PDA

View Full Version : FML - Lost the title to an Alberta Car - And I'm in BC!

GrandmaSideways
06-28-2009, 12:35 AM
So I lost the title.
I bought the car for my girlfriend a little over a month ago, and then we broke up. I finished the repairs, got the car inspected, etc... All was fine.
Now, I showed the car today, we agreed on price, and he said he'd sleep on it but it sounds like a done deal.
Except, the title has gone missing.
I have the BC transfer paperwork, I have the bill of sale, I have OOP inspection reports where it passed (which you have to have the title to even do) and I have everything but that little piece of paper...
I've torn the house upside down, I can't find it!
F***! :facepalm:

Sad thing is, I have all the info and was ready to transfer the title but have been working 3 jobs. I have all of the PO's info and everything, address name signature, just not the title. Hell, if I had a nice scan of a generic title, I could easily blank it out and replace all the missing info on a typewriter and print it out! :(

So alberta people, how do you replace a lost title?

prae
06-28-2009, 12:36 AM
go to the registry??? :dunno:

GrandmaSideways
06-28-2009, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by prae
go to the registry??? :dunno:

Again, I'm in BC.
Tomorrow, I'll try and find a friendly insurance agent, and politely point out I HAD a title, and I HAVE a bill of sale, as I HAD to have the title in order to do the OOP.

Joe-G
06-28-2009, 12:47 AM
Sorry to sound like a noob, but what title? Never have i needed one, even with all the previous cars ive owned. Bill of sale should be enough??

Team_Mclaren
06-28-2009, 01:15 AM
Titles exist in Canada?

eglove
06-28-2009, 09:04 AM
i've never had a title for any of the cars i've had.

Cos
06-28-2009, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by eglove
i've never had a title for any of the cars i've had.

yeah me neither, not even my used vehicles in bc

natejj
06-28-2009, 09:22 AM
What's a title?

dannie
06-28-2009, 09:30 AM
I assume he bought the vehicle in the US and lost the title that was signed over to him. There are no titles in any of the provinces.

Edit: and if that isnt what he is asking about, I would think he is asking about the registration from Alberta. In BC you have to provide the registration from the prior province in order to register.

prae
06-28-2009, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by dannie
and if that isnt what he is asking about, I would think he is asking about the registration from Alberta. In BC you have to provide the registration from the prior province in order to register.

that's what i assumed he was talking about.

Tik-Tok
06-28-2009, 10:15 AM
Either that or this guys just a troll from the U.S., and has no idea how Canadian licensing works

bjstare
06-28-2009, 10:26 AM
^interesting point. I think your probly right. Either way, no such thing as titles north of the border.
:facepalm:

GrandmaSideways
06-28-2009, 03:28 PM
Titles, registration, same thing, the pink paper.

Troll? Yeah, right. I'm trolling an Alberta car forum. :rolleyes:

5000Audi
06-28-2009, 03:30 PM
bill of sale is like the title.. you dont need the pink reg to sell a car.. if you need a bill of sale to OOP the car, get a buddie to writ one saying he sold the car to you... done deal..

oh yeah ive also insured a car in BC with temp insurance without a bill of sale.. just used my id and the vin from the car lol..good ol Delta insurance lol

banned3x
06-28-2009, 03:35 PM
you can use a mcdonald napkin for your bill of sale, "title",pink slip ect

GrandmaSideways
06-28-2009, 03:41 PM
Well it wouldn't be a problem, the car is ooped and all that because I had it, I just don't have it now.
same thing with temp, no regi needed.
It's putting it into MY name that's the issue now.
As you can see my own stupidity has put me between a rock and a hard place.

Aside from the winters, I miss Calgary and living there. :(

S4maniac
06-28-2009, 03:48 PM
When I moved to BC i lost my pinks too. Alberta registry printed me new ones .. however they had my new BC address. I had a little convincing to do to avoid paying PST as i was claiming the vehicles as settler effects (exempt).

Focus - yes Alberta Registry will print new ones for you

GrandmaSideways
06-28-2009, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by S4maniac
When I moved to BC i lost my pinks too. Alberta registry printed me new ones .. however they had my new BC address. I had a little convincing to do to avoid paying PST as i was claiming the vehicles as settler effects (exempt).

Focus - yes Alberta Registry will print new ones for you

My problem is i have to track down the last owner to do that...

5000Audi
06-28-2009, 04:30 PM
OMG MAN!!!!

if your wanting to register the car under YOUR name. get a friend to write you a bill of sale.. it DONT have to be the last owner... fuck ill write one and send it to you for christ sakes lol... you dont need the original...its not rocket science you know...

B4tMan
06-28-2009, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by GrandmaSideways
Aside from the winters, I miss Calgary and living there. :(
and the plethora of jobs

AutodreamMarvin
06-28-2009, 04:41 PM
If you are registering in BC you need:
-transfer papers
-old owners registration.

In Alberta you need:
-Bill of sale, can be made on loose-leaf paper.(Yes it has been done)
-Proof of insurance.

They are very strict in BC regarding the need for the old registration papers.

Joe-G
06-28-2009, 04:45 PM
If worst comes to worst, get a friend in Alberta to "Register it there", take that slip, and use it in BC?

dannie
06-28-2009, 05:22 PM
In BC you are required to show the registration from the prior province. They are very strict on that.

If he were to sell it to his friend and have his friend register it here, the friend would have to insure it first, then register.

GrandmaSideways
06-28-2009, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by B4tMan

and the plethora of jobs

But the winters man, the WINTERS
And the flames, f*** the flames!:D
(I grew up in Vancouver)

Anyways, if I just had a good scan of the pink copy I could MAKE my own registration, I have a typewriter, I have a god laser printer, etc... hahaha

Anyway, I'm going to go back to looking for it.
On the plus side, I've discovered a few things already that I didn't even know were lost.:nut:

71car2
06-29-2009, 09:43 AM

But the winters man, the WINTERS
And the flames, f*** the flames!:D
(I grew up in Vancouver)

Anyways, if I just had a good scan of the pink copy I could MAKE my own registration, I have a typewriter, I have a god laser printer, etc... hahaha

Anyway, I'm going to go back to looking for it.
On the plus side, I've discovered a few things already that I didn't even know were lost.:nut:

I can understand where you're saying - I grew up in Vancouver for years there. Someday I might go back, if I get a good job or a good woman first before I move back :rofl:

Good luck in finding your pink slip...I'm sure you'll find it somewhere.

bjstare
06-29-2009, 01:20 PM
Titles, registration, same thing, the pink paper.

The title and the reg aren't the same thing... same for the bill of sale. They're all different. Have any of you seen a title? Its a big piece of paper that says CERTIFICATE OF TITLE on the top, it doesn't count as your registration in any way. There is, however a bill of sale tear off sheet at the bottom of the title.
:dunno:
Anyways, enough of that. I hope you get this worked out, I've imported a couple vehicles and the paperwork can cause a huge headache. GL GrandmaSideways.:thumbsup:

4DoorGTZ
06-29-2009, 01:31 PM
I sold a car to a guy from Vancouver island, couple months later I got a call from him saying he lost the signed over AB registration slip and he's tried everything over there but they wont let him register/insure the car without it.

I was working out of town at the time so he had to wait a couple weeks but I finally went and got a reprint at the AB registry and mailed it to him. Ungrateful bastard never even sent me the $25 or so it cost me, so much for being nice.

So yeah they're sticklers about the old reg papers in BC.

911fever
07-02-2009, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by B4tMan

and the plethora of jobs

there's no jobs in Calgary anymore

Tik-Tok
07-02-2009, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by 911fever

there's no jobs in Calgary anymore that pay way more than the position is worth, and therefore no one wants them

fixed.

Still plenty of jobs around.

donkeyman
07-02-2009, 01:28 PM
Want me to scan you one so that you can photoshop and print it? haha

All you need is a scan of the pink paper right? LOL