PDA

View Full Version : So I am thinking of buying a genesis....thoughts?

spike98
06-27-2009, 08:44 PM
So I am in the market for a new car. My budget is roughly $35k and I want something sporty. I have heard nothing but praise about the new genesis and I am scheduled for a 24hr test drive on Monday.

Some other canidates have been a 2009 jetta 2.0T and a 2007 A4.

What is everyones thoughts on the genesis? Is it too soon to jump on it? Is there anything else that would be a good canidate.

I am single and looking for new ride that I will not be dissapointed with for the next while. Hopefully having a good warrenty too.

Doozer
06-27-2009, 08:57 PM
I think Hyundai is a very good bang for the buck right now. The Genesis seems to have plenty of power, greta looks, and more, for a pretty reasonable price.

My brother was taken for a spin a couple weeks ago by someone he knows who just bought one, and is still talking about it.

S13_Ryan
06-27-2009, 08:57 PM
i approve. genesis gets my vote. i love them

black13
06-27-2009, 09:03 PM
I haven't driven one but I am also seriously considering purchasing one. For the price you sure are getting alot out of it.

Only problem is, expect everyone to shrug you off thinking their Bimmer or whatever is better.

ragu
06-27-2009, 09:04 PM
Its like Cobalt ss; pretty much the most you can get for your money brand new except the typical brand name.

spike98
06-27-2009, 09:24 PM
I dont think that the cobalt SS is in the same category. The cobalt to me seems to be something quick and super cheap for the tuners out there. The Genesis seems to be built to be an all around preformer with the some hints of luxury. Although its still a hyundai i think its come a long way!

We will def find out monday when i get one for the night.

Another question is to spend the extra dime for the V6 or just go with the 2.0T? I know its an extra 100hp but i am thinking that with some upping of the boost and a few supporting mods that it can be closer to the 310HP mark without the extra $5k price tag.

iblizzard
06-27-2009, 09:26 PM
Great console.
I actually preferred it to the SNES. Lots of good games.

Oh...
Car. Right.
Genesis as a car = Win. Compared to the three you mentioned, it's got a fantastic warranty, and in my opinion looks way better.

I've heard they feel REALLY wide though when you're driving them.. haven't read actual specs, so I don't know if it's just the feel or if it's actually a really wide car, doesn't look like it.

Chandler_Racing
06-27-2009, 09:32 PM
I took the V8 model for a test drive. It drives nice and I tried to "like it" but there is something about it that just does not fill the void.

The exterior of the car looks great, sound package was good, and interior is even decent. Surprising the V8 engine was not what I expected it to be. Was rather sluggish and unresponsive in my opinion.

Hakkola
06-27-2009, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by spike98

Another question is to spend the extra dime for the V6 or just go with the 2.0T? I know its an extra 100hp but i am thinking that with some upping of the boost and a few supporting mods that it can be closer to the 310HP mark without the extra $5k price tag.

And then lose the warranty which is the only reason I could think of when buying a new car and looking for bang for the buck.

If you want hp and luxury and don't care about warranty just get a used E55 or M5.

spike98
06-27-2009, 09:48 PM
I obviously wouldn't plan any warrenty voiding mods untill after the warrenty is up. But if it's fun at 225hp (with premium) it would only get better after the warrenty is up and bigger turbo kits are available for it then

it also doesn't come in a V8. Only the 2L turbo and 3.2 V6

Cooked Rice
06-27-2009, 09:59 PM
interior feels a bit cheap. steering wheel, plastics and such...

dj_rice
06-27-2009, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Cooked Rice

Thats why you buy the real G37, not a knockoff Genesis

4doorj
06-27-2009, 10:16 PM
I like it alot!!!:thumbsup:
Car looks great! Theres a dark gray one in my neighborhood, it always turns my head when I see it.
I personally would get the 2.0t motor. So much potential.
Really good motor:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ragu
06-27-2009, 10:16 PM
^G37's interior is so fuckin solid, right? :rolleyes:

rockanrepublic
06-27-2009, 10:58 PM
i wouldn't unless you want horrible depreciation value off an obvious G rip off

spike98
06-27-2009, 11:06 PM
I am not to concerned about depreciation. I am buying a car afterall. I will be using this as my primary car untill i eventually get hitched and need a family mobile. Which wont be for another 5 or so years haha hopefully

corsvette
06-27-2009, 11:23 PM
I obviously wouldn't plan any warrenty voiding mods untill after the warrenty is up. But if it's fun at 225hp (with premium) it would only get better after the warrenty is up and bigger turbo kits are available for it then

it also doesn't come in a V8. Only the 2L turbo and 3.2 V6
The Genisis sedan does offer a V8 though

Joe-G
06-28-2009, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by 4doorj
Car looks great! Theres a dark gray one in my neighborhood, it always turns my head when I see it.

I've seen this car around as well. Nice car, and the grey color is awesome....

Get the Genesis, it seems to be a great choice.

atgilchrist
06-28-2009, 12:21 AM
Check this thread out...

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/247708/hyundai-genesis-coupe-tested/

eb0i
06-28-2009, 01:33 AM
Take a look at this genesis....

http://fatlace.com/hellaflush/theflushness/seoulful.html :burnout: :love:

For your budget and what you are looking for, it is definitely the best bang for your buck. Go for it!

jsn
06-28-2009, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by Cooked Rice

You win some, you lose some....can't have everything. Performance wise, it's a pretty good value for the price. It looks amazing as well.

Team_Mclaren
06-28-2009, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice

where did you find a G37 for 35k? i want one.

Have you checked out the CC instead of the Jetta? Its a MUCH nicer car imo. Get a 2.0T then APR ECU upgrade gets you 250hp/290tq

JordanAndrew
06-28-2009, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

where did you find a G37 for 35k? i want one.

Have you checked out the CC instead of the Jetta? Its a MUCH nicer car imo. Get a 2.0T then APR ECU upgrade gets you 250hp/290tq

+1

I want one too.

InLoveWitRSX
06-28-2009, 03:54 AM
howd you schedule a 24 hr test drive?

old&slow
06-28-2009, 08:36 AM
I seen one on the road in Kelowna a month or so ago and for styling(cause I haven't been in one) it gets a :thumbsup: from me!
And style does sell!!!

Cos
06-28-2009, 09:17 AM
i drove one, it is pretty nice but can feel where they cheaped out.

My concerns would be long term reliability, long term quality (getting loose, noisy, etc), and depreciation (I know you said you dont care about depreciation but you will, imagine owing 25000 on a car worth 13000)

el_cap
06-28-2009, 09:54 AM
Why take our word on it? Go testdrive it yourself.

I did. I liked it, a lot.

And now I own one. No regrets! And during the time I've had it no bimmer or merc owners have shrugged it off, instead it's been lots of compliments on the car from random strangers. I'm ok with that.

ExtraSlow
06-28-2009, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Cos
My concerns would be long term reliability, long term quality (getting loose, noisy, etc), and depreciation (I know you said you dont care about depreciation but you will, imagine owing 25000 on a car worth 13000)
Hyundai does pretty well in the J.D. Power quality surveys. I'd say they do better than anyone else at their pricepoint.

2009 Initial Quality Study (http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings/quality-ratings-by-brand)
2009 Vehicle Dependability Study (http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings/dependability-ratings-by-brand)

I'd say the Genesis fits the bill really well for this particular case.

spike98
06-28-2009, 10:27 AM
The CC would come in above budget when equally equiped.

Thanks for the link eb0i! Black on black was the plan.

The 24 test drive was easy. They just opened up a new dealership here in medicine hat and they had a "take home a hyundai" event. It is on untill the 30th.

I have to say I'm awefully excited to drive it for a while. I am taking the V6 for a drive then taking the 2.0T home.

4doorj
06-28-2009, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by el_cap
Why take our word on it? Go testdrive it yourself.

I did. I liked it, a lot.

And now I own one. No regrets! And during the time I've had it no bimmer or merc owners have shrugged it off, instead it's been lots of compliments on the car from random strangers. I'm ok with that.
Is yours the 2.0T?
How do you like your car so far?

max_boost
06-28-2009, 11:04 AM
I've changed my mind on the Genesis. I feel the same way about it as this dude on rollerblading.

PRVWuTlU_Tc

el_cap
06-28-2009, 11:09 AM

Is yours the 2.0T?
How do you like your car so far?

No it's the 3.8. I never thought in a million years that I'd actually buy a Hyundai. But, I'm very impressed with it so far, and the v6 has plenty of grunt to have fun with. And for a stock exhaust the sound is impressive. Quality-wise everything seems well made and the build quality is tight. I would have changed a couple of the interior panels to a softer plastic but that's to be expected at this price.

It's actually hard to come up with a complaint about it, if anything the 6-speed shifter is a bit notchy. But certainly not enough to be an issue, but it is not as smooth as it could be. The rear seat is useless for anyone over 5'7" tall, not because of the legroom but because their head will be bouncing off of the rear window. So as usual with many sport coupes, it should be mostly treated as a 2-seater.

But none of that really lessens how much fun it is, and it's easy to kick out the tail and leave some black marks on the road. And the front seats are excellent with good side bolsters so you don't feel out of place doing that.

Most surprising has really been everyone's reaction to the car, lots of questions and compliments, often from people driving much more expensive and well-respected brands. It's pretty common for people to chase it down on the streets to take a closer look too.

Ok so that was maybe a lengthy answer but so far I love it!

Cos
06-28-2009, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

Hyundai does pretty well in the J.D. Power quality surveys. I'd say they do better than anyone else at their pricepoint.

2009 Initial Quality Study (http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings/quality-ratings-by-brand)
2009 Vehicle Dependability Study (http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings/dependability-ratings-by-brand)

I'd say the Genesis fits the bill really well for this particular case.

initial quality can mean shit and dependability study is failure rate right off the bat.

I want to see how durable they are.

CelicaST-162
06-28-2009, 10:54 PM
I have driven both models,

2.0T- You can feel the presence of the turbo for sure, maybe I am used to my car but I expected more grunt from that engine. Powershifting, did not feel smooth and wasn't coreo-graphed (sp)? and No it wasn't me haha. Maybe it's the fly by wire that wasn't in sync with the shifting but you can feel the delay from the throttle once you let the clutch up and mash on it. Overall, it drives Very nice and I felt they did great on the interior.

3.8- Would pick a 3.8 over a 2.0T ANYDAY, engine feels and sounds so much more refined. The exhaust note begs you to drive it at WOT all the time. Powershifting, everything works like clockwork, no throttle delay whatsoever!

If you aren't concerned about doing big upgrades I would reccomend the 3.8, feels much more mature than a 2.0T, I think both stock for stock the 3.8 would walk the 2.0T.

wchan5
06-29-2009, 12:42 AM
Maybe you should try out the WRX265, it fits within your budget.

But genesis is good choice, my buddy is picking up a 2.0T soon.

heavyD
06-29-2009, 07:52 AM

It's not the same engine as the 4B11 in the EVO. While the block and heads are based off the same design, the Theta engine is based off the same open deck block as the N/A versions of the engine. As well the turbocharger is very small and the fuel system is pretty well maxed in stock form. No doubt you can mod the engine to get to 4B11 power levels but it will cost a lot of money.

4doorj
06-29-2009, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

It's not the same engine as the 4B11 in the EVO. While the block and heads are based off the same design, the Theta engine is based off the same open deck block as the N/A versions of the engine. As well the turbocharger is very small and the fuel system is pretty well maxed in stock form. No doubt you can mod the engine to get to 4B11 power levels but it will cost a lot of money.
Oh....
I never read that far into it. I thought it would of been cheap to get 4b11 power levels. I guess I was wrong.

heavyD
06-29-2009, 08:22 AM

Oh....
I never read that far into it. I thought it would of been cheap to get 4b11 power levels. I guess I was wrong.

I'm not an expert on the car by any means so maybe you can get near 300whp but form some early dyno charts I've seen there's not a lot of room in the fuel system. However, throw on an intake and exhaust and you should be able to close some of the gap between it and the 3.8L. The 2.0L is still definately the tuner verion of the car though as the Greddy drift car is pretty sweet.

heavyD
06-29-2009, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice

Be realistic. The Genesis costs $10K less and the G37 is nothing more than a glorified RWD Altima/370Z. If real luxury is what you are after you aren't looking at either of these cars.

scat19
06-29-2009, 08:39 AM
You were also looking at the A4? My mum just bought a B7 A4 last week. Such a beautiful car! White on black. Take one for a test drive too.

spike98
06-29-2009, 09:05 AM
After some reading this morning i have decided that unless the test drive yields the car to suck absolute balls i am pretty much settled on it.

I will be going with a Black 2.0T with the GT Package.

After a few hours of forum reading i have found that after some free and minor bolt ons that another 50+ HP can be extracted from the 2.0T engine. Which of course will be a future venture and not within the first few years anyways.

For all the people that are compairing the genesis to the G37, that is just foolish. Sure it can "hang" with the G in terms of performace but the refinement and luxury characteristics of the G is simply not in the same league as the Genesis.

At around $10K cheaper the value to performance ratio is much greater than the G but its still slower, not as luxurious, and will fall short on the track. But for $10K i dont care!

After i have a few hours of seat time in the dealer 2.0T i am getting tonight i will report back on how it drives.

el_cap
06-29-2009, 09:25 AM
After some reading this morning i have decided that unless the test drive yields the car to suck absolute balls i am pretty much settled on it.

I will be going with a Black 2.0T with the GT Package.

After a few hours of forum reading i have found that after some free and minor bolt ons that another 50+ HP can be extracted from the 2.0T engine. Which of course will be a future venture and not within the first few years anyways.

For all the people that are compairing the genesis to the G37, that is just foolish. Sure it can "hang" with the G in terms of performace but the refinement and luxury characteristics of the G is simply not in the same league as the Genesis.

At around $10K cheaper the value to performance ratio is much greater than the G but its still slower, not as luxurious, and will fall short on the track. But for $10K i dont care!

After i have a few hours of seat time in the dealer 2.0T i am getting tonight i will report back on how it drives.

Give the 3.8 a try as well. The 2.0 doesn't really do it justice. Fun as it is to toss around, it lacks the grunt to really bring out the cars character.

spike98
06-29-2009, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by el_cap

Give the 3.8 a try as well. The 2.0 doesn't really do it justice. Fun as it is to toss around, it lacks the grunt to really bring out the cars character.

I plan on taking the 3.8 for a rip before i take the 2.0T home just to see how it feels. I am pretty much dead set on the 2.0T it comes in under my budget. The 3.8 will bring me a little over :(

tarrantas
06-29-2009, 10:04 AM
IMO the jetta is gonna be the most reliable and 2.0T is sick nothing wrong with a turbo it would school a genesis and depending on what A4 model that too probably.

bituerbo
06-29-2009, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by tarrantas
IMO the jetta is gonna be the most reliable and 2.0T is sick nothing wrong with a turbo it would school a genesis and depending on what A4 model that too probably.

A chipped 2.0T A4 gave my stock 2.7T S4 a run for its money.
+85 ft lbs and +41hp out of just a chip (241hp/292 ft lbs).
And with a turbo upgrade you can get up to 373hp and 340 ft lbs of torque on stock internals.
http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_20tfsi_long.html

Plus you have amazing build quality and luxury, and a certain amount of prestige that the Hyundai (or G35/7) can offer.

Hamann
06-29-2009, 10:36 AM
I love the new Genesis, amazing value for money, who knew Hyundai would make a great car lol.

Why are people even bothering to compare it to the Infiniti? Seriously, theres a 10k difference in price :whocares:

Congrats on the New car (Most likely :thumbsup: )

:bigpimp:

spike98
06-29-2009, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by tarrantas

I drove the jetta 2.0T and athough it was a fantastic car it is also in damn near every driveway and parking lot. I am looking for something different and in terms of style IMO the genesis wins hands down.

403Gemini
06-29-2009, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by bituerbo

A chipped 2.0T A4 gave my stock 2.7T S4 a run for its money.
+85 ft lbs and +41hp out of just a chip (241hp/292 ft lbs).
And with a turbo upgrade you can get up to 373hp and 340 ft lbs of torque on stock internals.
http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_20tfsi_long.html

Plus you have amazing build quality and luxury, and a certain amount of prestige that the Hyundai (or G35/7) can offer.

^^This

My next car will likely be an A4, I want to stick with 4dr AWD's

spike98
06-30-2009, 07:48 AM
So the 24hr test drive was a no go. Apparently you have to have a credit application completed and be approved before they will let you take a car over night. Its kinda bullshit really.

I did get a chance to drive one for a little more than an hour. Here are my impressions so far...

Power: Power is ok. From reading on a few forums the power is nice but not crazy so i wasnt expecting that. With traction control off a guy can get a nice little tail kick through turns and it will chirp 2nd and 3rd gears. After some free/cheap mods i should be able to get 250hp/260hp at the wheels so that will def make the car more fun

Trans: The transmission is solid. The 6 speed manual kinda threw me off a bit when i first got behind the wheel as i am used to a 5 speed. Shifting CAN be smooth once you practice. Revs kinda hang inbetween shifts so the clutch definatly gets a work out when shifting.

Handling: It handles very well. Its tight into corners and doesnt feel unstable and like it wants to roll. Understear is no exsistant and overstear is easily corrected by a mash of the throttle. This was only with the standard suspention as well. I feel the GT suspension would be night and day

Fit/Finsih: The car feels very well put together. Cabin noise is to a minimun. Nothing in the car feels out of place or cheap. The seats are nice and keep you planted through corners. Some things to note are the trunk is SMALL. Very small, as with the back seat. The seat belt is very far back and in order to reach it one has to turn around and reach with the right hand. This is usually the case with a lot of 2 door coupes but this was more prealevant. The right hand armrest could also be moved a little forward. As it sits with my arm my elbow just touches the armrest while in the ready to shift position.

Overall: The car made me smile a few times. With a bit more power i am sure many more smiles will be had. The RWD is something that impressed me and overall hyundia hit it out of the park with what they were trying to acheive. I am sure more practical cars can be had for the same but for a young single guy looking for some tire biters this is fitting for sure. The stares, honks and points are something that definatly make you feel like your driving a higher value car!

911fever
07-02-2009, 07:34 AM
I drove a 3.8GT Genesis with the Brembo package.
I thought it was pretty decent, but I wasn't impressed with the interior, the clutch, the room (seating and trunk), and minor things (stock sound system was garbage), and I thought on a whole it wasn't too quick for its price. Still a good deal on a whole though for its price. Wouldn't buy it for myself though, I'd rather have a used M5 or 335i

Aleks
07-02-2009, 12:02 PM
They wouldn't let you take out a sub 30K car for 24 hours without a credit ap? :nut:

So the 24hr test drive was a no go. Apparently you have to have a credit application completed and be approved before they will let you take a car over night. Its kinda bullshit really.

I did get a chance to drive one for a little more than an hour. Here are my impressions so far...

Power: Power is ok. From reading on a few forums the power is nice but not crazy so i wasnt expecting that. With traction control off a guy can get a nice little tail kick through turns and it will chirp 2nd and 3rd gears. After some free/cheap mods i should be able to get 250hp/260hp at the wheels so that will def make the car more fun

Trans: The transmission is solid. The 6 speed manual kinda threw me off a bit when i first got behind the wheel as i am used to a 5 speed. Shifting CAN be smooth once you practice. Revs kinda hang inbetween shifts so the clutch definatly gets a work out when shifting.

Handling: It handles very well. Its tight into corners and doesnt feel unstable and like it wants to roll. Understear is no exsistant and overstear is easily corrected by a mash of the throttle. This was only with the standard suspention as well. I feel the GT suspension would be night and day

Fit/Finsih: The car feels very well put together. Cabin noise is to a minimun. Nothing in the car feels out of place or cheap. The seats are nice and keep you planted through corners. Some things to note are the trunk is SMALL. Very small, as with the back seat. The seat belt is very far back and in order to reach it one has to turn around and reach with the right hand. This is usually the case with a lot of 2 door coupes but this was more prealevant. The right hand armrest could also be moved a little forward. As it sits with my arm my elbow just touches the armrest while in the ready to shift position.

Overall: The car made me smile a few times. With a bit more power i am sure many more smiles will be had. The RWD is something that impressed me and overall hyundia hit it out of the park with what they were trying to acheive. I am sure more practical cars can be had for the same but for a young single guy looking for some tire biters this is fitting for sure. The stares, honks and points are something that definatly make you feel like your driving a higher value car!

Redlyne_mr2
07-02-2009, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
They wouldn't let you take out a sub 30K car for 24 hours without a credit ap? :nut:

There is a huge amount of liability involved with sending a vehicle out on an extended unattended test drive. The actual price of the vehicle is irrelevant, it could be a 10K Yaris or a 150K LS600hl, it's the damage and the implications that it can cause that are considerable. Because of the hype of the car you also get a massive amount of tire kickers and people who really just want to bag on the car with no real intentions of buying. The credit app helps confirm the individuals information and also helps the dealer reaffirm that the individual is serious. It's unfortunate that it has come to that but having John Smith give you a fake ID then subsequently bag the vehicle all night with his buddies wrecking the interior, brakes, tires etc then using the vehicle in an armed robbery and running through a police baracade isn't very awesome (sounds crazy but I've seen it happen).:)

vape
07-02-2009, 10:42 PM
i work at a hyundai dealer, and theyre sellin like hot cakes

its a decent ride for the buck

spike98
07-02-2009, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

There is a huge amount of liability involved with sending a vehicle out on an extended unattended test drive. The actual price of the vehicle is irrelevant, it could be a 10K Yaris or a 150K LS600hl, it's the damage and the implications that it can cause that are considerable. Because of the hype of the car you also get a massive amount of tire kickers and people who really just want to bag on the car with no real intentions of buying. The credit app helps confirm the individuals information and also helps the dealer reaffirm that the individual is serious. It's unfortunate that it has come to that but having John Smith give you a fake ID then subsequently bag the vehicle all night with his buddies wrecking the interior, brakes, tires etc then using the vehicle in an armed robbery and running through a police baracade isn't very awesome (sounds crazy but I've seen it happen).:)

I understand this completely. I was told that only a pre-auth was needed and did the preauth without any questions asked. Came up approved. The day of my appointment i was to show up, be shown some things and leave with a demo car. This is what i was told by the salesman.

I then show up and was taken for a escorted test drive. No biggie. Then they wanted more info for a full credit app and i wasnt going to give it to them for a car i wasnt even sure i wanted to buy.

A soft query (aka pre-authorization) will not effect my credit score. But a full application will. When times are tough and finance companies have the requirements for lending up every point counts. That coupled with the fact they misslead me kept me from buying the car.

If i was gave the runaround when they wanted my money i couldnt only imagine the headaches in the future with service and warrenty issues.

I went with a 09 Jetta 2.0T instead. And it was cheaper.

The more i drove the car, the more i liked it. If i would have had the 24hr test drive. I would have been the owner of the first genesis sold in medicine hat.

The jetta is lovely tho and i dont regret my decision!

heavyD
07-03-2009, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by vape
i work at a hyundai dealer, and theyre sellin like hot cakes

I have only seen one on the road so far.:dunno:

nj2Type-S
07-03-2009, 08:10 AM
i've been seeing tons of these on the road. quite honestly, i like it! :thumbsup:

msommers
07-03-2009, 08:32 AM
I've seen quite a few on the road as well.

2.0T is a great vehicle though, lets us know when the mods are being slapped on:angel:

Aleks
07-03-2009, 02:43 PM

Thanks for the clarification. At Acura and BMW they just handed me the keys, Toyota and Subaru had the 24 test drive with no credit check. I am sure it's probably based on each case and dealer's judgement.

jonnycat
07-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Thought I'd mention you can get a fully loaded 2LT Camaro under your budget.

304hp / 273ft/lbs
Quicker than genesis (0-60 in 5.9 ish)
6 speed

max_boost
07-03-2009, 03:28 PM

If I printed off a copy of my most recently credit report would that be sufficient? Then that won't result in any hard inquiries at the bureau.

Redlyne_mr2
07-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

Thanks for the clarification. At Acura and BMW they just handed me the keys, Toyota and Subaru had the 24 test drive with no credit check. I am sure it's probably based on each case and dealer's judgement.
Yah it's totally the dealers call, it depends on if they've been burned in the past. I know BMW is super lax for letting just anyone take out a car, I've heard they something don't even take copies of drivers licenses. Having to fill an app and get an approval is taking it a bit too far IMO. I think a copy of a credit report or at least a credit card number is more than sufficient for overnight test drives.

Boost Infested
07-03-2009, 03:51 PM
I've seen many leaving the lot for the pass couple of months. As for the price you get the bang for your buck thats for sure. If i was buying my choice would be a 3.8L

PM me if you a good sales person and go for a test drive. I work at Precision Hyundai.

911fever
07-03-2009, 06:08 PM

Yah it's totally the dealers call, it depends on if they've been burned in the past. I know BMW is super lax for letting just anyone take out a car, I've heard they something don't even take copies of drivers licenses. Having to fill an app and get an approval is taking it a bit too far IMO. I think a copy of a credit report or at least a credit card number is more than sufficient for overnight test drives.

my dealership doesn't even look at drivers licenses when we test drive, like never.

heavyD
07-04-2009, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Boost Infested
I've seen many leaving the lot for the pass couple of months. As for the price you get the bang for your buck thats for sure. If i was buying my choice would be a 3.8L

PM me if you a good sales person and go for a test drive. I work at Precision Hyundai.

I'm not a hater but I keep hearing this 'bang for the buck' thrown around and I have to disagree. RWD aside cars like the MS3, Cobalt SS and WRX 265 will run circles around (2.0L models especially) these cars for similar money.

spike98
07-04-2009, 12:18 PM
Your argument was flawed with the begining of your second sentence. "RWD aside". You can't compair FWD (or awd) to RWD. Apples vs oranges. I ended up going with a FWD car but my intention was so go with a RWD car. And the genesis is the cheapest fully loaded on the market right now. Period

Boost Infested
07-04-2009, 01:55 PM

I'm not a hater but I keep hearing this 'bang for the buck' thrown around and I have to disagree. RWD aside cars like the MS3, Cobalt SS and WRX 265 will run circles around (2.0L models especially) these cars for similar money.

That was my point, RWD comparison. We can also compare a $1000 neon with mods and run circles around any new cars all day long. This isn't a http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ bang for your buck comparison. Referring back to my original post.

Where else can you get a rwd coupe for $36000 or less?(new car) yet with a 2L turbo or v6 option.

heavyD
07-04-2009, 03:25 PM
Where else can you get a rwd coupe for $36000 or less?(new car) yet with a 2L turbo or v6 option.

Yet with a 2L or V6? Not like those engines are anything out of the ordinary in the price range. WRX 265 is AWD and faster for that money. You can also get into a RWD RX8 for that money or very close that handles much better. Not hating on the car but it's becoming a legend a bit too fast for me considering it doesn't do anything particularly well except have a low price point.

Aleks
07-04-2009, 04:05 PM

Ford Mustang, Chevy Camaro, Dodge Challenger for RWD coupes.

And yeah for 36 grand there are many new cars out there that perform much better. But if you must have 2 doors and RWD the above domestics seem like the only other competition.

jazzyb
07-06-2009, 04:16 PM

That was my point, RWD comparison. We can also compare a $1000 neon with mods and run circles around any new cars all day long. This isn't a http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ bang for your buck comparison. Referring back to my original post.

Ford Mustang - RWD Coupe V6 or V8........ Dodge Challenger....???

jazzyb
07-06-2009, 04:17 PM
haha sorry didnt read your post aleks, haha I feel like a dumbass....

Ldeibert
07-06-2009, 08:57 PM

Yet with a 2L or V6? Not like those engines are anything out of the ordinary in the price range. WRX 265 is AWD and faster for that money. You can also get into a RWD RX8 for that money or very close that handles much better. Not hating on the car but it's becoming a legend a bit too fast for me considering it doesn't do anything particularly well except have a low price point.

Wow, wow, wow... You said something good about a Subaru?!?! You sure you don't want to put in a disclaimer at the bottom that the engine has a 99.9% chance of failure in the WRX?? :rofl:

Anyways, I think the Hyundai is getting the same hype the SRT-4 did when it was released, and when the SRT-4 came out everyone said it was going to have good resale value because it was such an amazing car, and it was a limited production run, etc. and now they have crap resale. Hopefully the Genesis is good and holds its value, and sparks competition from all the other companies...

heavyD
07-07-2009, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Ldeibert

Wow, wow, wow... You said something good about a Subaru?!?! You sure you don't want to put in a disclaimer at the bottom that the engine has a 99.9% chance of failure in the WRX?? :rofl:

Subaru had a couple runs of bad 2.5L turbo engines in the past 1.5 years. It's a fact. I was shopping Subaru in the winter so obviously I don't have issues with owning one and if EVO prices didn't go down I would probably be driving an STI today. In fact I'm always looking to get into brands I've never owned before.

lauphman
07-30-2009, 08:39 PM
i purchased my car in may then received it in June and since then the car has been great only issue i have is the rev hang but according to some online forums there will be a flash to fix this. Ive had no problems with the car at all, i already drove it down to Los angeles and back and it was great. i went with the 2.0 cause the v6 would put my monthly payments to high and i like turbos. I already ordered a intake for the car and now am trying to choose a exhaust. I'm going to drop it and add some rims and then wait for warranty to expire for more mods. already some have gotten it to 350 WHP with stock internals.
i had issues dealing with the Hyundai gallery they would not even drop the price of the car a single penny because of there claim its selling like hot cakes. I didn't feel like paying the msrp so i went to Calgary Hyundai its on the other end of town for me but i got a great deal. when the gallery phoned me a week later to see if i thought about the coupe i told them the price i got it for and they didn't believe me cause its a brand new 2010 and selling hard yada yada.....