PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations: Exterior door installation

Boostn
06-30-2009, 07:31 PM
Anyone have experience with any local Calgary companies / contractors that sell and install entry doors? Let me know of your recommendations, I'm looking at replacing both front and rear. They're just your standard single doors, nothing fancy. What's the ballpark price range nowadays to have something like this done?

blueToy
07-01-2009, 02:22 AM
For a door , anywhere from $200 on up . Ive seen doors that were in the tens of thousands .
If it's a simple removal and install , probably a couple of hours , by the time the locks and hinges are done etc . But if anything is done outside the norm , expect the time to double ( a whole new jam ) . Plus , if it's a older home , replacing a door jam may require much more work/time .
I've just replaced one of mine , but I got help from a contractor buddy . Older home and we had to rip out old jam and do a new install . Actually , we had to rip off the old aluminum covering and by the time we had it up and almost finished ( workable ) , it was six hours . Of course , door guys are way faster . New door ... $380 . Parts and I got new locks/handle , another $300 . Lunch and beverages another $40 or so .

there are a few companies I've heard about . One in the Greenview industrial park called Calgary windows and sash ? or something . Supposed to be very good , but not 100% .

prae
07-01-2009, 09:17 AM
http://www.westernwindows.com/ have been recommended on here before

Boostn
07-03-2009, 03:25 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try contacting that western windows place. Tens of thousands for a door? Must be fancy high security ones for a mansion. :eek: My home is only about 15 yrs old so I suspect the install shouldn't be too painful. I think I'll let the pros handle this work though, it'll cost way more but I've never done this before and don't want to mess it up. Any others?

Oh and I spoke with reps from Home Depot and Rona, apparently they can arrange to install doors bought through them. They wouldn't reveal which local contractors they use but claim they are top notch. They carry doors manufactured by Masonite, Premdor, Jeld Wen?, Gienow, CWD. Anyone experience these brands and can comment on their quality?

ExtraSlow
07-03-2009, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by prae
http://www.westernwindows.com/ have been recommended on here before
I'm one of the guys who recommend them. I used them to replace two entry doors on an older home. This was entirely new header, sills and jambs, plus a "mid range" quality door. I think it was about $1200 per door. I did it as part of a lager window and door package, so I can't remember the price for each door by itself.

I was very impressed with their communication and service. Price was about middle of pack for the places that I got quoted.

They've won the Calgary Herald consumer choice award many years in a row, which is probably a good sign.

If it's just the door you need replacing, and you don't mind doing it yourself, go to Windsor Plywood, they sell an amazing selection of doors.

Dwight Gritton
01-28-2014, 07:36 AM
I have replaced my front doors(fiber glass replacement) with the help of http://www.clerawindows.com/contact/vaughan . May be you can try this out. :thumbsup:

Weapon_R
01-28-2014, 09:33 AM
Home improvement warehouse sells an installation service with all its doors.

Tomaz
01-28-2014, 12:14 PM
Check your PM. There are a few people on here, including myself, that work in the industry that would be more than happy to teach you everything you need to know.

Like others have said, the range of pricing can be pretty drastic. Just this month I have sold a $400 door, and a $60,000 door. The average is between $1000 and $2500 PLUS installation (around $750-$1000 for a qualified person/company installation).

What style are you going for? any glass? any preference in materials? Those factors will affect pricing a lot.

My suggestion to everyone is to buy something that is designed to last and provides you with at least a 10 year warranty. Fiberglass doors are an inexpensive upgrade, and is far stronger. I also suggest that the exterior frame is cladded with some material like Metal or PVC so you dont have to paint, and protects the frame from the elements. Those $200 doors from HD are a great for a bugest solution to fix something NOW, but if you want low-maintenance, reliability, and longevity, I suggest looking at stuff that isn't on the shelf.

Post up any questions on here, and I will be happy to answer. :thumbsup:

blueToy
01-30-2014, 01:53 PM
:rofl:

Bumped five year thread.

Tomaz
01-30-2014, 05:08 PM
Holy shit. didn't even catch that. lol :rofl: