PDA

View Full Version : Elderly Drivers... WTF?

Zhariak
06-28-2009, 05:15 PM
Wow, so time and time again, I see elderly drivers that shouldn't be on the road...

I know that some people can be as old as 90 and drive great, so I'm not saying ALL elderly drivers, but there are a large percentage that probably sucked driving when they were younger, and now that they are old just totally suck.

I was just coming into Douglas Glen (after picking my dad up from the Ride to Conquer Cancer event), and right after deer foot on 24th street this chick is tailing us.

She's an elderly lady, we have a bike rack on the back of my SUV... Her front bumper is UNDER the rack... She's driving a silver camery or something.

We turn into the glen, and start to enter a playground zone. My bro (who was driving my vehicle) slows to 30, and this bitch BLASTs up beside us doing like literally 70.

My bro speeds up and cuts in front of her to slow her down to 30 but she kept going until she comes up behind a car and almost smokes it that's parked on the side of the road....

Like WTF? It's sunny out, we are in a playground zone, little kids everywhere and this bitch is in such a hurry to get home she thinks she can pass a vehicle doing 30 in a playground zone illegally (it's one lane), AND get up to 70 km/h?????

Just my rant. I've been on the highway all day dealing with other elderly people hogging the passing lanes... But this particular incident just blew me away because of the signage, and all the little kids playing like RIGHT beside the road... Thought I'd beyond it up! I'm sure everyone has other stories!

And AGAIN, I'm not saying all elderly people suck at driving, just most.

cgyman97
06-28-2009, 05:17 PM
lol @ your bro playing copper and slowing her down.

badatusrnames
06-28-2009, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Zhariak
My bro speeds up and cuts in front of her to slow her down to 30 but she kept going until she comes up behind a car and almost smokes it that's parked on the side of the road....

Like WTF? It's sunny out, we are in a playground zone, little kids everywhere and this bitch is in such a hurry to get home she thinks she can pass a vehicle doing 30 in a playground zone illegally (it's one lane), AND get up to 70 km/h?????

But this particular incident just blew me away because of the signage, and all the little kids playing like RIGHT beside the road...

Smart, so now instead of one vehicle speeding in a playground zone where there are children around, you've now got two jockeying for position, speeding and doing 70+, almost creating an accident. What winners you both are.

Do you see the laughable irony and hypocrisy here? :thumbsdow

B4tMan
06-28-2009, 05:25 PM
Jesus Christ

My bro speeds up and cuts in front of her to slow her down to 30

Pollywog
06-28-2009, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by cgyman97
lol @ your bro playing copper and slowing her down.

I hate to say it, but i've had to do this a few times with complete assholes trying to pass me in playground zones.

FraserB
06-28-2009, 05:38 PM
Going to my parents place had one try and pass me on the right, in an intersection. It didnt work since I was speeding up and she almost smoked a bunch of parked cars. Aparently this is cause to tailgate me in a playground zone. She got braked checked as I coasted at 10kph.

Zhariak
06-28-2009, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

Smart, so now instead of one vehicle speeding in a playground zone where there are children around, you've now got two jockeying for position, speeding and doing 70+, almost creating an accident. What winners you both are.

Don't worry... I freaked out, we didn't actually get that fast, she ended up slowing down cuz of the parked cars...

Although it wasn't acceptable for us to speed up a bit (I know)... Like what else can we do. Police never investigate these incidents... She will go on to another day to end up killing a bunch of kids in playground zone... She slammed on her breaks as she was coming up to the parked cars so she was behind us, and turned off, so I couldn't get my bro to stop so I could voice my opinion...

Actually further on to all of this, I'm actually super upset about the lack of police presence in this area. People always pulling u-turns illigally at the set of lights, then legally (it should be) at the t-intersection. And I would say that atleast once everyday I see people fly through the playground zone doing 70+... Only 1 in 3 people slow down... It's super sad

TomcoPDR
06-28-2009, 07:25 PM

lack of police presence in this area.

http://www.calgarypolice.ca/sections/traffic/traffic_form.html

Tik-Tok
06-28-2009, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

http://www.calgarypolice.ca/sections/traffic/traffic_form.html

Do you think that link would work for people who are going 30km/h through a school zone at 10pm?

Hakkola
06-28-2009, 08:07 PM
I can't stand these old drivers!

Going into Glenmore landing or leaving I almost always have a problem with this old lady, I don't know why she is always leaving or going there, she must just make rounds between the clinic and the old person home.

I'm going to Glenmore Landing and you're supposed to be close to the centre of the road so people can turn right. I'm the only car and it's obvious I'm going straight, no signal light on, and she goes beside me to try to go straight into the same lane as me.

The next day leaving Glenmore Landing I'm in the left lane to turn, and I see this car stopping and going, very slowly inching her way up, inches from the side of my car. She finally stops 3 car lengths before the intersection with no one in front of her and just chilled there until the light turned green. Same lady. WTF.

Whenever I see someone driving 60 on Glenmore I look and it's almost always some old person with glasses and their head right up to the windshield.

FraserB
06-28-2009, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Do you think that link would work for people who are going 30km/h through a school zone at 10pm?

No, since thay arnt breaking any law

B4tMan
06-28-2009, 08:23 PM
Your *brother's sense of justice, although fair, is misguided.

blueToy
06-28-2009, 08:25 PM
To the OP , two wrongs never make a right . What you did was just as illegal . Who gave your brother the right to drive like he owns the road ? Yo wanna play cop , they have openings right now .
I'm not saying what she did was right , BUT , she may have a legitimate reason to be getting home . Maybe someone died ? Her grandson choking , a sick neighbour , maybe a she was late for bridge , I don't know , and neither do you . But by trying to force her to slow down also endangers all those kids even more because now you're all playing more attention to each other then to the kids .

What's best is to get a licence number , description of the make of the car and colour , and call the 2661234 number . It works ( been there , done that )

As for old people in general , they typically move slower like you will some day if you make it that far ( chances are actually getting pretty bad with cancer and other social ills ) , so try and have patience . I've been guilty of getting pretty pissed off at seniors driving ,but as I get older , you start to think that if young people are the only ones to have access to driving ,then some day you too will not be able to drive .
Also , chances are they paid a heck of a lot more taxes then you have at this point in your life , so they really do own more of it then you .

blueToy
06-28-2009, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Technically , it's 30 k till 1 hour after dusk , so right now that would be to at least 10:30ish . I have never , ever seen a radar set up for it , or have ever even heard of anyone getting a ticket for that , but , you could find a cop just itching to pull you over and use that as a excuse .

FraserB
06-28-2009, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by blueToy

Technically , it's 30 k till 1 hour after dusk , so right now that would be to at least 10:30ish . I have never , ever seen a radar set up for it , or have ever even heard of anyone getting a ticket for that , but , you could find a cop just itching to pull you over and use that as a excuse .

Last time I checked a school zone wasnt until 1 hour after sunset.

blueToy
06-28-2009, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

I stand corrected . It's playground zones , but the ones near us are marked somewhat incorrectly . Two opposing schools , and yet it's a playground zone . I've never seen kids playing near these schools , and the swing set and play area is behind one of the schools . I often wonder how confusing it would be for those not really , really paying attention to the signs . Kinda like me not totally paying attention .....:eek:

luxor
06-28-2009, 09:03 PM

Like WTF? It's sunny out, we are in a playground zone, little kids everywhere and this bitch is in such a hurry to get home she thinks she can pass a vehicle doing 30 in a playground zone illegally (it's one lane), AND get up to 70 km/h????

WOW!

The real WTF goes to the idiot family(you and you bro) that cut HER off. If she "blast" by guys at 70 km/h, your stupid bro needed to go over 70 km/h in a playground zone in order to catch up to her and cut her off. So are you saying you were going well over 100 km/h in a playground zone? You guys are retarded. If she wants to go over the limit that's her risk, don't play cop like that again, it won't hold up in court if you were to get busted or even worse killing a kid. This has nothing to do with elderly either, a soccer mom, stupid punks like you guys, or some douche bag in a pick up truck could have done the exact same thing.

Pollywog
06-28-2009, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

Last time I checked, school zones were 5:30 and playground zones were one hour after sunset.

Might I add that I totally support mandatory 5 year re-tests for class 5 licences, saying that half of you have no idea when you are even supposed to abide by the 30km/h limits..

Originally posted by luxor

WOW!

The real WTF goes to the idiot family(you and you bro) that cut HER off. If she "blast" by guys at 70 km/h, your stupid bro needed to go over 70 km/h in a playground zone in order to catch up to her and cut her off. So are you saying you were going well over 100 km/h in a playground zone? You guys are retarded. If she wants to go over the limit that's her risk, don't play cop like that again, it won't hold up in court if you were to get busted or even worse killing a kid. This has nothing to do with elderly either, a soccer mom, stupid punks like you guys, or some douche bag in a pick up truck could have done the exact same thing.

Cool your jets Turbo. I don't think the elderly woman ever overtook the two gentlemen. She appeared as if she was approaching at that speed so the two made sure their vehicle was in the way preventing her from speeding through what easily could've been a crosswalk where she would've nailed a child - not able to see them with the boys car obstructing her view.

Meback
06-28-2009, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

werd, op and his brother is an idiot.

blueToy
06-28-2009, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Pollywog

Last time I checked, school zones were 5:30 and playground zones were one hour after sunset.

Might I add that I totally support mandatory 5 year re-tests for class 5 licences, saying that half of you have no idea when you are even supposed to abide by the 30km/h limits..

Some see it as a blessing ,some see it as a curse . We live in a very unregulated part of the world . I think a 5 year retest is a great idea . I also think all cars should have a yearly check up and should have to pass pollution tests and integrity tests ( no mods or rust ) . Places like California have become a haven for regulations , and although they make sence and seem to be heading in the right direction ,I'm kinda glad we haven't drifted that for left . I even noticed when I was in Nova Scotia that the cars seemed in better shape and was told that their government is strict about rust and older cars .

spikerS
06-28-2009, 09:51 PM
See, I drove a big 4x4, and some of you may call me a red neck, but i got to do shit like this!

Originally posted by spikers
back when I lived in Cochrane, i Used to live in a division called West Terrace. to get to my house, you had to drive past mitford school, which had one of the longest school zones ever.

So, heading home, was driving past the school, doing 30kph, and a guy in a beamer got so close behind me that i could only see the back portion of his roof over my tailgate. (i used to drive a lifted chevy truck with 40" tires on it). now remember this is a school zone, solid yellow line, 1 lane of traffic each way, at about 12:30 in the afternoon with kids everywhere. The guy decides to pass me.

:banghead:

since we were approaching an intersection, threw on my left turn signal, and timed it just right so that when i turned left, i ran the front of the bimmer over. both vehicles came to rest with my front driver's side tire almost in the middle of his hood.

guy starts screaming at me and threatens to sue me and calls the cops. They show up, look at the scene, shake thier head and calm the guy down. one of the cops comes and talks to me. I tell him the story, cop gives me a knowing smile and walks off. They ended up arresting the guy, and i overheard that it was just to make his life a bit more hellish.

cops told me I could leave after the tow truck came to seperate the vehicles. i asked why and said I could just drive away, my truck didn't even have a scratch from this. Backed my truck off the bimmer and went home.

:thumbsup:

had to find this post from awhile back that i shared.

DannyO
06-28-2009, 10:01 PM

I fully agree with a 5yr re-test, but they really, REALLY need to make it harder, honestly, I'm surprised you don't buy your license at the counter at your local Walmart.

I wish I had something to complain about with elderly drivers, but the worst age group I see are between 16-80 years old.

Pollywog
06-28-2009, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by DannyO

I fully agree with a 5yr re-test, but they really, REALLY need to make it harder, honestly, I'm surprised you don't buy your license at the counter at your local Walmart.

I wish I had something to complain about with elderly drivers, but the worst age group I see are between 16-80 years old.
Dan, it's a joke here - you should know that coming from overseas. I doubt we will see any increase in the dicipline required to obtain a class 5 in this area any time soon. Its quite unfortunate that a licence to operate a motor vehicle seems more like a right than a privaledge here, but for whatever reason our ill-minded provincial and federal government deem it unnecessary to highten the challenge of obtaining a class 5. Quite unfortunate after personally discussing the government-paid drivers ed and extensive drivers test with many overseas visitors and hearing all of the benefits. Couldn't agree more with your Wal-Mart statement, its as easy as that.

FraserB
06-29-2009, 12:09 AM

I hope im not included in the last bit of this. Its pretty obvious what i meant if you look at what he posted and what I did. I do happen to know what the times are. Its the people who crawl through at 7PM who dont.

Zhariak
06-29-2009, 06:36 AM
By the way, to all the haters...

It's a hard situation to explain. By no way did we didn't get up to her speed.

And if it makes anyone feel better, I was in the back screaming to my bro to tone it down... (But like I said there we didn't nearly get as fast as she did).

All the obstacles on the side of the road (parked cards, dips on the side of the road to stop at mailboxes to get mail, etc... kept slowing her down, there was also a vehicle turning into a parking lot at the park that made her slow down, it WASN'T just us, we DIDNT need to go fast to get her to slow down, to her it was a race track with obstacles, we just needed to make sure we sped up a few times to stop her from hitting us or parked objects.

Ultimately, I'm just mad, this chick had her front bumper UNDER the bike rack on my vehicle at the lights on 24th st, before all this even happened. I can't stand when people tail me. The tailing continued from the lights all the way to the playground zone.

I think we need to start having mandatory re-tests like the other people suggested on this thread. Not sure about every 5 years, but maybe 10-15?

Zhariak
06-29-2009, 06:51 AM
And just to add on one more thing here. I didn't post ALL the details, but she kept speeding up and having to slam on the breaks for those objects I mentioned in the post above.

Like imagine sitting in the backseat and seeing some chick doing the "dazed glance forward" speeding up flying by you, then slamming on the breaks, then SPEEDING up and then slamming on the breaks.

This happened 3 times.

We didn't need to match her speed to get her to slow down, we just needed to accelerate a SMALL tad, just to make it so she didn't get a clearing which she could have gunned it off into the distance. I'd rather her hit my car, or a parked car rather than some little kid trying to cross the street.

I'm just wondering what she would have said to a police officer if she ended up hitting a light poll, my car, or a parked car after driving like a complete retard in the playground zone...

You have to understand, sometimes I'll be checking the mail in this exact spot, and people literally BLOW through the playground zone doing 80 sometimes... It pisses me off.

PremiumRSX
07-01-2009, 09:36 AM
It's true that 2 wrongs don't make a right. But sometimes I think it's necessary.

Also, it's clear to me that some people definitely misinterpreted the OP as well.

If they sped to to say 40.. just to slow down to 30 some somebody couldn't change lanes and fly by going 70. To me that would probably be acceptible.

I know the law says 30.. but sometimes people can rely on the law. People need to keep other people in check.

I would have to agree though, that the best way would've been to have an officer pull that lady over for doing over double the limit.

luxor
07-01-2009, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by PremiumRSX
It's true that 2 wrongs don't make a right. But sometimes I think it's necessary.

Also, it's clear to me that some people definitely misinterpreted the OP as well.

If they sped to to say 40.. just to slow down to 30 some somebody couldn't change lanes and fly by going 70. To me that would probably be acceptible.

I know the law says 30.. but sometimes people can rely on the law. People need to keep other people in check.

I would have to agree though, that the best way would've been to have an officer pull that lady over for doing over double the limit.

You don't understand how the legal system works do you?

"but sometimes people can rely on the law. People need to keep other people in check."

So if a convicted murderer got only 2 years behind bars and not the full life sentence with no chance of parole. Would you go find him and hold that convict captive in your basement for the rest of his life? Or killing him? Is that how you think this works?

msommers
07-01-2009, 01:52 PM
Ironically, I've felt like blazing by some jackasses doing 30km/h or less in a playground zone at 7 in the morning.

Zhariak
07-05-2009, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Ironically, I've felt like blazing by some jackasses doing 30km/h or less in a playground zone at 7 in the morning.

Lol I know how you feel.

This happened early afternoon with little kids everywhere!

anschutz_92
07-05-2009, 04:51 PM
Didn't read anything after the playground speeding... but why not follow elderly driver home, get out and confront her. You don't have to do anything but get in her face. Make her fear you.
Can't speed in playground zones if she's dead. Just saying.

Disoblige
07-06-2009, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by anschutz_92
Didn't read anything after the playground speeding... but why not follow elderly driver home, get out and confront her. You don't have to do anything but get in her face. Make her fear you. Can't speed in playground zones if she's dead. Just saying.

So.. She should die because she sped in a playground zone? Interesting.

luxor
07-06-2009, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by anschutz_92

Can't speed in playground zones if she's dead. Just saying.

Speed through playground zone = death?

Cut back on the video games nerd.

reijo
07-06-2009, 10:03 PM
Couldn't believe the arrogance of these young drivers these days......where do they get their licences these days any way?

First they block me from getting by on the freeway even tho' I eventually tried to "encourage" them to drive faster by driving closer to their bumper.....no luck......then in the neighbourhood they kept speeding up and blocking/stopping me from getting by them. Idiots!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Zhariak
07-07-2009, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by reijo
Couldn't believe the arrogance of these young drivers these days......where do they get their licences these days any way?

First they block me from getting by on the freeway even tho' I eventually tried to "encourage" them to drive faster by driving closer to their bumper.....no luck......then in the neighbourhood they kept speeding up and blocking/stopping me from getting by them. Idiots!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I still remember this one time I was on deerfoot up by the airport. 3 people side by side, 2 were oblivious as to they were boxing everyone in doing 90, the 3rd I thought was oblivious but get this...

Traffic was boxed in for over 10 minutes behind these people. Finally number 2 person in middle lane realizes what's going on because he decided to check his rearview mirror for the first time since he left home and realized he was getting tailed. He sped up and changed lanes to the very right lane.

EVERYONE changes into middle lane (im literally talking about 30 cars) and just starts flying by number 1 person in the passing lane, and number 3 in the very right (they are still bumper to bumper)...

EVERYONE that jumped in the middle lane and started to accelerate kept fingering and honking at the chick in the passing lane (this started by Glenmore in the S.E. and went all the way up to the airport).

As everyone fingered, honked, made gestures at the chick in the fast lane, she just sat there smiling and pointing at her speedometer... Like WTF! Congrats that you got 5km/h close to the deerfoot speed limit...

bjstare
07-07-2009, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by luxor

You don't understand how the legal system works do you?

"but sometimes people can rely on the law. People need to keep other people in check."

So if a convicted murderer got only 2 years behind bars and not the full life sentence with no chance of parole. Would you go find him and hold that convict captive in your basement for the rest of his life? Or killing him? Is that how you think this works?

Yep, comparing traffic infractions to murder charges. Spot on.

:facepalm:

luxor
07-07-2009, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by cjblair

Yep, comparing traffic infractions to murder charges. Spot on.

Nice try, but I was not comparing charges you imbecile.