PDA

View Full Version : Amazing detail work

TravisJ
06-25-2009, 10:26 AM
I recently brought my car to a detailing professional with the thought that it needed a good wash and wax. Overall, I thought I kept my car's finish in good shape (although I dropped it off after a track day so it was filthy). I have to say, I was genuinely amazed at the results when I went to pick up my car. Here are a couple of 50/50 shots to give you a flavor of what was done...

(It should be noted that most of the scratches you see on the unfinished sides are microabrasions in the clearcoat. These aren't real noticable unless you are looking close but all contribute to a rather dull look.)
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q122/Nica03151979/2004%20Maserati/_MG_0993.jpg
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q122/Nica03151979/2004%20Maserati/_MG_1013.jpg

Kloubek
06-25-2009, 10:34 AM
Genuine display regarding the detail work, or simply a thread to show off your Maserati? :)

Seriously - great difference in the paint!

TravisJ
06-25-2009, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Genuine display regarding the detail work, or simply a thread to show off your Maserati? :)

Seriously - great difference in the paint!

Just a thread regarding the detail work (I edited out the shots that show it is a Mas so I don't have to deal with posts like yours). I was genuinely amazed at how well it turned out. I really did think the paint was in good condition before I brought it in. Now, the color is 10x more vibrant. I have a new appreciation for a proper detail.

Ekliptix
06-25-2009, 12:26 PM
and what shop did you use?

TravisJ
06-25-2009, 01:47 PM
I used Detailing Bliss in the southwest. 1st class operation all the way.

2EFNFAST
06-25-2009, 01:59 PM
Unfortunately you'll probably swirl it back up with improper washing technique :cry:

Not a knock on you or anything, just simple fact - if you don't know how to polish, chances are you don't realize what you're doing is inflicting the marring.

Of course that's not necessarily a bad thing, because once you know about paint correction you tend to go off the deep end keeping it swirl free......it's a game you can never win :cry:

ExtremeSi
06-25-2009, 02:01 PM
Post up the Maserati shots again. Forget about the haters!

Joe-G
06-25-2009, 02:34 PM
Wow, that detail was awesome. Makes me want to learn how to do it myself.

TravisJ
06-25-2009, 02:37 PM
Here is the write up he did with each step of the process. Pretty cool stuff...

http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/f47/2004-maserati-warning-lots-pictures-10276.html

GQBalla
06-25-2009, 02:58 PM
is Carlos (detailing bliss) part of calgary detail?

don't mean to name call or anything just wondering

they used to post on here

http://forums.beyond.ca/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=6776690

and when i tried to call them everyday for two weeks last summer they never picked up

SilverGS
06-25-2009, 02:58 PM
Beautiful!

How much is it to get that kind of correction done?

hash
06-25-2009, 03:07 PM
Here's another guide -

www.thedetailinghandbook.com

It was originally intended for s2000 owners, but works for any car really. really good guide for a beginner.

TravisJ
06-25-2009, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
is Carlos (detailing bliss) part of calgary detail?

No, he is a solo operation.

TravisJ
06-25-2009, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by SilverGS
Beautiful!

How much is it to get that kind of correction done?

Depends on the amount of work a car needs and the wax used. My detail was around $700 but that was with his top line wax. The same job with a mid-grade wax would probably be around $500.

2EFNFAST
06-25-2009, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by TravisJ

Depends on the amount of work a car needs and the wax used. My detail was around $700 but that was with his top line wax. The same job with a mid-grade wax would probably be around $500.

What type of wax he using - SwissVax's paul dalton's crystal rock?

edit: just read the thread, it's zymol vintage. for those that don't know, it retails for $2k/container, but you get free refills for life. If he's charging 200 for use it, that's not a bad idea for business - 10 usages of it pays for itself, then free refills (pure profit) from there. (although vintage is one of my least favorite upper waxes, but that's neither here nor there, heh)

TravisJ
06-25-2009, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

it's zymol vintage. for those that don't know, it retails for $2k/container, but you get free refills for life. If he's charging 200 for use it, that's not a bad idea for business - 10 usages of it pays for itself, then free refills (pure profit) from there. (although vintage is one of my least favorite upper waxes, but that's neither here nor there, heh)

You are right, it can make good business sense to charge a premium and then just get the free refill down the road. He told me professional detailers pay quite a bit more than $2K for the wax. I asked him, "how would Zymol ever know". He said, "they get the picture when you ask for a refill too often". Makes sense.

SilverGS
06-25-2009, 04:05 PM

Thanks.

I would like to get my car polished and waxed. I clay bared it last year but just finding the time to do the rest has been a challenge so far this year. Plus probably want to clay it again anyways.

2EFNFAST
06-25-2009, 05:28 PM

You are right, it can make good business sense to charge a premium and then just get the free refill down the road. He told me professional detailers pay quite a bit more than $2K for the wax. I asked him, "how would Zymol ever know". He said, "they get the picture when you ask for a refill too often". Makes sense.

Hmmm, they might then be cracking down lately - recently I've heard of it taking people moooooooooooooooooooooonths to get their jar refilled.