PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Dyno? Davenport only?

importadrenelin
08-21-2002, 08:36 AM
Is there another Dyno in Calgayr besides Davenport racing?

Redlyne_mr2
08-21-2002, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by importadrenelin
Is there another Dyno in Calgayr besides Davenport racing?
dynomotive....:thumbsup: he charged us 400 bucks for the entire day..really cool guy too..its a mustang dyno however so it isnt completely accurate

Ralliart
08-21-2002, 09:36 AM
There is also

- Western Motorsports (Mustang Dyno)

- RCTS (Dynojet)

GT2NV
08-21-2002, 10:35 AM
concept 1 i believe has one now too:thumbsup:

importadrenelin
08-21-2002, 10:42 AM
anyone know the phone numbers to these palceS?

Redlyne_mr2
08-21-2002, 10:51 AM
http://www.wcmra.bizland.com/
..dynomotive

Clem
08-21-2002, 11:02 AM
RCTS www.monstorhorsepower.com

redline
08-21-2002, 12:08 PM
www.dynomotive.ca

4wheeldrift
08-21-2002, 12:13 PM
Still no one with an all wheel drive dyno though :banghead:

Redlyne_mr2
08-21-2002, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
Still no one with an all wheel drive dyno though :banghead:
..its coming

4wheeldrift
08-21-2002, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

..its coming

yeah, I've heard that before :dunno:

Ben
08-21-2002, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by black94gt
concept 1 i believe has one now too:thumbsup:

Are you serious?!?!?!?!

WOOHOO!!!

legendboy
08-21-2002, 12:56 PM
I vote for a beyond.ca dyno day!

B18C
08-21-2002, 03:36 PM

dynomotive....:thumbsup: he charged us 400 bucks for the entire day..really cool guy too..its a mustang dyno however so it isnt completely accurate

How big of a difference is there between a mustang and a dynojet dyno? I've heard everything from nil to HUGE :dunno:

I mean they can't be that bad...can they?

Redlyne_mr2
08-21-2002, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by B18C

How big of a difference is there between a mustang and a dynojet dyno? I've heard everything from nil to HUGE :dunno:

I mean they can't be that bad...can they?
10-12% difference..so not huge and pretty easy to do the math

Davan
08-21-2002, 06:04 PM
The local JCA club here just had a dyno day at Davenport. It's a dynojet dyno. Every run was very consistent. We booked ahead of time for a Saturday, and they only charged 75 bucks per person for a pair of runs.

Ekliptix
08-21-2002, 06:26 PM
Does Unlimited Performance and Exhaust do Dyno's? My Dad had his V8 built and dynoed there, but it was and engine dyno not RW.(550hp &Tq yahooo!)

4wheeldrift
08-21-2002, 06:31 PM
They dyno, so does guyon. But those are both engine dynos, not chassis dynos like davenports. Great if the motor happens to be out of your car (or hasn't gone into your car yet)

DSM Power
08-22-2002, 05:36 PM

..its coming

WHAT??!! More details please !! :hitit: :D :D

I'm thinking it'll be a Dynapack for example. :dunno:
http://www.dynapack.com

4wheeldrift
08-22-2002, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by DSM Power

WHAT??!! More details please !! :hitit: :D :D

I'm thinking it'll be a Dynapack for example. :dunno:
http://www.dynapack.com

I'm not holding my breath. I've heard lots of people say calgary's gonna have an all wheel drive dyno for over two years now and there still isn't one available. I'll believe it when I see my car strapped to it.

Toma
08-23-2002, 05:17 PM

WOAH!! Not accurate? Deadly accurate. There will always be differences from dyno to dyno.

What you guys SHOULD be thinking is.... there are about dozen chassis dyno manufacturers in the world. 90% of them read lower then a Dynojet. Maybe you should ask yourselves why. ;)

The offer still stands....anyone with a NA motored car that goes to Davenport can come to me for a free dyno so we can see if there really is a difference, and if so, how much. Must be on the same day, with zero tuning changes.

Boosted cars don't count, cause my dyno will load your car differently, and your boost curve will most likely be different.

How many cars have you seen from a Dynojet, boasting 500+rwhp numbers, yet they go to the track and run under 120mph? ANY drag race program I have puts a 3400 pound car of 500rwhp in the 125+mph range! If it was a drag car, it would be over 130mph.

As an example, my personal car made 430 to the wheels, ran 10.8 at 127mph. Running the 430 hp through something like Quarter Jr. predicts 129mph. Another program I have predicts 126mph.

Don't fall for the "cheap" interent rwhp calculators (the ones that use the formula (mph/234)^3xWeight = HP ...... they are NOT wheel horsepower numbers, they are PEAK engine power numbers (I talked to Patrick Hale, the guy that came up with the original formula in 1985 about this).

Besides, dynos are for tuning, not bragging ;)

Toma

redline
08-23-2002, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Toma

The offer still stands....anyone with a NA motored car that goes to Davenport can come to me for a free dyno so we can see if there really is a difference, and if so, how much. Must be on the same day, with zero tuning changes.

Toma

how is next friday? i want to play with intakes a bit on my car!

90_Shelby
08-24-2002, 12:16 AM
"How many cars have you seen from a Dynojet, boasting 500+rwhp numbers, yet they go to the track and run under 120mph? ANY drag race program I have puts a 3400 pound car of 500rwhp in the 125+mph range! If it was a drag car, it would be over 130mph."

Which cars are you refering to Toma?
Any cars we have calculated with HP and weight are pretty much dead on for MPH.

I must argue on the whole load thing as well it doesn't seem consistent as far as street driving for tuning purposes. Maus car had a completely different torque curve on your dyno than Davenports which could reult in incorrect tuning could it not? Deans car also made peak power at a much higher RPM on the Dynojet which is where it pulls to on the street as opposed to the lower peak power on yours. Deans also made more power than torque on the Dynojet as opposed to more torque on yours, this must have something to do with the lower RPM for peak power?

I'm no expert this is just what I have observed for differences and Dynojet is the industry standard in the dyno market.

B18C
08-24-2002, 01:51 AM
I'm not a dyno expert by any means and all I have to go on are my own observations.

I really liked the Toma's mustang dyno. It worked pretty good for me. My runs were consistent (more so than either of my previous dyno sessions at Davenport - but that was before they upgraded their dyno), which made tuning easier.

Now, I know that load doesn't affect sc's as much as turbos but I found the changes we made on the dyno worked really well on the street. Power is MUCH smoother now.

ScreaminCRX
08-24-2002, 01:01 PM
Anyone who is interested here are the numbers between the two dynos, on different days of course.

Dynomotive
Max pwr 477 @ 5200
max trq 575.5 @ 4100

Davenports
Max pwr 520.7 @ 6000
max trq 498.7 @ 4700
I'll keep my opinions to myself but both excellent dynos.

Dean

B18C
08-24-2002, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by ScreaminCRX
Anyone who is interested here are the numbers between the two dynos, on different days of course.

Dynomotive
Max pwr 477 @ 5200
max trq 575.5 @ 4100

Davenports
Max pwr 520.7 @ 6000
max trq 498.7 @ 4700
I'll keep my opinions to myself but both excellent dynos.

Dean

what car is that on? na? sc'd? turbo?

redline
08-24-2002, 04:29 PM
NOS stang

Toma
08-25-2002, 10:02 AM
Dean....curious.... what was the rpm at which your peak numbers occured on both dynos while you were NA, and what were these numbers? I have a STRONG suspiscion of why the numbers are so different in your case....

As for Dynojet being the industry standard....only cause they paid Nascar huge $$$ for a sponsorship. Be aware though that 100% of Nascar teams use engine dynos for R&D, and 95% of them use Dyna-Paks for chassis dyno type tuning/work, and NOT their dynojets. And only "industry standard" in the US, the rest of the world, the Industry standard is DynoDyanmics which is an almost identical unit to the Mustang 250 but made in Australia. It also reports much lower numbers then a dynojet. Just pick up any "import" magazine, like Hot 4's, or Zoom etc....

You are not likely to see a Dyna-Pak in Calgary. If you did, the prices would be very high for not much advantage for you or me. THe base Dyna Pak is $80,000 US, the Base Dyno-Jet is $25,000 US, the Base Mustang 250 is $29,000 US (with many options for each). Think about the time the shop would have to spend to use a Dyna-Pak.....jack the car up, unbolt your wheels, bolt on the adapter etc....then remove it all. You would also pay $$$$.

Nascar teams use them cause they are portable, and there are no tire to roller losses (tire deformation, slippage etc...)

It only seems like there is a discrepency in power with higher horsepower cars. I had a Cavalier with a Quad 4 that made 127hp at Davenports, and a week later, made 124hp on mine.....

Depeding on Deans answer to my above question, there maybe some reasons for it now that I think about it.....

Toma

ScreaminCRX
08-25-2002, 08:12 PM
Naturally aspirated it made peak power at 5700 on the dynojet.That was also done last year and was starting to experience valve float at around 6000 rpm. Yours I don't know because you ended up graphing it out using mph(if you remember). The nitrous results posted earlier are clearly different. I have my thoughts as to why but what are yours. Private message me if you'd like.

Dean

Toma
08-26-2002, 09:29 AM
My first thoughts are slippage on the rollers.... Hard to say for sure without seeing a mph versus rpm graph. Would not take much slip to "lose" 70 lb ft.... My dyno has slightly less contact surface area then the dynojet, even though it has 2 rollers, BUT, BUT, because my dyno is off the ground, I can strap you down HARD - almost straight down (as I did cause I knew you were gonna make killer power).

Next thought was rpm pick-ups are different, and mine is reading lower then Daveonports for some reason.

Mine measures actual torque at the rollers, it is not a calculated value like on the dynojet. Dynojets is calculated from the calculated horsepower at that RPM.

So, if you made 499 ft lb @4700 rpm, that is 446hp (499x4700/5252). So, if you were slipping or the rpm pick-up was off, and the real rpm point for this torque was 4100 like mine indicated, your actual torque would be 571lb ft (446hp*5252/4100 rpm). All this was the simple formula hp=torquexrpm/5252

This CANNOT be a coincidence that the PEAK torque on BOTH dynos if calculated back to the same rpm is within 4 lb ft!!!!

The slippage theory could also ccount for the higher upper rpm numbers. If the tires slightly started to grab harder in the upper rpm as torque fell off a bit, the momentun would zing the power higher at higher rpm.....

just a theory, and would explain the very small discrepency I am seeing with low power stuff between the dynos....

Another consideration though is that strapping downward with a lot of pressure wastes more power then being strapped backward....

Toma

90_Shelby
08-26-2002, 10:04 AM
Dynojet calculates torque from how fast the known mass of the rollers is accelerated, horsepower is than caculated using the standard 5252 formula. We also sat in the trunk to ensure the tires weren't spinning on the rollers.

Toma
08-26-2002, 11:22 AM
Probably not, I won't argue with you here, but it really does not matter, since both number are calculated from the acceleration rate of the rollers.

What the dynp jet does is sample the roller speed at time a, then sample the roller speed at time b. The change in speed over time is acceleration. THe interval is made sufficiently small that it is then interpolated as acceleration at specific time (speed or rpm) c. So, if you know acceleration, and you know mass, diamter of drum etc (hence inertia), you calculate power. You then need engine rpm to calculate engine torque. Torque has no time component, and requires no motion. It is simply a force at a distance.

So whatever, same difference really. Calculated figures (both). period. You need very accurate timing for sample intervals, you need very accurate speed pick-ups. Can you see real time hp and torque on the screen during the run yet?? (before it would only display rpm and mph)....

It is just a theory, and I cannot believe that the torque numbers are almost exact if the peak torque rpm is taken at the same point.

If it was not slip, then it MAY BE differences in rpm pick-ups.... Like I said, I am not convinced yet till I get a car on both dynos on the same day....

We don't race dynos.

DYNOS ARE FOR TUNING. The track is for bragging ;)
Toma