PDA

View Full Version : importing a car from Japan?

SchoolN'U
10-30-2003, 06:22 PM
would it be hard to import a car from Japan thats RHD?... its a 1999 Civic Type R.

I don't need to know shipping, I already have that together, but would it be hard to the car plated in Canada?

3G
10-30-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by SchoolN'U
would it be hard to import a car from Japan thats RHD?... its a 1999 Civic Type R.

I don't need to know shipping, I already have that together, but would it be hard to the car plated in Canada?

millions of threads on this topic..try search tool next time..but no u cant import that car

SchoolN'U
10-30-2003, 06:27 PM
thanks

rage2
10-30-2003, 07:10 PM
Short Answer : Impossible
Long Answer : Search (http://forums.beyond.ca/search.php)

:)

DJ Lazy
10-30-2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Short Answer : Impossible:)

Screws my plans of wanting to import an RHD Integra... or even better a RHD ITR

method
10-30-2003, 10:58 PM
no car can be brought from another country into canada unless there is a specific legal document directly from the manufacturer specifying that it conforms to canadian standards and has passed our crash tests/etc.

what you CAN do, is import a car that is 15 years or old. a car 15 years or older is exempt from the laws. 15 years from the date of manufacture.

you'll still have to pay duty and all that crap, and spend large amounts of money to ship it on some sort of container. also keep in mind that if you aren't buying new, you never know the real history of the car. unless you go over there, or know someone personally, you wont see it until it's off the ship and on the docks.

Redlyne_mr2
10-31-2003, 12:43 AM
Lelan it cant be done man unless you take the car apart use a fake vin and put it back together....why the hell would you do all that for a civic haha

rage2
10-31-2003, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by method
no car can be brought from another country into canada unless there is a specific legal document directly from the manufacturer specifying that it conforms to canadian standards and has passed our crash tests/etc.
This applies only for US vehicles, has to conform to US laws, and be on the RIV list of approved vehicles. Anything else, wait 15 years before it's allowed.

limecorrado
10-31-2003, 03:20 PM
i have read that also that cars of current model are also able to come to canada.So maybe try to get a Brand new car and ship it here.Mind you,duty and tax will probally cost an arm and leg.There are other small cost like a/c tax and over weight tax.Go do some research and you know exactly what is the charges.

rage2
10-31-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by limecorrado
i have read that also that cars of current model are also able to come to canada.So maybe try to get a Brand new car and ship it here.Mind you,duty and tax will probally cost an arm and leg.There are other small cost like a/c tax and over weight tax.Go do some research and you know exactly what is the charges.
There's strict rules, www.riv.ca for more info. Also, from US only. Nothing manufacutred for Japanese market is allowed here unless it's 15 years old. Please read the link for more info to minimize spreading of false info :).

limecorrado
10-31-2003, 04:34 PM
Look What i found on Canada Customs/Transport Canada's Website

"Exceptions
Taking into account both customs and Transport Canada requirements, in most cases, you can import a vehicle into Canada on the condition that the vehicle is designed, manufactured, tested, and certified to meet the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards or the United States Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, bears a statement of compliance label affixed by the original manufacturer, has not been altered, and the certification from the original manufacturer is still on the vehicle, in any of the following situations:

Used or Second-Hand Vehicle less than fifteen years old or a bus manufactured on or after January 1, 1971.
- You are importing a vehicle that is manufactured in the current calendar year.
"
THIS IS ONLY WHAT I HAVE READ ON A OFFICAIL WEBSITE.PLEASE DON'T JUMP DOWN MY THROUT,IT IS ONLY WHAT I HAVE READ AND BELIEVE TO BE TRUE.

limecorrado
10-31-2003, 04:35 PM
http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/rc4140/rc4140-e.html
Check here if you don't beleive me.

szw
10-31-2003, 04:35 PM
Dude, you don't even know what that means

limecorrado
10-31-2003, 04:44 PM
Why Would You assume that?

rage2
10-31-2003, 05:02 PM
"Exceptions
Taking into account both customs and Transport Canada requirements, in most cases, you can import a vehicle into Canada on the condition that the vehicle is designed, manufactured, tested, and certified to meet the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards or the United States Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, bears a statement of compliance label affixed by the original manufacturer, has not been altered, and the certification from the original manufacturer is still on the vehicle, in any of the following situations:

Used or Second-Hand Vehicle less than fifteen years old or a bus manufactured on or after January 1, 1971.
- You are importing a vehicle that is manufactured in the current calendar year.
"
That's there for European Delivery type vehicles. These vehicles are identical to the ones you purchase locally, except you pick up the Canadian Spec vehicle in Europe to enjoy your stay there in the new vehicle. As I stated earlier:

Originally posted by rage2
Nothing manufacutred for Japanese market is allowed here unless it's 15 years old.

limecorrado
10-31-2003, 05:07 PM
What Part of that state that?I don't understand where the European Truck comes in?

KoukiS14
10-31-2003, 05:12 PM
Dude if it was that easy dont you think there would loads of JDM cars running round? Trust those who know.

rage2
10-31-2003, 05:15 PM
What Part of that state that?I don't understand where the European Truck comes in?
European Truck? Anyways, this part:

on the condition that the vehicle is designed, manufactured, tested, and certified to meet the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards or the United States Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards
Basically, what you're doing is instead of the manufacturer importing the vehicle for sale in Canada, you import it after you pick it up in Europe.

European Delivery is available from BMW/Mercedes Benz, etc. You basically spec out your vehicle here in Canada, pick up the Canadian Spec vehicle in europe, and import it into Canada so you get the car here after your vacation.