PDA

View Full Version : Hey honda guys, few questions for you

sr20s14zenki
06-30-2009, 06:39 PM
I want to do a 5 speed swap on my 91 civic 4 door...what do these ones use in 5 speed models, cable clutch or hydraulic clutch. Would anybody have the parts i need to do this laying around? I am also planning on doing a turbo kit on it, using the SAFC hack, just for fun, unless anybody has a cheap alternative to that already cheap mod.

Anyways, any advice is welcome, thank you for your help guys.

mo_money2supe
06-30-2009, 06:45 PM
If you're using a stock motor/tranny, the clutch will be cable actuated. If you're wanting to swap in a newer motor with a hydro clutch, however, then there are a few clutch conversion/adapter kits you could choose from to make it work. There are also a few combinations you could do with newer motors combined with older trannies so that you don't have to use the adapter as well, albeit, it's more work and it's also harder to source the right parts. As for slapping on a turbo, unless it's a low-km motor with good seals, it's definitely not the best idea. Those d-series motors tend to blow head-gaskets very easily.

Mr_ET
06-30-2009, 06:46 PM
It's a cable transmission from 88-91 after that they switched to hydrolic. Your best bet is someone with a 5spd parts car or pick n pull to find all the parts needed.

Just get a service manual and concentrate on the pages that break down all the parts that have to do with the transmission, cables, shifter mechanism and pedal assembly.

For the turbo setup the afc hack is not the best but if you plant to be around 140-175whp on a relatvely healthy motor you should be ok as long as you tune it decently well.

You could always go with the uber cheap missing link and FMU but that is as ghetto as it gets. I'd honestly just look into getting your stock ecu chipped and run something like BRE or Turboedit that are both free.

sr20s14zenki
06-30-2009, 06:48 PM
Yah i was going to get a SOHC Zc and drop that in. So my plan is this, i have this gutless automatic 91 civic 4 door. Did these come in anything but auto? im sure they did, but im just checking. If so, i can just go get all the shit out of one at PNP. Im sure parts from a hatchback of the same year will also work? Also, when i drop the ZC in, i want to change to multiport injection manifold vs TBI or whatever this shit is. So, if i change my manifold, what am i looking at to use for an ecu and harness? Can i just use a SI harness and ecu?

I got a t25 from an sr20 laying around, im sure itll run a 1.5 litre just fine. I found cast manifolds for 125$ Im sure i can fab up the rest. Tuning shouldnt be an issue (=

Mr_ET
06-30-2009, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
Yah i was going to get a SOHC Zc and drop that in. So my plan is this, i have this gutless automatic 91 civic 4 door. Did these come in anything but auto? im sure they did, but im just checking. If so, i can just go get all the shit out of one at PNP. Im sure parts from a hatchback of the same year will also work? Also, when i drop the ZC in, i want to change to multiport injection manifold vs TBI or whatever this shit is. So, if i change my manifold, what am i looking at to use for an ecu and harness? Can i just use a SI harness and ecu?

I got a t25 from an sr20 laying around, im sure itll run a 1.5 litre just fine. I found cast manifolds for 125$ Im sure i can fab up the rest. Tuning shouldnt be an issue (=

if you get a sohc zc find yourself a nice si transmission to mate it to you'll thank me later.

Any other item aside from the transmssion and clutch assembly should be the same from any 5 spd EF. Avoid the 4spd STD and HF model.

your zc will already come with a MPFI manifold and injectors so your best bet for direct plug and play is an si harness and pm6 90-91 ecu they will run the engine fine and the ecu cn be chipped if you want a better tuning option.

My old EF was basically that exact setup but I had a much bigger turbo :P

sr20s14zenki
06-30-2009, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Mr_ET

if you get a sohc zc find yourself a nice si transmission to mate it to you'll thank me later.

Any other item aside from the transmssion and clutch assembly should be the same from any 5 spd EF. Avoid the 4spd STD and HF model.

your zc will already come with a MPFI manifold and injectors so your best bet for direct plug and play is an si harness and pm6 90-91 ecu they will run the engine fine and the ecu cn be chipped if you want a better tuning option.

My old EF was basically that exact setup but I had a much bigger turbo :P

Ok, well explain this, all the zcs that jdmsource sells AFAIK are carbeurated and then you switch to YOUR existing manifold....are there different ones?

89s1
06-30-2009, 08:17 PM
there is quite a few different ones. Some mpfi, others not. the only thing to remember is that on the old dual carbed zc's they had a camshaft driven vacuum diaphragm fuel pump attached to the head. you'll remove that and need a block off plate for the hole it used to insert into the head.

I have a 5 speed trans off a dx if you want it as well it's yours.

sr20s14zenki
06-30-2009, 08:19 PM
Yah i can make a blockoff plate in about 5 seconds, thats not a problem, i just want a block thatll take boost.

i am interested in that 5 speed tranny, pm me how much.

will that engine and tranny combo just bolt right into my car? Do i need manual axles or are they the same.

89s1
06-30-2009, 08:58 PM
axles will be the same, but you'll need at least one different tranny mount/bracket.

the blockoff plate wont see boost, its in the head casting, not connected to the ports in any way so you're good there.

78si
07-01-2009, 12:27 AM

:P

The Si harness isnt "plug and play". Your best bet is to modify your DPFI harness. Google "honda dpfi to mpfi swap" or "honda mpfi swap"

Nissan_Fanboy
07-25-2009, 11:03 PM
D16z6 FTW ?

Mr_ET
07-27-2009, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by 78si

The Si harness isnt "plug and play". Your best bet is to modify your DPFI harness. Google "honda dpfi to mpfi swap" or "honda mpfi swap"

The si harness is plug and play with a sohc zc non vtec engine as it is the same as a d16a6 except for the cam.

the sohc zc vtec is different but I wasn't taking about that one and was under the impression Evan wasn't either.

78si
07-27-2009, 11:47 PM

The si harness is plug and play with a sohc zc non vtec engine as it is the same as a d16a6 except for the cam.

the sohc zc vtec is different but I wasn't taking about that one and was under the impression Evan wasn't either.

His car has a d15b2 in it.. How are you going to make the SI/ZC harness work in a non Si chassis?