PDA

View Full Version : Good credit counselling in Calgary?

Vagabond142
06-22-2009, 06:12 PM
Without going into much detail, I just got off the phone and I now have a bill that I didn't know I had that I cannot pay with my current income, at all. So, I'm looking at doing credit consolidation/counselling to avoid the R9 or bankruptcy threat looming a few months down the road (I think it's better to fix things before they become major problems rather than when they become those problems).

So, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good credit counselling advisor or company. I'm looking at maybe $4k worth of credit to consolidate (spread out over many bills), if that's of any importance.

roopi
06-22-2009, 06:18 PM
First step would be to try and setup a payment plan with the company that notified you about the unexpected bill. You can try explaining the situation to them and they may either cut part of the bill/interest or work out a payment plan.

Jonel
06-22-2009, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond142
Without going into much detail, I just got off the phone and I now have a bill that I didn't know I had that I cannot pay with my current income, at all. So, I'm looking at doing credit consolidation/counselling to avoid the R9 or bankruptcy threat looming a few months down the road (I think it's better to fix things before they become major problems rather than when they become those problems).

So, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good credit counselling advisor or company. I'm looking at maybe $4k worth of credit to consolidate (spread out over many bills), if that's of any importance.

Do you have any assets? Any cash in your banking account? Most banks will be more than happy to help you consolidate your debt as long as you have some assets and some cash in your account.

Vagabond142
06-23-2009, 03:52 AM
Jonel: To be brutally honest about things, the only assets a bank would have any interest that I have right now are my computer and my car. My car is a hunk o shit and my computer is my baby. I am getting about $200 into my account every month, and that's it. I am desperately searching for a job, ANY job. I've applied to, jeez, 300-400 companies now? And I've only had about 20 interviews, and none of them lead to positions.

Another annoying bit is that my bank is branchless. I'm with President's Choice Financial (what student wouldn't like a bank with no fees? :D).

Roopi: I did have a good talk with em, and as it stands I'm shit outta luck. I have to pay $60 a month or the entire owing balance all at once or I go to collections. It's a miracle that they're allowing me to go monthly because I didn't know about the bill for about 9 months and they were ready to hand me a "pay us or you get R9" letter.

Altogether, with the amount of income I currently have and the prospects of getting any more seemingly a distant dream, I would rather consolidate, have everything PAID, and do a credit counselled repayment to the company that did the payment, vs try to juggle everything and end up in deep shit.

SilverRex
06-23-2009, 06:28 AM
oops wrong thread

Vagabond142
06-23-2009, 06:45 AM
XD

Redlyne_mr2
06-23-2009, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Vagabond142
Jonel: To be brutally honest about things, the only assets a bank would have any interest that I have right now are my computer and my car. My car is a hunk o shit and my computer is my baby. I am getting about $200 into my account every month, and that's it. I am desperately searching for a job, ANY job. I've applied to, jeez, 300-400 companies now? And I've only had about 20 interviews, and none of them lead to positions.

Another annoying bit is that my bank is branchless. I'm with President's Choice Financial (what student wouldn't like a bank with no fees? :D).

Roopi: I did have a good talk with em, and as it stands I'm shit outta luck. I have to pay $60 a month or the entire owing balance all at once or I go to collections. It's a miracle that they're allowing me to go monthly because I didn't know about the bill for about 9 months and they were ready to hand me a "pay us or you get R9" letter.

Altogether, with the amount of income I currently have and the prospects of getting any more seemingly a distant dream, I would rather consolidate, have everything PAID, and do a credit counselled repayment to the company that did the payment, vs try to juggle everything and end up in deep shit.

I would try and juggle for as long as you can, credit counselling is looked at as a bankruptcy by most lenders and it will make it very difficult for you to get credit when you're back on your feet. Sorry to hear about your troubles. :(

G
06-23-2009, 10:10 AM
Can't borrow from family? $4k isn't a whole lot of money to go thru the credit counseling route.

KyleTA
06-23-2009, 04:02 PM
http://www.mcdonalds.ca/en/careers/index.aspx

better than nothin...