks, I like Telus. For me, they have the best coverage (I've used all of our cell networks except for Bell Mobility). Customer service is pretty good too.

Good Luck :thumbsup:

Stratus_Power
08-20-2002, 11:33 PM
i heard to stay away from fido cuz they are selling soon like clearnet

HRD2PLZ
08-20-2002, 11:37 PM
Depends who they sell too. I didn't like their network or customer service though. Telus Mobility took over Clearnet. So in the end, Telus/Clearnet customers came out pretty good.

Stratus_Power
08-20-2002, 11:38 PM
rumors is that Rogers probably gonna buy fido :D

Dope Dealer
08-20-2002, 11:40 PM
Anything Telus ;)

I heard Rogers wasn't that good.

max_boost
08-21-2002, 12:05 AM
Sanyo SCP5000 from Telus!

D'z Nutz
08-21-2002, 12:13 AM
http://www.cnet.com/wireless/0-1923403.html?tag=stbc.gp

I just stumbled across this by accident. Let's you know the goods and bads of some phones.

Stratus_Power
08-21-2002, 12:15 AM
i've sorta narrow it down to v60 or sanyo.. sorta.. the LG feels sorta cheap ( well the price is cheap.. but the functions is as good as the v60 w/ dual display and way cheaper...) and my mom's nokia 8290 just broke ( after i broke my 3290?? and 6180??) so im having doubt w/ nokia...

the sanyo one looks good w/ color but its been out on the market for quite some time already..

Stratus_Power
08-21-2002, 12:34 AM
just found this on the sanyo ;(
"The sound quality for incoming calls on the 5000 is simply terrible. When there is a strong digital signal the phone sounds muddy and dull. Words that sound similar are difficult to differentiate at times. To make things worse the 5000 has a very sensitive antenna and has a lot of trouble finding service in places where the network signal is weak. Outgoing sound quality was similar, voices are muddy and slightly robotic.

Analog voice quality is quite typical of an analog phone, it sounds okay when the signal is strong and gets worse as the signal does.

Since the antenna is quite sensitive it's probably a good idea to pull it out because the 5K needs all the help it can get.

The microphone is extremely sensitive so don't talk to loud when using the phone.

Battery life is atrocious, with moderate usage you're looking at around 1 day of standby. This is mostly the screen's fault, one way to extend the battery life is to not use the backlight but then the phone is unusable indoors. I would have like to see an easy way to switch between the two.

"

nismodrifter
08-21-2002, 12:42 AM
LG-TM520 :thumbsup:

kenny
08-21-2002, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by Stratus_Power
rumors is that Rogers probably gonna buy fido :D

Rogers has no money, but if anyone should buy Fido it should be them.

RCBVtec
08-21-2002, 09:12 AM
i've sorta narrow it down to v60 or sanyo.. sorta.. the LG feels sorta cheap ( well the price is cheap.. but the functions is as good as the v60 w/ dual display and way cheaper...) and my mom's nokia 8290 just broke ( after i broke my 3290?? and 6180??) so im having doubt w/ nokia...

the sanyo one looks good w/ color but its been out on the market for quite some time already..

I work for Telus Mobility... I can tell you now not to buy the V60... the techs here think it's a piece, horrible phone... SCP 5000 also not the greatest... the LG TM 520 is a great phone, I have one too, it's new technology something called 1X or 3rd generation technology - NOT Cheap. Antoher phone that is amazing is the Samsung T300... all the dealers that I spoken too say either the T300 or LG is the phone to go with.

Don't go Fido, phones on the Fido network only work in major cities, they have no coverage in rural areas, or if you are driving to Edm or Red Deer no coverage while on the highway.

Rogers... well they are losing money, way bigger coverage area then Fido, but still not as big as Telus. I have heard their customer service is really lacking too (from previous customers)

Bell, well they use are network, they really haven't made an impact out here yet, it's kinda surprising actually...

so there's my speil... sorry it took so long

Redlyne_mr2
08-21-2002, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Sanyo SCP5000 from Telus!
I have the same one..it can be hooked to your computer..I have a bunch of killer midi file songs I uploaded set as my ringers. You can also put pics up to use as your phones screen wallpaper. Nothing like owning a phone that allows you to put up any kind of picture you want

Stratus_Power
08-21-2002, 09:57 AM
is it true about sanyo from the review? how the battery life is very short, and bad signal and wat not?

Redlyne_mr2
08-21-2002, 10:03 AM
is it true about sanyo from the review? how the battery life is very short, and bad signal and wat not?
in an analogue area the battery life is shit because the signal is always bouncing back and forth...I notice when I have my phone in a digital area such as Calgary it lasts forever...in major centers the signal is also kick ass..super clear and tons of reception..in analogue areas it still sounds good but if yo ugo into a basement or something it gets weaks...even though I live in Red Deer where my phone only gets analogue I am still happy with it. If I wasnt movign to Toronto right away where theres digital everywhere I might have bougth a different phone but I'm very happy with mine, plsu I hate having the same phone as everyone else

Stratus_Power
08-21-2002, 10:06 AM
good call.. guess im down to either the LG or the Sanyo ( really like a flip phone since i already broke 3 " normal" phone and my Timport p8767 is still working.. after i broke the antenna... and.. cracked the case...)

HRD2PLZ
08-21-2002, 10:11 AM
:rofl: The Timeport P8767's are beasts! I had one for a year and it was awesome :thumbsup: besides the fact that it was as basic as a cell phone gets :dunno:

Stratus_Power
08-21-2002, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by HRD2PLZ
:rofl: The Timeport P8767's are beasts! I had one for a year and it was awesome :thumbsup: besides the fact that it was as basic as a cell phone gets :dunno:

i know.. i was so piss when i found out i cant even send msg out w/ it!! even my 5 years old Nokia 5series can send out msg ;(

D'z Nutz
08-21-2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by RCBVtec

Rogers... well they are losing money, way bigger coverage area then Fido, but still not as big as Telus. I have heard their customer service is really lacking too (from previous customers)

Roger's customer service really licks nuts. My friend was signed with them ever since his first cell phone back in '95, but since he was under 18, he had to get the phone under his mom's name. Anyways, a couple years ago he had them change the contract so that it would have his name rather than his mom's (can't remember why. Credit purposes?). Which they did without any problems or hassle. At the time this was done, he probably had about 3 months left on his contract before it was up. Towards the end of those three months, he found out he actually had 9 months left to go because when he had the change of ownership, they took the liberty of renewing his contract for another year without even letting him know or getting his consent. What's up with that?!?

HRD2PLZ
08-21-2002, 11:04 AM
I didn't think they can renew without your consent. When my Telus contracts are up, they automatically go on a month to month plan until I call and verbally cancel or resign the contact on that phone :dunno:

D'z Nutz
08-21-2002, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by HRD2PLZ
I didn't think they can renew without your consent. When my Telus contracts are up, they automatically go on a month to month plan until I call and verbally cancel or resign the contact on that phone :dunno:

Well, apparently Roger's feels they can renew your contract without your consent.

I can sort of see from Roger's point of view as a cellular mobility company why they would renew your contract when you get a change of ownership, but what I don't understand is how they could do it without your consent. When my friend had the change of ownership done, it was all done over the phone, so they couldn't even get his signature on any paperwork. And they definitely didn't mention anything about a contract renewel, otherwise he wouldn't have gone through with it because he was looking forward to getting a new phone since his current phone was dying.

sml
08-21-2002, 12:54 PM
I have the LG TM-520 and I think it's a great phone! One of the better voice qualities I've heard and it looks nice, it's small and it's got lots of feature, except for GPS! :D Battery life's just like any other phone out there, but it does give you a full charge in 3 hours! :thumbsup: Only complain is stupid CallerID feature and phonebook search could be better. I've been with telus for 4 years now and I have coverage when some other's don't with Fido and Rogers.

silvercivicsir
08-21-2002, 03:21 PM
Hey you telus people you like the PER MINute billing ?

Redlyne_mr2
08-21-2002, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by silvercivicsir
Hey you telus people you like the PER MINute billing ?
shit I was told its per second....im fucked if its not

Stratus_Power
08-21-2002, 05:28 PM
its per sec if u go w/ monthly plans and per mins if u use pay as u go.. ( thats how i used 130 bucks worth of pay as u go time in a month w/ my timeport ).. i think....

i think im gonna get the LG, its 150 bucks cheaper and newer :D thanx all for the help

speedracer
08-21-2002, 05:33 PM
Been playing with a Nokia 9210 :thumbsup:
Very neat phone - too bad it's only $1g.