PDA

View Full Version : Whats better and more cost efficient when getting a new intercooler

Redlyne_mr2
08-21-2002, 09:59 AM
Im lookign into getting a new intercooler, problem is the kits that are available for the mr2 are small as hell and pretty pricey...has anyone here ever built an intercooler and purchased the end tanks and core seperatley...does it come out cheaper and just as good if not better in the end?

MrX
08-21-2002, 01:05 PM
It all depends on the setup that you are running. There should be a couple of places around town that can build you up something, just give them the dimensions you want for your intercooler and get them to quote you something.

Keep in mind that custom is not always the better way to go cos the size of an intercooler/ amount of plumbing/ flow characteristics of intercooler can be advantageous or detrimental to your engine size/ setup.

Redlyne_mr2
08-21-2002, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by MrX
It all depends on the setup that you are running. There should be a couple of places around town that can build you up something, just give them the dimensions you want for your intercooler and get them to quote you something.

Keep in mind that custom is not always the better way to go cos the size of an intercooler/ amount of plumbing/ flow characteristics of intercooler can be advantageous or detrimental to your engine size/ setup.
in theorie if I retain the same amount of plumbing (mayeb larger diameter piping), but an aftermarkte core (apexi) of similar size..woudl this not be an improvement

MrX
08-21-2002, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

in theorie if I retain the same amount of plumbing (mayeb larger diameter piping), but an aftermarkte core (apexi) of similar size..woudl this not be an improvement

yep that would be an improvement..you would have better flow into the intercooler from the larger piping, and the apexi intercooler would be much improved over stock. What i was refering to previously was being careful when choosing a core. Improper core choice could have adverse effects on performance.

Redlyne_mr2
08-21-2002, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by MrX

yep that would be an improvement..you would have better flow into the intercooler from the larger piping, and the apexi intercooler would be much improved over stock. What i was refering to previously was being careful when choosing a core. Improper core choice could have adverse effects on performance.
now most mr2 aftermarkte intercoolers are very thick...i coudl find an apexi one with the right width and height but not as thick ..is it even worth doing if its not as thick .?sorry about all these ?'s I just don't know much about the composition of an intercooler

dj_honda
08-21-2002, 04:56 PM
surface area is more important than thickness
i think

dj_honda
08-21-2002, 09:24 PM
k i wrote that before leaving from work
the thickness difference may just be because of a different design all together, so u can;t really say that would have any effect on the efficiency.....
the reason i say S.A is more important than thickness is because the point of the intercooler is to cool air, and the more surface area that is exposed, allows for more air to cool

mr2 intercoolers are usually small anyways....

i think custom work would be fine on the piping as long as it is done properly and looks quality....not some junkyard job

Redlyne_mr2
08-21-2002, 10:19 PM
dont worry the mr2 isnt about junkyard stylez....thansk for the info Ill et you know the results...

Joe Malms
08-22-2002, 05:02 PM
Talk to mau dude.
He built his brother a trunk mount with the XS engineering GTR core.

Redlyne_mr2
08-22-2002, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Joe Malms
Talk to mau dude.
He built his brother a trunk mount with the XS engineering GTR core.
ya man I totally will..thanks..:thumbsup: