PDA

View Full Version : McRae finds no ride. Drops out of WRC.

hjr
10-31-2003, 05:54 PM
McRae to give up World Championship rallying:
October 31, 2003
Colin McRae has announced that he will not contest the 2004 World Rally Championship.

The 1995 World Champion was left without a drive when Citroen decided to keep Carlos Sainz and has failed to raise the funds to run a semi-works car.

“There are numerous reasons for not competing in the 2004 World Championship and one of the main things is the change in the specific regulation that says each team can only have two registered cars,” McRae said. “It didn’t help that a definite decision wasn’t made early enough in the year to give anyone a chance of securing a drive. Because of that, the only option left was to find the funds to pay for a drive and, given the short timescale, it’s just almost impossible to pull that kind of money together.

“At the time Citroen made its decision, Carlos was in a stronger position in the championship than me, and still is. It also has very strong links with the Spanish market so both of these factors obviously contributed. Had the driver regulations not changed, Citroen had always stated they would keep all three of us; now they can’t.

“All this, coupled with the fact that it’s not been my best year in the sport, have meant I’ve not really enjoyed it. And I’ve always said that when I don’t enjoy it, I would seriously consider stepping back. The results haven’t been there and these two things go together; if you’re enjoying it, you’re competitive. I’m not as competitive as I want to be and this is another reason for pulling out.”

McRae said that he remained “positive” about his future in other fields and acknowledged speculation that he might contest the Paris-Dakar Rally in January.

http://www.worldrallynews.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?newsid1067591601,47452,

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Too bad, the sport looses another great.

EK 2.0
10-31-2003, 06:01 PM
:( NOOOOOO, Mr. McRae was always one of my fave drivers...way back when he was campaigning with Subaru...I for one will miss him this season...

92 Teg-B18A
11-01-2003, 01:30 AM
Last few years he's been dropping back bit by bit. Sad to see him go, I guess I figured Makkinen would retire before him.

4wheeldrift
11-02-2003, 08:40 AM
He could have got another ride with a different company, but he didn't want to take a pay cut to go with a company that might not be competitive. He'll almost certainly be back, sooner or later.

euro tang
11-02-2003, 12:26 PM
I hope he still makes more kick ass rally games

92 Teg-B18A
11-02-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
He could have got another ride with a different company, but he didn't want to take a pay cut to go with a company that might not be competitive. He'll almost certainly be back, sooner or later.
Yeah, I don't know why he left Subaru? He did so well there! Hopefully he can find a competitive ride!

hjr
11-02-2003, 05:32 PM
he offered to drive no salary for a competative team. That shows that he was willing to make sacrifices. Im quite sure he will be back in 2005.

Rexxrally
11-03-2003, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by euro tang
I hope he still makes more kick ass rally games

Well, he actually didn't have anything to do with making the game. He just lent his name, did some voiceovers, and gave them some advice on vehicle physics and dynamics. It was a software company that actually makes the game.

If he leaves WRC, they can always rename it "Petter Hollywood Solberg Rally 2004" next year.............