PDA

View Full Version : My new backup camera with some toys!

quazimoto
06-25-2009, 02:42 PM
After my backup camera died I was kinda in a state a shock. I had owned the camera for 4 years and well it had seen many many many many exposures. Just a lucky guess I'd say the neighbourhood of 150k to 200k exposures. So no thanks to UPS or Canada Customs the new back up camera is ready to sit in my camera bag and not get used.......

http://khphotography.ca/samples/cam.jpg

Sadly I'm more excited about the new pocket wizards I got. Just from the start playing around with them they are worth every last dime.

PS: Anybody have usage for a broken down 5D Mark I. I almost feel like having a case made for that camera and turning it into art or something lol.

GQBalla
06-25-2009, 02:43 PM
what?

*edit*

nm when i first went in there was no picture

TDFTW
06-25-2009, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by quazimoto
After my backup camera died I was kinda in a state a shock. I had owned the camera for 4 years and well it had seen many many many many exposures. Just a lucky guess I'd say the neighbourhood of 150k to 200k exposures. So no thanks to UPS or Canada Customs the new back up camera is ready to sit in my camera bag and not get used.......

http://khphotography.ca/samples/cam.jpg

Sadly I'm more excited about the new pocket wizards I got. Just from the start playing around with them they are worth every last dime.

PS: Anybody have usage for a broken down 5D Mark I. I almost feel like having a case made for that camera and turning it into art or something lol. how much would you sell it for? I'm tempted to find out whats wrong with it and fix it.

quazimoto
06-25-2009, 02:50 PM
The shutter is 100% royally screwballed on it. It was the camera that really got me started into the world of professional photography. The amount canon wanted to fix it really wasn't worth the time since it has 150k exposures or more on it.

anybody have a decent band saw or something and can do a cross section cut or something? It could be fun.

TDFTW
06-25-2009, 02:54 PM
No, let me have it :( I can find a shutter assembly and fix it myself. Then I can have a full frame camera to shoot with too :D

flipstah
06-25-2009, 03:03 PM
Let me take that old 5D off your hands.

I can't afford a full pledged DSLR. :rofl:

TDFTW
06-25-2009, 03:04 PM
You should PM me with the price you want for the broken 5D man :)

djayz
06-25-2009, 06:48 PM
You got a 5dM2 as a backup :eek: So jealous!

If you don't mind me asking how much it end up costing you bring it in from the states?

KKY
06-25-2009, 08:10 PM
So... are we having a silent auction for the broken 5D?:D

TDFTW
06-25-2009, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by KKY
So... are we having a silent auction for the broken 5D?:D I don'tknow if the rest of you are willing to pay what I am :)

quazimoto
06-25-2009, 09:12 PM
This is almost too funny. I put that PS up there as a side note and I get six pms? Man I never figure there could be such a huge market for a old broken down over used 5D Body.

I'm having serious thoughts about encasing the body in glass though just as an ornament for the house lol. It feels extremely wierd holding the 5Dm2 when I haven't held a camera this small in years!

TDFTW
06-25-2009, 10:40 PM
Well if you sell please let me know first hand! I'll pay you triple digit cash for it. I'm really looking to get into full frame but dont know if I want to spent $3000 yet. Thanks man!

quazimoto
06-25-2009, 10:44 PM
Well here's the harsh reality..........

The estimate canon gave me was in the $1300 range. Issue is not as simple as fix the shutter. When the shutter died it got stuck or jammed or whatever half way through a photo. The sensor itself needs to be replaced. For the cost to fix it, I would say it's really not worth it when a new 5D is less than $2000.

This is why I want a band saw to make some art :)

That and I'm sure the nikon fan boys would find it interesting.

C4S
06-25-2009, 10:46 PM
Thx to UPS? U didn't buy it local?

First beyonder to say thank you to UPS .. :D

Nice PW ! :thumbsup:

How do u like it ? so just run 2 TT5 or you use the TT1 as well?

quazimoto
06-25-2009, 10:49 PM
the only thing I buy locally is glass and ink lol. Thecamerastore as good as they are their prices stink on camera bodies.

The camera is $3463 with tax at camera store or just over $3200 from Adorama. I dont even think thecamerastore can get the newest pocket wizards in yet either which was a huge disappointment. I was able to test run them though when I was in toronto.

They beat Canons built in wireless flash all to hell. This is going to make my life a lot easier.

TDFTW
06-25-2009, 10:53 PM
Damn so the sensor is crapped out. Did anybody give a professional opinion on what is wrong?

Either way, I'll still give you 100 bucks for it. I'm sure if I find enough 5d's that are broken, I can put all the parts together to get one good one :)

C4S
06-25-2009, 10:58 PM
$3400 vs $3200 .. just $200 different .. buy from US and not local? :dunno:

Good to hear that the tt5 is good, TCS will have them soon, and their price is pretty good, $280 cad, vs $220 US .. so just $25 or 10% different ..

Enjoy! will check with TCS next week .. ^_^

quazimoto
06-25-2009, 11:07 PM
Yeah I had heard and read some bad comments regarding the TT5 and the mini. I find the range on them is really quite good. I'm not having the interference that some people were speaking about. No more of this line of sight BS.

The sensor was damaged because it was touched when the shutter jammed. Like I said it was catastrophic lol. It was the techs at canon that looked at it. For the number of exposures on the camera it live a good life.

It's not just the $200 on the camera. It gets compounded when you buy these pocket wizards not to mention a lot of fancy paper that the camera store can't get at all. I think my total purchase was $600 less in total than what the camera store would have been.

I mean the higher our dollar goes the worse it gets for them in reality. $2699 for the 5dM2 in the states. If our dollar hits the 90 to 95 cent plateau it makes a large difference.

TDFTW
06-25-2009, 11:33 PM
At any rate, I'm still interested in it! :drool:

soupey
06-26-2009, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by quazimoto
Well here's the harsh reality..........

The estimate canon gave me was in the $1300 range. Issue is not as simple as fix the shutter. When the shutter died it got stuck or jammed or whatever half way through a photo. The sensor itself needs to be replaced. For the cost to fix it, I would say it's really not worth it when a new 5D is less than $2000.

This is why I want a band saw to make some art :)

That and I'm sure the nikon fan boys would find it interesting.

lol i bought a used 5d for 1375USD, no scratches or anything, no sign of use other than the hot shoe flash paint kind've scratched up...kinda seems like an inflated repair price!

quazimoto
06-26-2009, 08:48 AM
Well if the CMOS sensor wasn't screwd up the repair price is roughly half that price. The sensor itself was scratched somehow when it all happened.