PDA

View Full Version : Photography Related Jobs

TDFTW
06-29-2009, 05:44 PM
Anybody hear or see any jobs that deal with photography? And not the sales part of the spectrum the actual practice of it? My dept at work is going be shut down in a couple months which leaves me looking for a new job. They say it won't happen but we know it is.

Just trying to find something to plan ahead.

Graham_A_M
06-29-2009, 10:19 PM
I'd get your name out in the wedding photography world. Now is the time, since there are weddings almost week long.
You really have to have good people skills towards making them laugh and enjoy themselves... but asides from that even from just a picture quality perspective I think you're good to go.
A friend of a friend makes an *incredibly* nice living for himself being a wedding photographer. Hes way over in Tuscany right now doing a photoshoot would you believe... :eek: ... as if thats not enough? everything is all in-clusive. :bigpimp:
So there is a fair bit of room at the top if you're one of the best. Keep that in mind as an option if nothing else. That and I'd try some auto performance publications as well.

Cos
06-29-2009, 10:22 PM
didnt you just get that job? Shitty

chkolny541
06-29-2009, 10:23 PM
tough egg to crack, but remember theres an old saying, never to work a job doing something you love, keep a hobby a hobby

TDFTW
06-29-2009, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by chkolny541
tough egg to crack, but remember theres an old saying, never to work a job doing something you love, keep a hobby a hobby Photography for me is different. I practice that old saying. I've experienced that old saying, but for some reason taking photos for a living is fun. It will never get old for me. I think the best part about it , is even though you're working for somebody else you're still at your own freedom to add your own flair to it and do what you want. not like they have to see ALL the photos haha

Melinda
06-30-2009, 12:14 AM
Unless you get a job at a studio or firm, your best bet is to go at it as a freelancer. Tough to get a steady income going though, even with a killer portfolio and a couple of years under your belt. Part of it is due to everyone with a digital camera thinking they're a pro, which not only saturates the market with 'pros' but it makes people less likely to hire a real pro because they think they can do it themselves (that or uncle Ernie who bought a 5D mk II just because the guy at the store said it was the latest and greatest). I'd check some of the job listing sites and see if there's anything there though, good luck! It's hard work and often little money being an artist!

TDFTW
06-30-2009, 12:18 AM
Yeah that's the reason I stopped doing graphic design and logos. Because people were doing it for 20 dollars i wasnt able to charge anything more :\

I'm trying to think of something unique to offer thats set apart from all the other cookie cutters who think they are pro. I'd love to do freelance and build a bank account but it's hard enough to sell photoshoots as it is. I could advertise on beyond but it would cost a few hundred to get that sponsor status :\