PDA

View Full Version : Would you pimp this up and down Macleod Tr.?

2EFNFAST
06-26-2009, 11:43 PM
Assume it's powered by a twin turbo SRT-4 motor making 550hp, weighing approximately 1200lbs.

Pimp ride or kinda eh?

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww89/efnfast/slr2.jpg

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww89/efnfast/slr1.jpg

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww89/efnfast/slr3.jpg

Nothing wrong with throwing an SL-R into the mix when deciding 917....or SL-C....or SL-R for the next build :angel:

buh_buh
06-26-2009, 11:44 PM
wouldn't really be that much fun down macleod, but maybe race city or a nice stretch of highway

2EFNFAST
06-26-2009, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
wouldn't really be that much fun down macleod, but maybe race city or a nice stretch of highway

Why? Seems like having a total ride height (ground to top of roll bar) of approximately 38'' would make for a nice......safe......drive up and down Macleod :devil:

Pollywog
06-26-2009, 11:47 PM
Imagine rear-ending a semi in that thing. Goodbye face.

Kloubek
06-26-2009, 11:47 PM
Take the racing graphics off and paint it satin black - and I'd be all over that!

http://members.shaw.ca/kloubek/public/cart.jpg

2EFNFAST
06-27-2009, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Pollywog
Imagine rear-ending a semi in that thing. Goodbye face.

Total height is around 38'' - that's like to your belly button if you're average height - I think chances are you'd literally drive right underneath him :D

SEe, safety at its finest :D

On the other hand, I'd be more worried about rear-ending something like a civic or a smart car - I can't drive underneath them!

B4tMan
06-27-2009, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
http://members.shaw.ca/kloubek/public/cart.jpg
I like his take on it

5fivespeed
06-27-2009, 12:25 AM
Take the chrome rims out - have them the same color as the roll bars. Brushed ftw.

Ray

Cody D
06-27-2009, 12:34 AM
I would definitely drive that, where can I get one?

2EFNFAST
06-27-2009, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Cody D
I would definitely drive that, where can I get one?

RCR - kit car company. You have to build it ;)

Cody D
06-27-2009, 01:04 AM
Looks like they make kit cars of kit cars, haha.

Their Superlite Coupe looks like a knock off of the Ulitma GTR, and the Superlite Roadster is a knock off of the Atom.

That probably wouldn't stop me though, nothing matters when your power to weight ratio is two and a half times that of a Viper.

2EFNFAST
06-27-2009, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by Cody D
Looks like they make kit cars of kit cars, haha.

Their Superlite Coupe looks like a knock off of the Ulitma GTR, and the Superlite Roadster is a knock off of the Atom.

That probably wouldn't stop me though, nothing matters when your power to weight ratio is two and a half times that of a Viper.

With the main difference being both the SLC and SLR are leagues better than their counterparts :D

But you're right about the power to weight - if you don't drive it properly, scary as shit and hellllllllllo ditch. Drive it right and it's a blast because it's how the old story goes:

- if you race a 14 seocnd car, you're a 13.5 car
- if you race a 12 second car you're a 11.5 car
- if you race a 10 second car you're a 9.5
- if you race a low 9ss car, magically you're also a low 9s car when balls to the wall

ehehe :devil:

Cody D
06-27-2009, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
With the main difference being both the SLC and SLR are leagues better than their counterparts :D

Well the nice thing is the price isn't near what a base Atom 3 costs, and unlike the Ultima you don't have to order parts from the UK.

Mibz
06-27-2009, 02:09 AM
You planning on a DCR TT setup? Cause you'll be lucky if you see 550 HP and even luckier if you manage to spool by 4500 rpm. You're better off going with an S256. Since you're clearly going to building the bottom end you may as well do some head work. I bet you'd see spool around 3500 and a little over 500hp with that combo. On race gas or meth of course, but there are dynos of that thing doing 400hp on stock head and pump gas.

2EFNFAST
06-27-2009, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
You planning on a DCR TT setup? Cause you'll be lucky if you see 550 HP and even luckier if you manage to spool by 4500 rpm. You're better off going with an S256. Since you're clearly going to building the bottom end you may as well do some head work. I bet you'd see spool around 3500 and a little over 500hp with that combo. On race gas or meth of course, but there are dynos of that thing doing 400hp on stock head and pump gas.

Sorry, what's a S256 - is it a series of mods (head work, etc....) to an srt-4 engine?

I've been talking with Darrel and he has some very interesting options ..... not as interesting as a balls out V8 I'm used to, but interesting for a 4cyl =)

Are there any well known canadian SRT-4 builders who can build a heck of an engine at a good price?

It would seem my options are kind of limited, based on prilimary research, such as s DCR setup, or just using a pallete from a wrecked car from ebay and throwing on a mopar stage 3 package.

ShermanEF9
06-27-2009, 02:28 AM
Can't say i want to die enough to drive this down deerfoot... i have enough trouble with my civic thinking its an Airbus.

DannyO
06-27-2009, 02:31 AM
I'd rock that completely, especially if it was all black like what Kloubek said (especially if the tubing was black).

Just not in Calgary, Race City is closing down, and the track doesn't seem like much of a track anyway, you probably wouldn't be able to stretch its legs much, and the Alberta road network isn't the most fun place to drive around, unless you head west.

buh_buh
06-27-2009, 10:10 AM
Maybe I'm just going out on a limb here, but I think anything that weighs 1200lbs wouldn't have that much difficulty spooling a big turbo. I don't even know what kind of powerband I'd want to have in a 1200lb car. Either way it'll be dangerous/fun, and the two are not mutually exclusive.

Pollywog
06-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh
Maybe I'm just going out on a limb here, but I think anything that weighs 1200lbs wouldn't have that much difficulty spooling a big turbo. I don't even know what kind of powerband I'd want to have in a 1200lb car. Either way it'll be dangerous/fun, and the two are not mutually exclusive.

Im no rocket scientist when it comes to car, but what would the cars weight have to do with how fast it could spool a big turbo? Would that not be more related to engine output or displacement?

kevie88
06-27-2009, 10:34 AM
There's one way to make sure you don't get hurt in this thing:

Don't crash. :)

*edit* I always wondered why everyone is so hung up on crash safety. In 20 years I've never crashed a car. I've been bumped, sure, but never crashed at any speed at all.. And a few people here know how I drive ;)

buh_buh
06-27-2009, 10:42 AM

Im no rocket scientist when it comes to car, but what would the cars weight have to do with how fast it could spool a big turbo? Would that not be more related to engine output or displacement? Less weight=easier to push the car forward. A smaller turbo would still spool it quicker, but quicker is just less of a factor when it comes to a lighter car.

sneek
06-27-2009, 11:07 AM

Im no rocket scientist when it comes to car, but what would the cars weight have to do with how fast it could spool a big turbo? Would that not be more related to engine output or displacement?

I am guessing that less resistance makes the engine wind up a hellll of a lot faster. It is kind of like when your car gets air, you can go form 3000 revs - 6000 in a heart beat. I imagine the same principle works here.

EDIT NVM. ^^

Pollywog
06-27-2009, 11:12 AM
Makes sence, thought I might as well ask as I had no idea.

Mibz
06-27-2009, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

Sorry, what's a S256 - is it a series of mods (head work, etc....) to an srt-4 engine?

I've been talking with Darrel and he has some very interesting options ..... not as interesting as a balls out V8 I'm used to, but interesting for a 4cyl =)

Are there any well known canadian SRT-4 builders who can build a heck of an engine at a good price?

It would seem my options are kind of limited, based on prilimary research, such as s DCR setup, or just using a pallete from a wrecked car from ebay and throwing on a mopar stage 3 package. Borg Warner S256 is just the turbo I'd recommend. You'd obviously need the supporting mods to do it. DCR is experienced, but you certainly don't need them. Especially for only ~550hp.

Revolution Motorsports in Edmonton has a couple guys close to the SRT-4 community that would probably put together something for you and have it take half the time that DCR would, though obviously I don't speak for them.

My next question would be, why not do a ~450 hp setup, avoiding engine building, and see if it blows up to go bigger? You can put a faster spooling turbo on and, to be perfectly honest, I don't think it will lack speed *cough*.

As for the weight vs spool. I'm pretty sure the correlation is that higher power:weight means the engine will rev faster but more load on the engine will spool faster. Either way, it won't be long before you're hitting 20lb in whatever turbo you choose.

srtforums.com is kind of a clusterfuck of information and ads now but if you've got specific questions sign up at srt4oa.com and there will be quite a few knowledgeable, experienced people to help you.

Redlyne_mr2
06-27-2009, 02:19 PM
It's sort of geeky, I wouldnt drive it around town. Sort of up there with that weird 3 wheel bike.