PDA

View Full Version : Transitioning from IT to Finance

aram1000
06-25-2009, 11:19 PM
just curious if there are any members on here who have made the transition from the IT world to Finance. I got my undergrad in Electronic Systems Engineering from the U of R four years ago and have been working in the IT industry since, and am currently working as a DBA. I've since decided to enroll in the CFA program, and am awaiting my results from my Level 1 exam. I've been looking at analyst positions, however without having a bachelors in Administration or Commerce, I am concerned my resume won't be looked at. While i know the CFA program does teach financial analysis skills, i am finding that its not mentioned in the qualifications for a lot of analyst positions. While i understand i'm a long way from completing the program, i would like a chance to get in the industry to start to apply the knowledge, as the majority of CFA candidates are working in the industry. I am considering going back to do my MBA, however with that, working full time and going through the CFA program, I think I might be trying to do too much.

I would just like to know, how some have made this transition, I'm a pretty patient person, however I would like to get on the right track, as I feel the longer I stay in IT, the further away I am diverging from my goal. I know right now the opportunities are limited, I do feel once the market is back on track again, opportunities will be more prevalent and I would like to be in a position to take advantage of them. All advice is greatly appreciated.