PDA

View Full Version : $3200 for a BMW recall letter?!?!

mr2mike
06-25-2009, 12:51 PM
So my dad picked up a BMW out of the states and the original owner gave him a recall clearance letter before he left town en route to Canada.

He's crossed the border just fine but now BMW wants $3200 for a recall clearance letter?

This is stupid and basically is almost eliminating the savings of going to the US.

They also won't approve the daytime running lights on the car because the driver can go in and easily modify to turn them off. Which is another load of crap because I can turn anyone's daytime running lights off with a pair of wire cutters.

Anyone else run across this with the RIV and BMW? Is there a way around it to avoid paying huge fees for the recall letter and the modifications that are not really needed?

atgilchrist
06-25-2009, 12:57 PM
Who's not approving the DRL's?

g-m
06-25-2009, 12:57 PM
Why would you pay BMW? The car is in canada, the letter is in your hand and BMW is out of luck. Start screening your calls.

mr2mike
06-25-2009, 01:01 PM
From what I understand:

He's at the point where he paid the $200 for the RIV Federal Inspection. Sent them his recall clearance letter that the USA owner got in the mail and gave to him before he left Arizona.

RIV came back and said they don't approve the letter and want another one or something.

Not sure where the DRL's come in but I'm guessing BMW is trying to make him come in to get a "Canadian version" of the DRL ECU. Thus spending way too much money for nothing just so they'll let a recall clearance letter go out and be sent to the RIV.

I'll ask him more about the DRL issue later.

scat19
06-25-2009, 01:29 PM
You need to get an OOP to get it in canada.

You can easily hook up your own DRL's to pass the canadian tire OOP.

Don't go to BMW for that.

Also, I know of someone who forged a Ducatti letter, and it worked.

Try it?

C4S
06-25-2009, 01:32 PM
:dunno:

I never heard $3200 for recall letter .. I guess $3200 include all the work need to be done? ( to pass safety etc )

Still .. it is better to buy local .. ( Canadian cars, or US cars ALREADY in Canada )

With ~ 1.16 exchange rate now .. you are not going to save much .. plus much lower resale value for US import anyway.

Team_Mclaren
06-25-2009, 01:56 PM
what kind of recall clearance letter did you get, there`s a printout by BMW USA database that RIV will accept, anything other then that they will want a BMW Canada recall letter. At least this was the case a year ago.

As for the OOP and federal inspection, dont go to BMW for that. And inspection station or Canada tire can perform the inspections. They cant disapprove your DRL as long as it cant be manually turned off inside the car.

Originally posted by scat19

Try it?

ya because forging shit is a great idea:facepalm: :facepalm:

benyl
06-25-2009, 01:56 PM
Unless the car came with options that you can't get in Canada, there is no reason to go to the US for a BMW at this exchange rate.

The DRL issue is because US cars allow the driver to turn them on and off. In Canada, there is no such option. BMW claims that the cluster must be replaced in order to do this. I am convinced that a simple software flash is enough.

BMW does charge $500 for the recall letter. They also charge $500 for a inspection and activation of your warranty in Canada.

That basically makes the cluster $2,200.

The $3000+ cost of importing a BMW has been known for at least two years. A simple search a number of websites, including this one, would have told you that.

Tik-Tok
06-25-2009, 01:58 PM
If he can't shut the DRL's off with a switch, and they come on automatically with the ignition, then he's legal there.

As for the recall letter, I've heard they charged exorbitant amounts for that (to try and curb the cross border shopping)

benyl
06-25-2009, 02:02 PM
Here is a post with the exact number you quoted:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&postid=2346198#post2346198

SI_futbol
06-25-2009, 06:23 PM
dont be afraid to try another dealership, my dad went to red deer bmw and it was cheaper than here.

you&me
06-25-2009, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by SI_futbol
dont be afraid to try another dealership, my dad went to red deer bmw and it was cheaper than here.

Red Deer BMW?

OP - The Federal Inspection / RIV inspection should not cost you a thing, certainly not $200. Did you mean the OOP (which even then, still shouldn't cost $200)?

TurboD
06-25-2009, 08:17 PM
what sort of BMW did your dad buy?

scat19
06-26-2009, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
ya because forging shit is a great idea:facepalm: :facepalm:

:rolleyes: I didn't do it, did I? It worked for some random guy on a forum, just sharing the info

Tik-Tok
06-26-2009, 02:54 PM

Try it?

Actually you are encouraging it, if you want to get technical, and could even be considered an accessory to fraud.

SI_futbol
06-26-2009, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by TurboD
what sort of BMW did your dad buy?

07 X5

Graham_A_M
06-26-2009, 07:58 PM

Try it?

Let hope he at least spelled Ducati the right way on the letter.;)

roopi
06-27-2009, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by SI_futbol

There's a BMW dealership in Red Deer?

soloracer
06-27-2009, 12:24 PM
For DRL's on my NSX I just bought a set of cheap fog lights at crappy tire, installed them to come on with the ignition and I was good to go. Cost about $100 all said and done. No reason your dad can't do the same - unless of course the RIV inspection can't be done at Crappy Tire or something. They magically fell off my car shortly after the inspection though. ;)

As for the recall letter I have heard about this problem. It appears that the reason BMW drivers are douches is because the guys running their dealership network are even bigger douches. :rofl:

nd54
06-27-2009, 12:39 PM
Turning the DRL's on is easy, but the problem is that on US cars you can choose to turn them on or off on I-Drive or through the instrument cluster. In Canada we're not allowed to have the option, so you have to change quite a bit of hardware in order to comply with the law.

soloracer
06-28-2009, 10:24 AM
I read the RIV website and it says that to get a Recall Clearance Letter from BMW Canada you need to do all this stuff at a BMW dealer. It doesn't say that the inspection has to be done by BMW. Reading further RIV says they accept a clearance letter from the US. When I bought my NSX I got a letter from ACURA USA (Honda) and that was no problem. Also, the NSX in Canada came with DRL's and the US car did not. The factory DRL's are something like $1000 and the cheap crappy tire ones are $100. The cheap fog light install is common and accepted. I did the same thing with my RX7. Why not do the same with the X5? Just pull them after the inspection - unless of course you think you need the factory DRL's. Then you will have to bend over and let BMW do you........which apparently BMW drivers enjoy. ;)

mr2mike
06-28-2009, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I will help him get some drls that can't be turned off. So you're saying I could rig it so the fogs are on and that's acceptable? Any minimum height requirements these drls need to be?

GrandmaSideways
06-28-2009, 05:34 PM
I think just lights on.
I had my headlights rigged so they turned on with the ignition. My car had aftermarket MSD.
The MSD box took a dump and I swapped back to the standard bosch coil. Suddenly a month after importing the car my DRL's no longer worked. Oh well.

Anyway, I bought a DRL kit from Daniel Stern Lighting for like $85. His kit only operates the parking lights. These bulbs are FAR cheaper and last longer, and if you have Xenon lamps, is a FAR better option. I still have my kit if you want it. Comes with all the instructions and I'll let it go for $50 to your door.

Regardless, that's the direction I would go, it's far cheaper and far simpler and the bulbs burning amber are more noticeable in my opinion. Especially in inclimate weather. Additionally, less chance of leaving your lights off and just your DRL's on at night.

As for the letter, that's bullshit. I don't know why the RIV is claiming they can't accept that. What other recalls did we have that the american market does not? I'd re-submit the letter.
Worst of all, have a friend in the service department who can help you out. I had a case like that for another name brand european car maker and my friend used that connection to his advantage to get his 2004 model car through.

4WARNED
06-29-2009, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by GrandmaSideways

As for the letter, that's bullshit. I don't know why the RIV is claiming they can't accept that.

I *think* the problem might be that the letter is in the previous owner's name, not the purchaser's name.

:dunno:

mr2mike
06-29-2009, 08:26 AM
If it is, they've got a double standard running as I just passed my federal inspection and my paperwork I sent in had the original owners name. Definitely keeping mine to prove it if that is the case

bigpower
06-29-2009, 10:57 PM
soloRacer is right.

this is from the BMW section on RIV import list.

See explanations section.

Note 1: BMW Canada informed Transport Canada that ALL modifications MUST be performed (and documented) by an authorized BMW Canada or MINI retailer and must be completed before a recall clearance letter can be issued by BMW Group Canada. Contact an authorized Canadian retailer for information on exact nature and costs of modifications required. Modifications vary by model and may be expensive.

So your Crappy tire Fix, will just get ripped out, charged for labour to remove, and install their way.

your homemade Fog lights setup will be scrapped aswell.

This is how they get you. All work must be done at BMW. I was going to import an 04 SL65 and they wanted 1200 for recall letter, plus all mods to make it comply. I said Fcuk that. we are talking 4500 all said and done to comply.

and the Government is in on it...

soloracer
06-29-2009, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by bigpower
soloRacer is right.

this is from the BMW section on RIV import list.

See explanations section.

Note 1: BMW Canada informed Transport Canada that ALL modifications MUST be performed (and documented) by an authorized BMW Canada or MINI retailer and must be completed before a recall clearance letter can be issued by BMW Group Canada. Contact an authorized Canadian retailer for information on exact nature and costs of modifications required. Modifications vary by model and may be expensive.

So your Crappy tire Fix, will just get ripped out, charged for labour to remove, and install their way.

your homemade Fog lights setup will be scrapped aswell.

This is how they get you. All work must be done at BMW. I was going to import an 04 SL65 and they wanted 1200 for recall letter, plus all mods to make it comply. I said Fcuk that. we are talking 4500 all said and done to comply.

and the Government is in on it...

However, if you read it correctly it says "clearance letter can be issued by BMW Group Canada" but if you read on the RIV website they accept the following clearance letters:

There are three types of recall clearance information acceptable to RIV:

* A letter from the manufacturer’s U.S. or Canadian head office, written on company letterhead, stating clearly that there are no outstanding recalls for the vehicle. This letter must be dated and duly signed by an authorized employee of the manufacturer, along with his/her name and position within the company. The letter must include the vehicle identification number, make, model and model year. If the manufacturer's logo does not appear on the letter, it will not be accepted. RIV routinely forwards a copy of these letters to the manufacturer for authentication.
* A printout from an American or Canadian dealership’s vehicle service database. This document must be produced by an authorized dealer and not a reseller. You can confirm whether or not a dealership is authorized by visiting the manufacturer’s web site or by calling the manufacturer’s head office and providing them with the location of the dealership in question. The printout must also contain the 17-digit vehicle identification number, year, make and model of the vehicle and with no indication of an outstanding recall. RIV routinely forwards copies of these printouts to the manufacturer for authentication.
* Some manufacturers make their recall information available on their public web sites; if this is the case, RIV will verify the information and release the inspection form.

So to summarize - BMW Canada are being jackasses but RIV says they will accept a recall letter from BMW USA. If so, the cheap fog lights are in, crappy tire is your friend and your troubles should be over.

mr2mike
06-30-2009, 08:26 AM
Thanks. I will give this info to my dad.

He's got another idea up his sleeve. If it works, I will post it but until then I'm going to keep quiet.

canuckcarguy
07-07-2009, 02:41 AM
I don't think your dad will get away with anything less than BMW modification. My understanding is that no BMW is eligible for import unless BMW Canada says that it is, and in order for them to provide a "letter of eligibility", they want to do all of the modifications. The recall clearance might be adequate, but without a letter of eligibility from BMW Canada, I think you're dead in the water. In order to make the DRL a permanent change, they frequently have to change out the instrument cluster and IHKA (Heater Controls). The car's computer uses those parts for busing information back and forth throughout the vehicle. The new pieces allow for a permanent installation of the daytime running lights.

Yes, it's a scam, but it's a well-known one, and it's unfortunate your dad didn't do enough research.

I've owned several BMWs, and was looking to import a newer 5-series last year when I came up against this, I won't buy another BMW based on this totally predatory practice.

Good luck, one way or another.

mr2mike
07-14-2009, 04:29 PM
I finally asked to see this recall clearance letter my dad was talking about. It's a note from the dealership saying that the car is recall free and has the service manager's name from the BMW service center in the US.

Not sure what he's going to do but he doesn't want them replacing a cluster just so they can take it and resell it again in the US for additional money.

I think it's gonna be the ol' DRL as fog lights from crappy tire that get "stolen" on the way home from the inspection.

Thanks for all the input guys.

thetransporter
07-16-2009, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by nd54
Turning the DRL's on is easy, but the problem is that on US cars you can choose to turn them on or off on I-Drive or through the instrument cluster. In Canada we're not allowed to have the option, so you have to change quite a bit of hardware in order to comply with the law.

leave the oem DRL. go to part source. buy DRL module, $20, install. inspect, drive way. leave the module in or take it out up to you.

no whinning, complaining. its BMW. what do you people expect?

benyl
07-16-2009, 09:04 AM
If you don't go through BMW Canada, you can kiss whatever is left of your warranty good bye.

markswiss74
05-15-2010, 10:18 AM
Anyone need help with recall, i have your answer :thumbsup:
email me if you're interested

Redlyne_mr2
05-15-2010, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by markswiss74
Anyone need help with recall, i have your answer :thumbsup:
email me if you're interested
Can you stop bumping every random thread related to RIV letters especially if you plan on staying here a while.

rage2
05-15-2010, 06:53 PM
He's trying to drum up business for his import letter service. Mods feel free to ban!

HondaKid
05-15-2010, 08:23 PM
Keep this thread updated, some of us are looking at bringing a BMW into Canada from the USA. If this is a shite move, well I for one will buy a competing brand of car and BMW Canada can kiss my biz good-bye.

911fever
05-16-2010, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by HondaKid
Keep this thread updated, some of us are looking at bringing a BMW into Canada from the USA. If this is a shite move, well I for one will buy a competing brand of car and BMW Canada can kiss my biz good-bye.

Well BMW is legit in the US, just import the car, get the recall letter and DRL's done in the US, fax the papers 72 hours ahead to the Canadian border, pay the duty, RIV, and taxes, and have the car OOP inspected within 30 days in Canada.
Pretty straightforward.

Moe Man
05-16-2010, 10:26 AM
Has there been any recall work done to the car from a US dealership? If so you can ask them to provide you with a print out on what recall work has been done and if there is any current open recalls. This letter is all you need to get your federal inspection form, and its free!

I had the owner do the recall work before i got there and so i had a recipt from a ford dealer in CA. Then I called them and simply asked them for a letter stating that there is no open recalls left on the vehicle.

and with in 3 mins I had a letter faxed to me. $0

There is ways around not paying anything, you just have to be smart about it.

also RIV lists 3 different ways to get a recall clearance letter. And if anyone tells you the letter has to have the manager sign it is talking out of there ass.

911fever
05-16-2010, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Moe Man
Has there been any recall work done to the car from a US dealership? If so you can ask them to provide you with a print out on what recall work has been done and if there is any current open recalls. This letter is all you need to get your federal inspection form, and its free!

I had the owner do the recall work before i got there and so i had a recipt from a ford dealer in CA. Then I called them and simply asked them for a letter stating that there is no open recalls left on the vehicle.

and with in 3 mins I had a letter faxed to me. $0

There is ways around not paying anything, you just have to be smart about it.

also RIV lists 3 different ways to get a recall clearance letter. And if anyone tells you the letter has to have the manager sign it is talking out of there ass.

100%. Don't pay one cent for a recall letter or for 'modifications' to the car to import it!