PDA

View Full Version : Looking for computer...

swak
07-01-2009, 01:12 PM
I am currently in the hunt for a good desktop computer that can handle moderate gaming. (Not WOW quality or anything)
Just interested in buying the tower.
Looking at spending $6-700 TOPS! Pref around 500 ish though.

Where would you recommend looking around and is there anything one should really look out for?

HyperZell
07-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by swak
I am currently in the hunt for a good desktop computer that can handle moderate gaming. (Not WOW quality or anything)
Just interested in buying the tower.
Looking at spending $6-700 TOPS! Pref around 500 ish though.

Where would you recommend looking around and is there anything one should really look out for?

Lol, WOW is quality? You are going to be pleasantly surprised when you start looking at rigs. Nowadays, everything can run WOW...it's like a 5 year old game.

Anyways, Memory Express is a great place to go. You can describe your needs and your budget and walk out very happy with a nice new tower.

Boat
07-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by HyperZell

Lol, WOW is quality? You are going to be pleasantly surprised when you start looking at rigs. Nowadays, everything can run WOW...it's like a 5 year old game.

Anyways, Memory Express is a great place to go. You can describe your needs and your budget and walk out very happy with a nice new tower.

Word if you look at the system requirements, they are pretty lack-luster.

Memory express will be simple. They will try to get you on the product replacement, some will argue its good, but if you are looking at a budget I would probably skip it all together.

VeilOctane
07-03-2009, 02:52 PM
you can do a hi-end system that will handle most games and 1080p for under 700 bucks easy!!!

i just built one for my buddy with parts from memoryexpress

CPU: amd quadcore 9950 $179.99
motherboard: evga nforce :$119.99
memory: patriot ddr24gb pc2-6400 :$64.99
hardrive: 1tb hdd western digital 7200rpm: $109.99
powersupply: antec 430w $59.99
total: under $700

you will need a case and operating system.

i thru in UBUNTU.com which is a free open source operating system.... works wonders for WOW and 1080p playback, and all your basic desktop stuff more stable than windows too don't have to worry about viruses and spy-ware etc.

scat19
07-03-2009, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by VeilOctane
i thru in UBUNTU.com which is a free open source
operating system.... works wonders for WOW and 1080p playback, and all your basic desktop stuff more stable than windows too don't have to worry about viruses and spy-ware etc.

Opensource = easiest to have viruses and all that crap. WTF are you talking about?

And where is your dedicated PCI-E Vid Card? If you're playing game, you need this.

And AMD, don't get me started on that :poosie:

VeilOctane
07-03-2009, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by scat19

Opensource = easiest to have viruses and all that crap. WTF are you talking about?

And where is your dedicated PCI-E Vid Card? If you're playing game, you need this.

And AMD, don't get me started on that :poosie:

the only viruses you can get with linux are the ones you give permission to do so.

have a look here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=765421)

amd.. but the guy asked for a budget system so i recomended amd there normally cheaper. unless he wants more power at a expensive price then go intel..

he can still get a dedicated pci-e card but the onboard contains a 8600 geforce.. and not a bad card for something that is built in.

BTW I have tried Crysis on this motherboard. and it runs fine!

^^^^swak: good luck on your next computer purchase:):)
feel free to play with the System Configurator you can see different towers and hardrives and cpu choices and build one for your needs.here (http://www.memoryexpress.com/SystemConfig/Default.aspx)

if you go to memoryexpress in the south talk to Philip. hes the best guy to deal with as i buy all my stuff from there im almost there every day to pickup parts for work.

wawistoner
07-03-2009, 05:29 PM
Ubuntu rox

evoXfan
07-03-2009, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by VeilOctane

he can still get a dedicated pci-e card but the onboard contains a 8600 geforce.. and not a bad card for something that is built in.

BTW I have tried Crysis on this motherboard. and it runs fine!

The EVGA Nforce 730a (priced at $119.99) got an 8200 integrated GPU... and i wouldn't try Crysis on it...

msommers
07-03-2009, 08:33 PM
He may be referring to the "WOW" factor of amazing video/sound, not WoW the game...

Xaroxantu Zero
07-03-2009, 09:06 PM
IMO, this is the most reasonable setup in your price range:

http://i42.tinypic.com/k2bsp3.png

A case with a 500W PSU should be more than enough to handle your 9800GT.

4GB of DDR2 RAM has the greatest value now - you're only saving ~$15 for getting a 2GB. To utilize 4GB, though, you'll need to use 64-bit Windows (XP, Vista, or 7).

500GB of HDD space should be enough to get you started. You can always upgrade it easily later on.

When it comes to games, the graphics card is always the most important part, so even if you sacrifice a little on the CPU, you'll still get good performance.

Boat
07-04-2009, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by msommers
He may be referring to the "WOW" factor of amazing video/sound, not WoW the game...

Yea that makes more sense!