PDA

View Full Version : New phone options (BB or Iphone)

teknical
06-25-2009, 11:41 AM
Alright, so my contract will be up in the middle of July and I am starting to research for a new phone. I was looking at the BB Storm but after some research I noticed there may be a second generation Storm being released later on this year.

I don't want to get one now if there is a newer gen being released in a couple months. Would I be better off with the 3GS? Anyone with a storm that could post a few pros/cons about it? Or anyone with a 3GS? Thanks!

Much Appreciated Beyond! :thumbsup:

beyondpinoy
06-25-2009, 11:57 AM
just get the bold! :thumbsup:

rumeo
06-25-2009, 12:00 PM
I'm not a fan of BB browsing so go for the iPhone!

Speed_69
06-25-2009, 12:02 PM
Blackberry Tour coming out on July 15th :thumbsup:

Tezzating
06-25-2009, 12:07 PM
Work gives me a Blackberry and I've used it for a few months.. I bought a 3GS for personal use on Monday. Which is better ?

3GS for me.. the app's alone make it worthwhile getting. Aside from games and toys, there's a lot of awesome utilities.
Serious ones like XE for currency conversions, Cheap Gas for finding the cheapest fuel near by.
Utilities like RDP clients, network range ping, internet speed tests, Citrix client are all valuable tools for me.

The memory is a double edged sword. You get gigs of space in the iPhone, but you cant upgrade it. BB comes with a couple of hundred megs, but you can install whatever size SD card you like, and upgrade.

The Storm's click face fails with constant use, know someone who's already worn one out.. but I do like the tactile response.

iPhone now supports custom ring tones, and has a decent camera. I'd put them on-par on that front.

I never used the movie or audio functions on the BB, but I think its safe to say the iPhone sounds better. It is, after all, an iPod that makes calls :P

Oh and right out of the box iPhone works with Hotmail, Yahoo Mail, GMail, any POP3 or Exchange IMAP. iPhone Mail > BB Mail support.

teknical
06-25-2009, 12:57 PM
I don't like the bold due to the screen not being big enough for me.

What is the Tour? Is that like the 'Magnum'? Touch Screen w/ Keyboard?

What sort of apps are available for the BB? I really just wanted it for BB Messenger but I suppose I could live with something else on Apples side :)

Thanks for the responses guys!

Red@8
06-25-2009, 01:43 PM
I am in the same position as you teknical. I am trying to decide between storm and 3gs. I have had a chance to play with both briefly. I think it really depends on what you use it for.

The iphone is fantastic for the apps, the bb cant come close. I found though that the bb can do a lot of the same stuff (in terms of apps) just not as easily.

For me the bb has mass media storage function which is almost a deal breaker that the iphone doesnt, i found the speaker to be louder on the bb but not really a big deal and i found the call clarity to be a little better on the BB but that could be network or subjective on my part. I think the most mem you can get on the storm is 16gb while the 3gs has 32gb?!?!?!

The iphone has wifi which may be a deal breaker for some.

Visually the iphone is king, as in i found it to be much more esthetically appealing and i think it was easier to use if you have never used a bb or an iphone. I am a current bb user so the storm had a small learning curve for me.

I think i am going to get the storm becuase of the mass media storage and verizon has a better plan for me. I think they are both superb phones. A lot of internet reviews really had me doubting the storm until i actually got one to test and spend some time with. Apparently the last "update" really did wonders for the phone as well and a lot of the reviews on the net are before that.

See if you can get your hands on either phone and play with them. It may simply come down to personal preference.

As for the storm 2 coming out. NO one seems to have any real idea as to when it will come out or what specs it has. I was thinking i would wait for it as well. BUt since there is no actual release date i/we may be waiting quite a while (end of the year?). Not to mention that if it is as terrible as the first release of the storm was then i will pass thanks.

teknical
06-25-2009, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the response Red!

I have friends/family in both worlds (Iphone and BB) and they both have logical reasons for me to go either route.

For me I guess it comes down to media storage, instant messaging, apps (more so then games), A large data plan (probably 6gb), photo taking (for concerts ;) ) as well as WiFi.

Each phone has individual pros and very limited cons. I guess it will have to come down to personal preference when I (or we) have the phone in my (or our) hands ;)

Thanks again for everyones responses!

sneek
06-25-2009, 03:37 PM
Get a blackberry bold. There is nothing like a fixed keyboard. Sure it is nice to have a large screen, but it just isn't practical to have a touch screen. I guess an iPhone makes sense if you want to view graphics on your phone...but other wise get a bold or tour!

tr4cti0n
06-27-2009, 10:34 AM
Android?

gqmw
07-12-2009, 03:44 PM
I'm in the same dilemma as you, my contract is expiring I can either renew now and stay with telus - get the tour. Or go to rogers get a bold. - I'm assuming the onyx will probably come out for rogers so possibly upgrade later.

However, I heard the tour doesn't come with wifi? So that's kinda something I could probably do without but I would really like.

Does anyone know when the bb onyx comes out?

crzycroat
07-12-2009, 04:43 PM
I owned both. I gave up the iPhone after about 10 months. I hated the touch screen and it seemed really childish after a while. I then bought the BlackBerry Bold and I'm a proud owner for over 5 months now. The keyboard is so sick! So much better then the 8900. I must admit that the camera is pretty shitty but it's good enough to take quick snap shots if you don't have your camera with you. You should also consider getting the BlackBerry Tour. I played with it yesterday and it seems pretty sick!

dannie
07-12-2009, 04:53 PM
Have you thought about picking up an unlocked Sony Ericsson Xperia?

http://www.sonyericsson.com/x1/

I have had the BB Curve, Palm Treo, iPhone and now I have the Xperia. I would not go back to any of the other ones. Too many glitches, odd systems, not enough memory, not as easy to maneuver through the systems.

The x1 is a bit more $$, but I have had it since Feb and I still love it.

DarkDream
07-14-2009, 11:34 PM
I found the X1 a little laggy.

Ihatetowait
07-14-2009, 11:43 PM
I had the chance to play with both phones extensively, and went with the iphone. Everything with 1 small click, be it the weather, emails, texting, facebook, music... It's the ultimate for on-the-go lifestyles.

SpoonEK9@STRD
07-14-2009, 11:59 PM
i'd go for the 8900 curve for phone/messenger/email. The bold is huge! The 3g isnt worth the weight/size, as internet browsing is pimitive compared to iphone. If your heavy internet user, id get the iphone. It tethers up nicely with a laptop for internet on the go too.

cdnsir
07-15-2009, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Speed_69
Blackberry Tour coming out on July 15th :thumbsup:

Yup, just released earlier today at $230 on 3 year term. Newer, smaller, and cheaper than a Bold which is at $300 for 3 years.

teknical
07-15-2009, 10:31 AM
no wifi though correct? on the Tour.

JordanLotoski
07-15-2009, 10:31 AM
I just got the BB tour..its pretty cool

TorqueDog
07-15-2009, 11:25 AM
Nice thing about the Tour is that it IS a 'World' phone, so even though you had to get it through Bell or Telus, you can unlock the SIM card slot to accept a Rogers SIM card.

It'll only do UMTS 3G however, so you're stuck using 2.5G/EDGE on the Rogers network until (if) RIM releases a dedicated GSM version. That said, I didn't much take advantage of 3G when I had my Bold, and with my 7130c, I don't miss it. And the battery life I get in return is unbelievable.

shadowz
07-15-2009, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by teknical
no wifi though correct? on the Tour.

Yup no Wifi

dannie
07-15-2009, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by DarkDream
I found the X1 a little laggy.

The original panel system that it works on is a little laggy. If you download the SPB mobile shell, it is awesome!