PDA

View Full Version : Asking for minimum severance if laid off BEFORE being hired??

core_upt
06-23-2009, 09:00 AM
Hey,

So, I'm interviewing for a new job right now (advertising related), just through the second interview. The opportunity is better, but i am a little concerned that if the economy doesn't pick up within the next 9 months or so, or at least advertising budgets are slashed even more, I could be potentially laid off after starting.

I'd like to think that this company, who are very well established, aren't planning on hiring just to let someone go in the short term, but you never really know what can happen.

My question - is there any way to ask for a minimum package or guarantee of employment after probation? Could I ask for say, 12 months guaranteed salary? Has anyone ever tried anything like this?

Thoughts?

snoop101
06-23-2009, 09:56 AM
Only thing I can think of is that if there pciking between you and lets say 2 others you pretty much would screw your chance if you asked for that. At times like these you should be happy your getting the job. I know it sucks, but theres others out there that would take it.

Sugarphreak
06-23-2009, 10:01 AM

SilverGS
06-23-2009, 10:17 AM
If this is a full time position I have never heard of a guarantee paid period.

First off, don't negotiate until you are offered the position. Then at least you know you are the first choice.

Severance is usually there to reward long term employees that are being let go at no fault of their own. Most companies have a set schedule to determine what that will be. I don't think severance is even actually required until you work for a company for at least 5 years and the company makes a certain amount of money.

Unless you have multiple offers on the table I agree with snoop that if its a job you want to do then take it for now. If anything you may be able to negotiate your salary a bit. There are no guarantee's especially in this economy. Just like the company has no guarantee that you won't jump ship to another company after they train you in good times.

masoncgy
06-23-2009, 10:22 AM
mmmm... I wouldn't be too concerned if they are hiring for the position, it is obvious that it is needed, even with the downturn.

Most companies that are suffering from the recession have already placed hiring freezes or have shed/are shedding positions.

I think you'll be okay taking the job without conditions. ;)

Euro838
06-23-2009, 10:33 AM
Pretty simple answer here, they will follow the Alberta Labour standard. If they lay you off during the probationary period, they are not required to provide notice. After the probationary period, it's usually 2 weeks notice or in lieu of.

There is no guarantee of how long they must keep you or how much they must pay you. Does not make sense from the employer perspective in good or bad times.

Most contracts with contractors have clauses that allow an employer to terminate the contract(at any point) with 2 weeks notice even though the contract is 6 mos or 1 year.

I'd be surprised if any employers would even discuss this point let alone negotiate on it.

core_upt
06-23-2009, 11:01 AM
Ok - good points by all. I would feel pretty sheepish asking for it - I think it would pretty much say I have little faith in both the companies and my abilities...

If shit went down, severance can apparently be negotiated at the time of dismissal. Not sure how much I could get, but the discussion is best left to then.

Thanks!

Super_Geo
06-23-2009, 11:20 AM
My friend had done this when he jumped from EnCana to a smaller oil company.

You have a shitload more leverage if you are currently employed. His terms of employment are: if he gets laid off, he gets 1 year severance.

No if, ands or buts. Laid off = 1 year's pay. That was his term for joining up... I think he was 2.5 years out of university when he made the jump.

I give him mad props for knowing his market value and leveraging himself appropriately.

snoop101
06-23-2009, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
My friend had done this when he jumped from EnCana to a smaller oil company.

You have a shitload more leverage if you are currently employed. His terms of employment are: if he gets laid off, he gets 1 year severance.

No if, ands or buts. Laid off = 1 year's pay. That was his term for joining up... I think he was 2.5 years out of university when he made the jump.

I give him mad props for knowing his market value and leveraging himself appropriately.

Did he ask for that or did they offer that? If thats a policy its different then what the OP wants to do which is actually ask for that.

4DoorGTZ
06-23-2009, 11:25 AM
I have a friend who got offered a position in a O&G servicing company before finishing his program at SAIT. School finishes takes a month for them to get straightened out he moves out to Drayton Valley, buys a condo (should ave rented) buys a car (always borrowed mom&dad's car befor) works for 1.5weeks and they close down the shop. He was told he could take that as being let go or go work in their Grand Prairie location..... crappy situation so no he's renting in GP and has a condo on the market in Drayton.

Super_Geo
06-23-2009, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by snoop101

Did he ask for that or did they offer that? If thats a policy its different then what the OP wants to do which is actually ask for that.

Asked for it. Standard company policy is 1 month per year of employment or something like that...

R-Audi
06-23-2009, 11:26 AM
I think you at least discuss something like the above scenario....

You are leaving a steady job with one of their competitors... this isnt exactly an entry level position and I think once they go past the 2nd interview its at least worth discussing. Maybe not directly asking for guaranteed severance, but asking what their future plans and needs are.. my feeling is if they are hiring right now... they wouldnt be looking at letting someone go in the near future from that position.

SilverGS
06-23-2009, 12:00 PM
It all depends on who has the power. If you currently are employed and they really want you then you can ask for lot of stuff. If you are not employed and they have 5 qualified candidates then you are not going to get anything. It is a fine line to walk since getting hired could be dependant on how demandning you are.

Although not absolute the current market conditions would suggest the latter of the two but I have no idea how the advertising industry is doing so can't really say.

ExtraSlow
06-23-2009, 12:48 PM
A "softer" way to ask about this is to ask about their financial stability, and the growth (or shrinkage) potential for that department. Those are questions that won't piss off the interviewer.

lint
06-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by core_upt
My question - is there any way to ask for a minimum package or guarantee of employment after probation? Could I ask for say, 12 months guaranteed salary? Has anyone ever tried anything like this?

I'm hoping raj2 chimes in with his opinion on this, but if you asked me that question, in this economy, with this many qualified job hunters out there, I'd politely end the interview and scratch you off the list.

If you were the shit, and I mean the absolute fucking SHIT, who was indispensible to the company, then I would do everything I could to keep you from being laid off. That is AFTER you've proven your worth to my company, not your current employer.

What is the upside for the company in this scenario anyways? Economy goes to shit, losing money, still have to pay out the newbie with nothing to do because the economy is shit?

drew_goring
06-24-2009, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by 4DoorGTZ
I have a friend who got offered a position in a O&G servicing company before finishing his program at SAIT. School finishes takes a month for them to get straightened out he moves out to Drayton Valley, buys a condo (should ave rented) buys a car (always borrowed mom&dad's car befor) works for 1.5weeks and they close down the shop. He was told he could take that as being let go or go work in their Grand Prairie location..... crappy situation so no he's renting in GP and has a condo on the market in Drayton.

Weatherford?

BlackArcher101
06-24-2009, 05:14 PM
I'd laugh at the thought of asking for guaranteed severance even if the economy was good.

CUG
06-25-2009, 02:08 AM
Get the job, do a good job, stay employed, hoard your money while you're working.

Impreza
06-25-2009, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

If you have to ask on Beyond, you probably won't get it. Anybody worth that kind of gauranteed salary already knows it IMO.
:werd: Well said.

urban.one
06-25-2009, 10:17 AM
lolz.

I dont know how the advertising industry works but such severance packages are normally reserves for senior management and up.

If youre an exceptional candidate you would have a better chance negotiating a signing bonus rather than a severance.

Originally posted by core_upt
Hey,

So, I'm interviewing for a new job right now (advertising related), just through the second interview. The opportunity is better, but i am a little concerned that if the economy doesn't pick up within the next 9 months or so, or at least advertising budgets are slashed even more, I could be potentially laid off after starting.

I'd like to think that this company, who are very well established, aren't planning on hiring just to let someone go in the short term, but you never really know what can happen.

Thoughts?