PDA

View Full Version : How to determine custom charges/duty fees when buying from ebay?

charmin
06-23-2009, 11:06 PM
I googled this and came up with an overwhelming amount of contradictory information and now clueless on whether customs charges will apply to this item or not.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Mirror-Screen-Protector-for-LG-AX-830-Glimmer_W0QQitemZ260427228535QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPDA_Accessories?hash=item3ca2ac2577&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1215|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

It's worth at most $5 CAD and shipping is free from Hong Kong. I've read that customs do not apply to items purchased declared to be worth under $20, but then I've heard of people being charged brokerage fees regardless of item worth.

:confused:

FullMetal
06-23-2009, 11:40 PM
most of the time when the shipper sends something to you saying its a gift then they dont charge you, i bought an intake from ebay and the guy sent it stating its a gift and i didnt even have to sign to get the intake the guy just droped it off and left

510-Trevor
06-23-2009, 11:52 PM
The limit is $20 but there are exceptions:

From the website (linked below):

The item’s value in Canadian dollars
Under the provisions of the Postal Imports Remission Order, if someone mails you an item worth CAN$20 or less, you don’t have to pay duty or taxes on the item. If the item is worth more than CAN$20, you must pay the applicable duty, the GST or HST, and any PST on the item’s full value.

Items that do not qualify for the CAN$20 exemption include the following:

•tobacco;
•books;
•periodicals;
•magazines;
•alcoholic beverages; and
•goods ordered through a Canadian post office box or a Canadian intermediary.
Handling fees
When items are imported into Canada by mail, Canada Post charges the recipient either a $5 handling fee for collecting duty and taxes on behalf of the CBSA, or an $8 handling fee if the item was sent by Priority Courier. If a mail item is duty free and tax exempt, neither fee is charged.

All amounts must be paid at the time of delivery (by cash, certified cheque, VISA, MasterCard or your Canada Post commercial account).

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/duty-droits-eng.html