PDA

View Full Version : CAPPA Certification

sheena
06-29-2009, 04:06 PM
I am considering getting a CAPPA certificate, but i've conflicted thoughts regarding the certificate. Some say its good and some say its bad...
i really need help before i make this desicion...anyone got any thoughts ??? :cry:

PeterGTiR
06-29-2009, 04:25 PM
I've heard that it's very hard to get into a CAPPA related job without a good network and I think it'll depend on your work experience also.

I have a friend who was taking courses, but I never really heard anything else from it. There's a thread here with a few more people in the know:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread/t-79414.html

sheena
06-29-2009, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the reply... so would it be better for me to just get an accounting certificate instead of CAPPA??

Originally posted by PeterGTiR
I've heard that it's very hard to get into a CAPPA related job without a good network and I think it'll depend on your work experience also.

I have a friend who was taking courses, but I never really heard anything else from it. There's a thread here with a few more people in the know:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread/t-79414.html

PeterGTiR
06-29-2009, 04:56 PM
I think it depends on you, how much work experience you have, what you want to do with a career and how far you want to take it.

Although it seems like you can make a lot of money from a career as a production accountant from the other thread, it may have limits as to what you can do. Again, it's probably a personal choice for you.

I can only speak from the SAIT certificate side of things. I have a little bit more schooling than the certificate though. If you want to know more, you're welcome to send me a PM.

Doozer
06-30-2009, 08:01 PM
I took the first two levels, but not because I wanted to be a PA. I work for a software company that deals primarily with oil and gas, and it's something I recommend to most of my staff just for the knowledge it provides.

The courses were valuable, but it depends what you want to get out of it. It's great if you specifically want to be a PA, and it's pretty darn good if you're looking for more knowledge about the administration side of oil and gas, but if you're trying to move into general accounting or something, it's quite a few steps away from that.