PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here work or have worked for a coffee shop before?

copynpaste
06-30-2009, 05:23 PM
Just curious - the hourly wage isnt the best but I hear you make decent tips even though theres no serving involved. Post your experiences here on how you found working in a coffee shop/cafe. Was it worth it? Is it hard work?

I was told Starbucks only pays $9.25/hr and others like Second cup is $9, Good Earth $9.50.

Darkane
06-30-2009, 06:05 PM
You also get your picking on all the book worm, nerdy girls with thick black rimmed glasses that smell like hippies. :dunno: :poosie: :poosie:

Graham_A_M
06-30-2009, 09:58 PM
^ Oh I've seen more then a good share of drop dead gorgeous babes that frequent such establishments.
:eek:

The pay isn't great, but its a cool gig. I had a co-worker once work at the Millrise Starbucks. Dont count on the tips, they aren't great. On the flipside the (specialty) coffee is free and You'll learn how to make some wicked coffees with minimal equipment in no time.
If nothing else is turning up, go ahead and give Starbucks, Second cup (etc) a shot. :thumbsup:

If you can, try to get in with the Millrise Starbucks, the girls there are totally cool and HOT. I love that place. I'd almost work there for free :clap: :clap:

copynpaste
07-01-2009, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^ Oh I've seen more then a good share of drop dead gorgeous babes that frequent such establishments.
:eek:

The pay isn't great, but its a cool gig. I had a co-worker once work at the Millrise Starbucks. Dont count on the tips, they aren't great. On the flipside the (specialty) coffee is free and You'll learn how to make some wicked coffees with minimal equipment in no time.
If nothing else is turning up, go ahead and give Starbucks, Second cup (etc) a shot. :thumbsup:

If you can, try to get in with the Millrise Starbucks, the girls there are totally cool and HOT. I love that place. I'd almost work there for free :clap: :clap:

Ya ive always wondered why so many people love working at coffee shops even though the $ is piss poor. Under $10/hr in this day and age isnt great when most jobs are $14-15. So im guessing people go for coffee shop work for the environment and experience?

07-01-2009, 01:47 AM
I think Tim Hortons has better wages than the ones you posted, but that's not the kind of coffee shop you're looking for I assume ;)

ercchry
07-01-2009, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

umm.... my girlfriend works there

but yeah the "tips" suck, they are all added together and divided up between everyone based on time worked that pay period. but she does have a pretty flexible schedule, she asked for the whole aug long weekend off and got it with no issues

they get all the free drinks they can handle starting 30min before their shift till 30min after, and they get a free pastry during every shift. they as well get 1lb of coffee a week and 30% off at every starbucks

ronaldo
07-01-2009, 04:39 PM
You can easily make $20 in tips at a couple of the coffee shops that I own within an 8hr period.

which works out to an extra $2.50/hour, at $9 you still make $11.50/hour, and get free coffee all day long!

and of course get to chat it up with all the pretty ladies;)

Canucks3322
07-02-2009, 10:38 AM
ronaldo...are you hiring for weekends? :D