PDA

View Full Version : Question swap for Honda gurus

95EG6P
06-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Hello,

I currently have a Civic Si Hatchback with an d16z6 engine in it. Now I found a D15B engine and 5 speed tranny. The question that I have is what will be need for the swap? ie: mounts, axles?

What can I keep that is part of my old engine that I could use on the new one. Should I also change the clutch or anything else before I drop the engine in?

Can anyone also recommend a installer for this? The lowest price possible for the install will be the best.

Thanks for all the help beyonders.

Mr_ET
06-29-2009, 03:42 PM
Everything will swap over from mounts to axles to wiring as long as it's an obd1 d15b vtec motor.

If you can afford it, getting a new timing belt/water pump and new clutch assembly in there will provide the best reliability for you but you can always just inspect the clutch to see how much life is left.

95EG6P
06-29-2009, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Mr_ET
Everything will swap over from mounts to axles to wiring as long as it's an obd1 d15b vtec motor.

If you can afford it, getting a new timing belt/water pump and new clutch assembly in there will provide the best reliability for you but you can always just inspect the clutch to see how much life is left.

How do I inspect the clutch, what do I look for? What does the new clutch assembly consist of? Does it come in come in a package or is it all brought separately?

Where do I get the timing belt, water pump? Canadian tire?

Thanks

G-ZUS
06-29-2009, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by 95EG6P

How do I inspect the clutch, what do I look for? What does the new clutch assembly consist of? Does it come in come in a package or is it all brought separately?

Thanks

Autovalue, You can get a clutch kit which comes with the clutch disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing and i can not remember whatever else

Mr_ET
06-29-2009, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by 95EG6P

Thanks

A clutch is sold as a kit and usually comes with the clutch itself, the pressure plate, the throwout bearing and sometimes the pilot bearing that goes into the flywheel.

If you plant to make stock power or around there I would recommend an exedy stage 1 clutch, it will be easy to drive in traffic and will last a long time.

If you want to inspect the clutch you would need to remove the transmission from the d15b, then remove the pressure plate and finally inspect the clutch surface. It is a round disc and the friction surface should look fibery and should have plenty of material left, if it's getting smooth then the clutch should be replaced.

Also note that when replacing a clutch I would highly recommend getting the flywheel resurfaced.

You can buy the clutch kit online or through any local shop. I would highly highly recommend an OEM honda timing belt and water pump if you want reliability, anything else will not last 100 000kms.

pm me if you'd like to keep this going or have any other questions, I'd be glad to help.

ShermanEF9
06-29-2009, 09:25 PM
I would just get a new clutch while the motor is out, it will save you a lot of work later.