PDA

View Full Version : Water Softener Advice

cooperS
06-22-2009, 11:27 AM
Thinking of getting a water softener for my house since my company can get me deal at Trail Appliance.

Just got few questions for those who have experiences or knowledge with it

how can you tell if the plumbing is compatiable for it or not?
is it hard to try installing it yourself?

Thanks for advance!:thumbsup:

Tik-Tok
06-22-2009, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by cooperS

how can you tell if the plumbing is compatiable for it or not?
is it hard to try installing it yourself?

Any water softener is "compatible" with any household. There's better ways to do it, but at the very least you can hook it between your mainline, and hotwater tank.

It's never hard to try anything.

FiveFreshFish
06-22-2009, 02:02 PM
You'll need to rent a crimping tool to connect the water lines unless you've got copper pipes.

Installation is pretty straightforward. Not a bad first plumbing project.

sml
06-22-2009, 02:22 PM
I installed one this year. It came with the bypass valve which basically taps inline with the water line. Our house is newer so it uses PEX pipes which are very easy to work with. If you live in an older house, you might be running copper which migth require more skills to work with. With PEX, all you need are crimps and a crimper. Alternatively, you can use a product call sharkbite which is a toolless connector for PEX. With copper, you will need some kind of soldering and sweating skills. If you have PEX, I say go DIY but if not, I would pay $300 to get a plumber in to do it.

Tik-Tok
06-22-2009, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by sml
With copper, you will need some kind of soldering and sweating skills.

Soldering copper lines isn't hard at all, just make sure you put plenty of solder on, and around the joint.