PDA

View Full Version : Need a job! Anybody hiring?

r-karsk
06-29-2009, 05:44 PM
Looking for part time or full time, though I'd like to work as much as possible. I just really need a job. I'm not too picky so if anybody knows of some openings preferably in South Calgary, let me know. I've been applying to places online for the last two weeks and I've got nothing.

About me:

20 years old

3rd year Econ student at the UofC

2 Office jobs - ~1 year combined experience (admin assistant and customer support)

3 Retail jobs - ~1.5 years combined experience (most recently sales at a shoe store)

1 Volunteer pos. - about 6 months (one school year) with a university sports club

3 references available from my last 3 employers.

If you're hiring, or know someone you could pass my resume on to, just send me a PM or post in this thread and I'll pass along my resume.

Suggestions for places to work at are also welcome.

Cos
06-29-2009, 06:32 PM
why do you have 6 months at every job?

r-karsk
06-29-2009, 06:50 PM
Just how it happens to work out. I usually work full time for the summer and part time during the school year.

The retail jobs in particular usually allowed me to work full time for some of the summer and part time during the school year, I would usually switch to a higher paying full time job in the summer which wasn't as flexible and thus wouldn't let me continue to work part time during the school year resulting in me going back to the retail sector.

Besides that... it's combined experience. I was at some jobs for only 3-4 months, and others for 8 or so. It all just evens out.

Amysicle
06-29-2009, 07:52 PM
What it would look like to a potential employer is that you're not serious about any of the jobs you get.

With the amount of people applying for jobs these days, why should they take the time and money to train you when you're only looking at what the employer can offer you and that you'll most likely leave in less than a year anyways?

msommers
06-29-2009, 08:07 PM
Not only that but you're listing yourself as a student. Landscaping or warehouse might be available though.

Start thinking in september about applying to good jobs for that coming summer

/mom

cgyman97
06-29-2009, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Not only that but you're listing yourself as a student. Landscaping or warehouse might be available though.

Start thinking in september about applying to good jobs for that coming summer

/mom

/gay post

Graham_A_M
06-29-2009, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Cos
why do you have 6 months at every job?

:werd: If i was an employer I think I'd pass as well. :dunno: Not worth investing the time and energy training a person only to have them leave just months down the road and do something else:(

Cos
06-29-2009, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

:werd: If i was an employer I think I'd pass as well. :dunno: Not worth investing the time and energy training a person only to have them leave just months down the road and do something else:(

yeah i didnt mean it to be rude or to call him out. it is just the first I noticed, now if it was the first thing I noticed I imagine it is EASILY spotted by someone who's job it is.

Although his explanation is sound, I wouldnt hire him for the summer. I stuck it out two days a week at an engg firm when they gave me a summer job and a fall opportunity and it is better than swapping every 6 months.

chkolny541
06-29-2009, 10:33 PM
remove that your a student from your resume, you may think youll look better with it on, i GAURENTEE it does nothing but hurt your applications, who gives a shit about a 2nd year, this or a 3rd year that, your still nothing without that degree

And secondly i would look around i know a FEW warehouses are looking for work, so as long as you arent a 110 lbs skinny asian boy. You really just gotta check the heralds, youll find alot of good oppurtunities in there, pay is the best, but so long as you are really dedicated alot of the warehouse jobs are doable, ive been in warehouses paying my way through uni for 4 yrs now, its nice to have 8k in the bank and still live a really comfortable few months on summer break.

big thing, DONT LET THEM KNOW YOUR A STUDENT, if you dont get re-hired next year who cares, hopeflly there will be more jobs next year so itll be easier to find one anyways

ercchry
06-29-2009, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by chkolny541
remove that your a student from your resume, you may think youll look better with it on, i GAURENTEE it does nothing but hurt your applications, who gives a shit about a 2nd year, this or a 3rd year that, your still nothing without that degree

And secondly i would look around i know a FEW warehouses are looking for work, so as long as you arent a 110 lbs skinny asian boy. You really just gotta check the heralds, youll find alot of good oppurtunities in there, pay is the best, but so long as you are really dedicated alot of the warehouse jobs are doable, ive been in warehouses paying my way through uni for 4 yrs now, its nice to have 8k in the bank and still live a really comfortable few months on summer break.

big thing, DONT LET THEM KNOW YOUR A STUDENT, if you dont get re-hired next year who cares, hopeflly there will be more jobs next year so itll be easier to find one anyways

jesus christ, 4 years of school and you still can not spell....

or at least proof read.

and worst advice yet....

first off... cos has it right, get in with a company that you can continue with after school this is the best even if the pay is not. second, never lie to an employer about anything you never know who they know and how they COULD have helped you farther down the line (read: do not burn bridges)

and even if you do not have a full degree it WILL still help you with jobs, and to get paid more. (the company i am with values any and all education and will even help you financially down the road to complete the schooling)

edit: ps, i personally think that is a pretty solid resume for someone that has (presumably) been a student for their whole life. for this year it is probably way too late for a summer job but in the future remember contacts and cover letters are key, as well as being personal (apply in person rather then online)

maybe look for a job that you can work full time at till the fall then continue with the company part time during school (like a waiter or Starbucks or something)

vinc456
06-29-2009, 11:10 PM
If you're interested in part time my buddy mentioned that at least one Mark's Warehouse location is hiring. There's also the mall I keep reading about in the Herald.