PDA

View Full Version : Winter Roads

max_boost
10-30-2003, 11:06 PM
Is it just me or this year's edition of winter much more difficult to deal with? I know it's just the beginning but is it because there are no sanding trucks in sight? Or is it because it rained before it snowed? Or is it because of all the bumps on the roads? Or am I just crazy?

GT2NV
10-30-2003, 11:10 PM
With ABS the ice isnt that hard to deal with.. but god damn theres alot of bumps on the road, my car has been in the garage for the past three days.. and it sure aint going anywhere for a while

KoukiS14
10-30-2003, 11:10 PM
I think its cause of the slushy heavy snow mixed with rain during just freezing temps, like 0, then freezing at -10 or so making roads very bumpy and icey

That.Guy.S30
10-30-2003, 11:11 PM
yo the roads are fucked up... haah its still sheer ice in applewood plus its bumpy as hell

max_boost
10-30-2003, 11:12 PM
Everytime I hit a bump, I think I'm gonna go sideways.....lol
I don't care about the snow, it's the ice that I can't deal with!!!

Would studded tires bite through the ice better???

I can't wait for the chinook to roll into town

KoukiS14
10-30-2003, 11:13 PM
Screw studs, you need CHAINS

prosh
10-30-2003, 11:39 PM
Ya Sammy,

The fact that they haven't done hardly any road sanding and how on the first night, the blowing snow was just melting as it hit the pavement. Then freezing overnight to create a nice little skating rink w/ packed wet snow overtop. Makes for interesting driving.

Sucked having to shovel nearly a ft deep of snow at 9 AM the next morning. Did get some amusement from people attempting to navigate through the skating rink err playground zone I live in.

ACS-e36
10-30-2003, 11:41 PM
yea it real bad this time... just a sheet of ice

hope it melts

CRXguy
10-30-2003, 11:50 PM
I just got home. The roads are BUMPY as hell. Felt like my whole car was about to fall apart, and my back hurts now! :rofl:

I still haven't seen any city trucks on the streets. But I did see someone plow the backroads out in Bearspaw. :dunno: Also went through Hamptons, and one side of Hamptons drive is not drivable. There's like 2ft of snow and no one's done anything about.

Lazy ass city workers.

That.Guy.S30
10-30-2003, 11:58 PM
haha crxguy did you liek the massage you get from applewood dr?.. hahahahaha fuck man i swear i can imagine myself back in my jeep when those bumps hit.. plus the subie is sooooooo loud too

88CRX
10-31-2003, 12:21 AM
ya.... the road have never been this bad.... impossible to go over 20 in residential roads that havent been cleaned due to the fact that everything is so god dam bumpy :banghead:

max_boost
10-31-2003, 12:23 AM
These two nights have been the most stressful nights for doing deliveries.....at least people understand.....I mean, how fast do you want me to drive??!?! The roads are freaking crazy ahhh

CRXguy
10-31-2003, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by surfertech
haha crxguy did you liek the massage you get from applewood dr?.. hahahahaha fuck man i swear i can imagine myself back in my jeep when those bumps hit.. plus the subie is sooooooo loud too

I was ready to turn back and go to bed, but I was hungry. lol

Are you talking about my subie being loud? I'll make sure to put it in neutral next time, crybaby! haha

Originally posted by max_boost
These two nights have been the most stressful nights for doing deliveries.....at least people understand.....I mean, how fast do you want me to drive??!?! The roads are freaking crazy ahhh

Let's hope I don't go into any ditches this weekend! :rofl:

rage2
10-31-2003, 12:58 AM
Arbour Lake is pretty messed. I live on the top of a hill, and it's pure ice going up... makes it tough.

At the bottom of the hill, there's a road beside a field, and it's turned into 1 very narrow and bumpy lane, cuz the entire road turned into a snow drift.

Even buses are running late... I see kids waiting 1hour+ by the stop.

C4S
10-31-2003, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by rage2
Arbour Lake is pretty messed. I live on the top of a hill, and it's pure ice going up... makes it tough.

At the bottom of the hill, there's a road beside a field, and it's turned into 1 very narrow and bumpy lane, cuz the entire road turned into a snow drift.

Even buses are running late... I see kids waiting 1hour+ by the stop.

:banghead: :banghead:

I heard you ! and some dump trucks are still driving so fast ! ::thumbsdow
I can't hardly go up hill !

Damn .. really need to put my snow tires on ! :dunno:

Ajay
10-31-2003, 02:02 AM
Roads are shit....the Civic has been sitting under a pile of snow since it all started. Been driving my pop's van for the last two days.

Don't see the buses going up Hawkwood Blvd as much lately...makes sense...it's sheer ice.

Supposed to be warmer on the weekend so hopefully it all goes away.

accordboi_02
10-31-2003, 02:08 AM
Where is the city with all of this happening though??

It's not like we haven't had a large dump of snow before... they're claiming that "all available crews are working" but I have yet to see shit on the roads, and I drive around the city all day.

McKnight on Wed night was BRUTAL, esp. near McCall way and even up near Barlow... should've just parked the car, strapped on some skates and would have made it to my destination quicker!

Nice to see our tax dollars at work!! :rolleyes:

EG STyLeZ
10-31-2003, 02:08 AM
Yeah, the roads are very bumpy right now... even on parts of deerfoot, there are bumps if ice! And when you're deerfoot speed over the bumps, it's pretty scary.

kenny
10-31-2003, 02:24 AM
All the snowplows are on what the city calls priority 1 roads, until those are dealt with they wont hit other roads. These include, Country Hills Blvd., Anderson Road, Macleod Trail, and roads in the Central business district.

You can read more about it here:
http://www.calgary.ca/cweb/gateway/gateway.asp?GID=394&CID=200&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fcontent%2Ecalgary%2Eca%2FCCA%2FCity%2BHall%2FBusiness%2BUnits%2FRoads%2FRoad%2BMaintenance%2FSnow%2Band%2BIce%2BControl%2FSnow%2Band%2BIce%2BControl%2Ehtm

That.Guy.S30
10-31-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by CRXguy
[B]

I was ready to turn back and go to bed, but I was hungry. lol

Are you talking about my subie being loud? I'll make sure to put it in neutral next time, crybaby! haha

naw bro i meant the subie is loud in the car as in car noise.. no sound deadening

GT2NV
10-31-2003, 06:58 PM
what i wouldnt give to own a scoobie in the winter:burnout:

SoSlowDx
10-31-2003, 06:59 PM
^POS subies no insulation haha j/k binh

That.Guy.S30
10-31-2003, 07:04 PM
haah yea well hondas cant make it up hills.. ahahahahaha

CRXguy
10-31-2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by surfertech

naw bro i meant the subie is loud in the car as in car noise.. no sound deadening

sit in my car! you'll go nuts. :rofl:

Ben
11-01-2003, 12:13 AM
Roads are Pretty bad thats for sure, I just hate to hear the Salt word. Poor cars.

frostyda9
11-04-2003, 07:46 PM
November 4, 2003 - Calgary budget for snow removal is gone, with winter still weeks away.

The cost of clearing our roads of the white stuff has gone one million dollars over budget. City officials deny they have cutback on services in the almost 15 million dollar budget.

1 million OVER? I have seen a grand total of about 1 truck on the roads.... how the phuck do you blow that size of budget so fast and not appear to do anything? :dunno:

3G
11-04-2003, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by frostyda9
1 million OVER? I have seen a grand total of about 1 truck on the roads.... how the phuck do you blow that size of budget so fast and not appear to do anything? :dunno:

lubrication for the truck drivers to sit and jack off in their trucks

92 Teg-B18A
11-04-2003, 08:27 PM
It's like the City of Calgary sanded the first day it snowed. Then didn't really bother to plow/sand the side roads at all! There's so many bumps and grooves that throw the car around on the side roads. Weird cause they usually plow some of the side roads by now.:dunno:

Mr.Touchdown
11-05-2003, 10:34 AM
i have been driving my old bens since april and once i got my lude my borther got the benz and he smashed it because of the snow!!! man im pissed

Hakkola
11-05-2003, 10:49 AM
Man, I love snow!!!!!! I haven't brought the Benz out yet, but I put Nokian's on the Volvo, takes some of the fun out of winter driving but I guess it's for the better.

They should hold a rally in Pumphill, so much fun! :rofl:

Mr.Touchdown
11-05-2003, 10:52 AM
and watch people DIE!!! lol

nismodrifter
11-05-2003, 11:11 AM
I absolutely hate the roads......so bumpy it nearly makes you sick

On residential roads you either stay EXACTY in the center track thta has been made by everybody driving on it or you're dead. If one of your wheels gets off the track then you're instantly sideways.........not like there's anything wrong with that though ;)