PDA

View Full Version : Stipulations for Buying a Used Vehicle

Yee12
07-01-2009, 04:57 PM
Hey,

I was wondering if I could get some help on something. I just bought a used 96 Honda Civic yesterday thinking that it was in good condition. It is mechanically sound for the most part but when I took it home I realized that it might have been previously stolen. The steering column is all messed up... the seller did not tell me about this. Is there a law regarding what you are supposed to tell the buyer or is it buyer beware always?

Pollywog
07-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Carfax maybe?

Weapon_R
07-01-2009, 05:02 PM
Buyer beware, you had reasonable opportunity to investigate the problems yourself.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-01-2009, 05:19 PM
I would say its buyer beware also.

A2VR6
07-01-2009, 05:26 PM
Agreed, plus alot of times on the bill of sale it says the car is sold "As is" anyways (or atleast thats what iv'e seen).

zieg
07-01-2009, 05:37 PM
Maybe it was just attempted stolen.

dannie
07-01-2009, 05:39 PM
It is a buyer beware thing. The few dollars it takes to do a search on the vehicle is worth it.

Did you do a carfax search? Did you register it yet?

CRXguy
07-01-2009, 08:05 PM
why does everyone keep saying to get a carfax? use carproof since we're in canada.

Doozer
07-01-2009, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Yee12
It is mechanically sound for the most part

Originally posted by Yee12
I realized that it might have been previously stolen. The steering column is all messed up
How did you find out the first part (before you bought it, presumably) without finding out the second part?

Masked Bandit
07-04-2009, 12:00 PM
I think you're pretty much on your own for this one. Did you have it mechanically inspected? If so and the mechanic missed it, you might be able to get a discounted rate on some repairs?

:dunno:

Wrinkly
07-08-2009, 12:38 AM
Yep - unfortunately you may well be on your own depending on what was written on your offer to purchase/bill of sale.

When you buy a vehicle "as is" (Alberta) the seller does not have to divulge any information about the condition of the vehicle.

HOWEVER; if asked direct questions about the vehicle, then he is bound by law to answer honestly. If he doesn't, then even with an ""as is" sale you have recourse. (Of course, you then have the burden of proof to deal with :nut: )

This is what I found out when researching this myself just last week. Can't remember the source, but pretty sure it was official law or gov't info. But I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong :angel: