PDA

View Full Version : wats the cheapest way to paint a car

banned3x
06-25-2009, 01:20 PM
i bought a project car and its in primer so i want to paint it asap for a upcoming car show, soo i need to paint it asap. i want something flashy and cool. i was thinking something like tangelo or crome but my budget is like 100 bucks. so what do you suggest? and i want to start prepping for this weekend. im going to auto value and princess auto to look for some ideas. ill keep you posted on what my options are. maybe i should move this to project car threads. any ideas would be great and im willing to try anything.

AutodreamFrank
06-25-2009, 01:25 PM
You won't even get a good spray paint job with $100 cause it will be like an extra $200 to buy a butt load of clear coat..... The cheapest way is to Tremclad roll it, and wet sand after each coat.... turns out really clean... but takes over 100 man hours to do cause you have to thin the paint with thinning minerals and do a light coat, let try, then wet said the bitch to 2000 grit..... do this seven times or until the paint comes out glossy. There is a write up on here about it. other than that you'll be paying around $1000 ++++++ for a nice paint job.

banned3x
06-25-2009, 01:28 PM
i was thinking along the lines of spray bombing it

G-ZUS
06-25-2009, 01:29 PM
http://www.seanbuckley.ca/blog/2007/06/11/50-dollar-paint-job/

gretz
06-25-2009, 01:48 PM
Do a flat enamal(sp?), no clear needed and comes out nice if you do it in light consistent coats.

5000Audi
06-25-2009, 03:28 PM
tremclad with a clear coat over it. ive done it to a old beater a few years ago. was pretty cheap. but make sure you buy a clear coat for it!!...once its dry as in the clear coat. buy NUFINISH polish and do a once over on the car it will make it shineyer

alloroc
06-25-2009, 03:39 PM
Grind all the paint off and go with 'rust'

Tomaz
06-25-2009, 03:56 PM
flat black FTW! Did it to my old crown vic!

I wanted to use rock-guard. I figured it would never suffer from rock chips. :D

barmanjay
06-25-2009, 04:03 PM
Rockerguad/bedliner FTW!!!

banned3x
06-25-2009, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by alloroc
Grind all the paint off and go with 'rust'

that is within my budget good idea:

$40 grinder
$20 viniger
$40 clearcoat
= sweet car

Theotherone
06-25-2009, 05:23 PM
semi gloss black a grinder some masking tape & some clear...paint the car with the black...with the tape come up with a cool design (somethin you can do on both sides..hood deck lid..whatever) grind down (inside the taped up area) down to the sheet metal (small circular motions looks the best) cleat the car & marvel at your work!!!!

Cooked Rice
06-25-2009, 06:14 PM
If you got a compressor. Go to princess auto and get a spray gun for around $50. Then hit up canadian tire, they sell Dupli-Color lacquer paint in quarts for $20 a can. product line is called "Paint Shop". 1 can primer, 1 can base, 1 can clear = about $60. Then all you need is some polishing compound and a buffer. Lacquer buffs out to be pretty shiny and you can touch up whenever you want. Honestly, this is quicker than a rattle can and probably end up being the same price. And the paint will come out to be decent for a DIY job. My car is rattle canned ultra flat black. If i could get the same paint in a quart so i can use a spray gun, even better.

Theotherone
06-25-2009, 06:21 PM
My Dad is an outstanding painter (25 years)...he taught me tons... bring it over here & we can do it together I wouldn't charge a thing!!!!!