PDA

View Full Version : was there photo radar on crowchild?!?!?

2000impreza
08-20-2002, 11:46 PM
i have two questions. first. anyone know if there was photoradar on crowchild around 11:00PM? second. how do you know if you got a photoradar at night? is there suppose to be a flash??? anyone?!?!?!?

D'z Nutz
08-20-2002, 11:48 PM
There should be a flash.

RX-7_TWINTURBO
08-20-2002, 11:49 PM
Multi nova flashes at night
i thought i saw a flash too but i didnt see anything parked on the side of the road

Fuck i hope it was lightning or somthing cuz i dont wanna pay for a ticket

kaput
08-20-2002, 11:49 PM

Stratus_Power
08-20-2002, 11:52 PM
i heard its on their website.. plice website..

2000impreza
08-20-2002, 11:55 PM
anyone know the website? so no flash no ticket?

rage2
08-20-2002, 11:57 PM
There's been photo radar on crowchild under the shaganappi bridge the last few nights. Guess someone noticed me speeding there and ratted me out =). Flash is super bright, I could even see it when I'm stopped on shaganappi on the bridge!

D'z Nutz
08-21-2002, 12:01 AM
Yeah, it's pretty noticeable. I was driving home on 16th ave and right as I was about to head under the overpass, there was a bright flash behind the pillars. When I passed by, I saw that there was a cop parked between the 2 pillars and he nailed the guy that just passed him.

2000impreza
08-21-2002, 12:06 AM
how do you know there is photoradar setup? all i seen was a police van. thats it. and i didn't notice any bright flash or anything. if i didn't see a flash i didn't get a ticket right?

RX-7_TWINTURBO
08-21-2002, 12:10 AM
Multi novas are usally on trucks with tinted back windows on the side of the road

anyone know of other setups not using vehicles ?

Stratus_Power
08-21-2002, 12:12 AM
i saw one on my way from edmonton back to calgary, it was a truck w/ tinted glass w/ a photoradar sign rite in front of it :D

2000impreza
08-21-2002, 12:14 AM
you guys say these lights are suppose to be super bright. how bright are they? should you be able to know that you got a photoradar? cause to be honest i didn't see a flash. unless it was too dim for me to see.

D'z Nutz
08-21-2002, 12:18 AM
Well, the flash would have to be bright enough for the camera to take a photo of a moving vehicle at night....

2000impreza
08-21-2002, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Well, the flash would have to be bright enough for the camera to take a photo of a moving vehicle at night....

ok good. i think i'm safe.

another note to everyone on beyond. STREET RACING IS STUPID. ANYONE THAT DOES IT IS FUCKING RETARDED!!!

D'z Nutz
08-21-2002, 12:30 AM
How fast were you going??

That leads me to a question... Does photoradar tend to be pretty "generous" with people who exceed the speed limit?? There's been a few occassions when I've sped past photo radar, but I've yet to receive any fines in the mail. And when I say sped, I don't mean anything excessive. 10-15km/h at the very most, just because I was careless. My friend went to pay a fine once and the people there said that they usually don't bother if you're only 10-15 over the posted speed limit. (Of course, this could be in reference to roads with speeds of 70+)

2000impreza
08-21-2002, 12:33 AM
sorry. i can't say. all i'm going to say is i'm a slow driver now.

BOTTOM LINE
i didn't see any sort of a flash so i didn't get a ticket. all i seen was a police van and i freaked out.

D'z Nutz
08-21-2002, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by 2000impreza
sorry. i can't say. all i'm going to say is i'm a slow driver now.

Ahhh... I see :D Well, let's see if you get your photo finish in the mail in the next couple of days :)

Stratus_Power
08-21-2002, 12:46 AM
i think its 10 km over limit :P i got a few of those tickets where i was only like 12 or 14 over ;( ( ie 72 in a 60 zone..grrrr)

i heard there is a few sec in between each flash .. so if u r sorta behind a car and speeding w/him, they will take a pic and u will pass rite by while its... ummm reloading?

2000impreza
08-21-2002, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Stratus_Power
i think its 10 km over limit :P i got a few of those tickets where i was only like 12 or 14 over ;( ( ie 72 in a 60 zone..grrrr)

i heard there is a few sec in between each flash .. so if u r sorta behind a car and speeding w/him, they will take a pic and u will pass rite by while its... ummm reloading?

have you got photoradar tickets at night before? how bright was the flash?

i'm still worried. does anyone know if they have some sort of device to take a picture without a flash?

Stratus_Power
08-21-2002, 12:58 AM
hmm almost all my tickets are during the day time as i dont go out at nite much too often ;P i got one at nite before but i didnt get the tickets til like weeks later and i dont even remember anything from that nite ;P dont recalling seeing any flash.. but this is like.. last year.. cant even remember whcih month :banghead: :banghead:

redline_13000
08-21-2002, 01:17 AM
do they ever have photo radar mounted under bridges ? if so i have lots of tickets from deerfoot and 16th:banghead:

Stratus_Power
08-21-2002, 01:34 AM
hey when they have photo radar sign on the road ( liek the ones on 14th ) does that mean they might set up radar there or there is a 24/7 radar mounted somewhere?

kenny
08-21-2002, 01:45 AM
Multanova uses flash day and night. They are going all out with speed traps. There was one in Arbor Lake today, on my favorite road, luckily I never speed.

If you're so worried about photo radar and stuff, get a V1. Lets me know of photo radar well in advance so I can wave to the cop.

Originally posted by Stratus_Power
hey when they have photo radar sign on the road ( liek the ones on 14th ) does that mean they might set up radar there or there is a 24/7 radar mounted somewhere?

Thats to comply with laws. They have to let motorists know where there may be speed traps, and photo radar locations. The way the city gets around this is by putting those signs every 500 meters all around the city (or so it seems).

2000impreza
08-21-2002, 02:14 AM
check out this link:
http://www.calgarypolice.ca/news/photoradar.html

Stratus_Power
08-21-2002, 02:22 AM
hmm does that mean everywhere else is save for photo radar

2000impreza
08-21-2002, 02:30 AM
Photo radar will also be set up in communities where residents have reported traffic concerns

probably not. if the cops get reports of speeders they will set it up where ever.

who would be stupid enough to report speeders on crowchild:dunno:

DSM Power
08-21-2002, 09:32 AM
I'm too lazy to quote all your questions so here goes with random answers... :p

* Yes the flash is bright, and the damn thing even works in heavy rain. :madred:
* The limit to nail you probably changes but the only one I ever got on Deerfoot was for doing a lousy 14 km/h over the limit. Sheesh, if you're going to give me one at least get me doing my usual wayyyy over the limit... :rolleyes:
* They do have a stand-alone version that I've seen the police using on 32nd ave right by the golf course.

Finally, vehicles I've seen with the camera in them
* Black Jimmy or Blazer (newer)
* Two-tone brown Ford Ranger (old)
* Red Pontiac Parisienne (old beater)
* The classic dark blue minivan (Ford I think)

I know they have more vehicles than these... they are usually pretty obvious because they're parked at the side of the road (DUH) and they always have the back windows all smoked out.

Just my friendly tips... now if they would actually set these things up in the playground zones where the "real" danger is I'd be okay with them. :rolleyes: :angel:

Stratus_Power
08-21-2002, 10:09 AM
add to your list a dark purple Dodge caravan ( about.. 98 nish)

2000impreza
08-21-2002, 10:19 AM
is there such a thing as low light photoradar camera since the street is pretty lighted? by a bright flash do you know when you got one?

kaput
08-21-2002, 10:37 AM

2000impreza
08-21-2002, 10:42 AM
was it at night or day time? i've got one in the day time before and i didn't notice anything. from what everyone is posting at night it should be a super bright flash to be bright enough to get your licence plate.

B17a
08-21-2002, 10:48 AM
During the day, it's tough to see the flash if you're not paying attention. At night, you could drive blindfolded and still see the flash.:thumbsup:

Audi Kid
08-21-2002, 11:38 AM
haha dont worry man we are fine!!!!! peace

2000impreza
08-21-2002, 10:02 PM
i hope so. i've been doing some research on this. i heard from a very reliable source calgary police is getting or aready has a pr-100 photoradar system. runs on Ka band so its hard to detect because most if not all radar dectectors give off a ka band signal. the pr100 requires no flash to take a picture of the licence plate. it just has to be setup in a bright lighted area. like on crowchild right before the construction area...... so if it was the pr100 setup there i'm fucked.

kenny
08-22-2002, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by 2000impreza
i hope so. i've been doing some research on this. i heard from a very reliable source calgary police is getting or aready has a pr-100 photoradar system. runs on Ka band so its hard to detect because most if not all radar dectectors give off a ka band signal. the pr100 requires no flash to take a picture of the licence plate. it just has to be setup in a bright lighted area. like on crowchild right before the construction area...... so if it was the pr100 setup there i'm fucked.

Current photo radar in Calgary runs on Ka band already. Edmonton Police use photo radar that runs off K band. Ka band is very easy to detect, my V1 goes off well in advance for photo radar as long as there are cars in front of me for it to reflect off of. When there are no cars, I still get adequate warning, but it is reduced because the radar gun is aimed away from my V1.

You are right though... some radar detectors (cheap ones usually) set off my V1's Ka band detection.

boi-alien
08-22-2002, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by kenny

<snip>
You are right though... some radar detectors (cheap ones usually) set off my V1's Ka band detection.

interesting! i should buy a super cheap detector and drive around kenny hehehe btw, i think i saw your car today kenny.... won't say where, but nice shit getting done....

2000impreza
08-22-2002, 01:02 AM
the Multanova requires a bright flash so its noticeable. but the pr100 doesn't require a flash. i wonder if calgary police have the pr100 setup in action yet:confused:

GTS Jeff
08-22-2002, 02:57 AM
what im wondering is when the radar locks in on your speed. does it do it when u are approaching or leaving the camera?

kenny
08-22-2002, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
what im wondering is when the radar locks in on your speed. does it do it when u are approaching or leaving the camera?

Leaving. You are clocked as you PASS the photo radar unit and if you are speeding, it snaps the photo. Which is why many people argue that photo radar is useless because people just slam on their brakes until they are far enough away from the radar then resume speeding.

GTS Jeff
08-22-2002, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by kenny

Leaving. You are clocked as you PASS the photo radar unit and if you are speeding, it snaps the photo. Which is why many people argue that photo radar is useless because people just slam on their brakes until they are far enough away from the radar then resume speeding. sweet. so me freaking out and jamming the brakes whenever i see a truck/van on the side of the road is a good thing :clap:

James
08-22-2002, 03:28 AM
Ive heard if there is ANY OTHER vehicle in the Picture, they cant give you the ticket, or you can fight it with ease, anyone know if this is true?:dunno: :confused:

Audi Kid
08-22-2002, 11:53 AM
we where dead even beside eachother soooo..