PDA

View Full Version : Telus Free PVR?

aaronck
07-02-2009, 11:14 AM
Was surfing and saw Telus TV is offering 3 years free rental on a PVR with their new Telus Satellite TV, which is essentially Bell, on what ever plan you want, which starts @$33 per month or so.
I called Shaw and asked for something similar, and they won't touch it. PVR is $400 at the cheapest-end of story, as they feel their service is THAT much better.
As a client of Shaws for the past 15 years or so, I'm pissed off and want to take my Internet and TV dollars away from them.
Is Telus really that much worse?

GQBalla
07-02-2009, 11:18 AM
Telus is THAT MUCH worse.

i hate it, my GF hates it.

Our place has telus tv and internet for free for a year (which ill be switching as soon as thats done)

but ive noticed especially in HD ch's it will start to lag when i surf the internet.

digitizes and the interface is horrible reminds me of xbox 360 menu.

the internet so far has been good, found out the connection to my building is actually fiber optic.

aaronck
07-02-2009, 11:29 AM
It's not the IPTV though, it's their Satellite service-which is Bell Xpressview

GQBalla
07-02-2009, 11:34 AM
ohhh

hrmm i actually have no idea sorry my mistake

adam c
07-02-2009, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla
Telus is THAT MUCH worse.

i hate it, my GF hates it.

Our place has telus tv and internet for free for a year (which ill be switching as soon as thats done)

but ive noticed especially in HD ch's it will start to lag when i surf the internet.

digitizes and the interface is horrible reminds me of xbox 360 menu.

the internet so far has been good, found out the connection to my building is actually fiber optic.

boardwalk properties?

GQBalla
07-02-2009, 11:41 AM
nope, union square

cdnsir
07-02-2009, 11:45 AM
Since it is simply rebranded ExpressVu, it can't be bad at this free rental price.

The thing is, even their IPTV is great at my place. 2 TVs and 2-3 other devices on my network and never lags. For the one time that I had a problem it, their tech was pretty good over the phone. And when came for a service call, it was free of charge as well.

Also, since my entire house is on their bundle, they're giving me I think 15% off on top of everything. I would imagine this will apply to their satellite TV as well. It seems like a pretty good deal anyway you look at it. As soon as my contract's up with the IPTV, I'll for sure sign with their satellite so that I can get more HD channels.

Cock Knuckle
07-02-2009, 12:00 PM
I was also looking at Telus's Satellite offerings, mainly because of the possibility of getting an upgraded PVR and possibly a discount for having another service through them.

In the end, their PVR's are expensive, their channel selection "groups" are pretty crappy (same as Bell).

In the end I could not justify cancelling my 15yr old grandfathered Expressvu service because it is still cheaper AND has more channels than any of the new programming options. WTF?

Equivalent satellite plans have jumped close to 70% more than my old plan. Thanks for the regulation CRTC, you f-ing idiots!

darkkent
07-02-2009, 12:07 PM
I had TELUS IPTV when I live in Coventry Hills and had no issues with it and the ADSL was fast enough for what I do. Only reason I cancelled was because I moved and I couldnt get it at my new house. I just ordered TELUS satellite TV on the 3yr deal to get the PVR and they are installing it July 13th. Everyone in my area has BELL and dont complain about it so the service should be fine.

aaronck
07-02-2009, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the input-I'm not sure I want to go with Telus and get a dish on my roof, but I think Shaw is forcing my hand on this one.

lint
07-02-2009, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by aaronck
Thanks for the input-I'm not sure I want to go with Telus and get a dish on my roof, but I think Shaw is forcing my hand on this one.

They're forcing your hand by providing consistently good service and value that has kept you a customer for 15 years....

Isn't Telus only offering 3 years free rental on the pvr in exchange for singing a 3 yr contract?

aaronck
07-02-2009, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by lint

They're forcing your hand by providing consistently good service and value that has kept you a customer for 15 years....

Isn't Telus only offering 3 years free rental on the pvr in exchange for singing a 3 yr contract?

They've provided me decent service, times are changing and I now have an HDtv. I could've switched my Internet to Telus years ago for various offers of free computers and such but I've stuck with them. It boils down to-do they want my $100 per month for the next 10 years or so, or do they want $400 one time for this PVR. Doing the math, they're missing out on at least $3600 in revenue over the 3 years, for $400. I think they are being dinks.
I don't need to own the box-they can loan it to me for a few years, same as Telus, but they don't do that.

lint
07-02-2009, 02:33 PM

They've provided me decent service, times are changing and I now have an HDtv. I could've switched my Internet to Telus years ago for various offers of free computers and such but I've stuck with them. It boils down to-do they want my $100 per month for the next 10 years or so, or do they want $400 one time for this PVR. Doing the math, they're missing out on at least $3600 in revenue over the 3 years, for $400. I think they are being dinks.
I don't need to own the box-they can loan it to me for a few years, same as Telus, but they don't do that.

Sounds like you made up your mind, so what's stopping you from making the switch?

If you don't think shaw cares, they probably don't. Shaw adds as many subscribers in one quarter as Telus has added since they started offering TelusTV

avishal26
07-02-2009, 02:36 PM
I am in Vancouver for a while and out here Telus is providing free rental of a PVR with a one year contract .. which is pretty good IMO.

cdnsir
07-02-2009, 02:52 PM

Sounds like you made up your mind, so what's stopping you from making the switch?

If you don't think shaw cares, they probably don't. Shaw adds as many subscribers in one quarter as Telus has added since they started offering TelusTV

The guy just wanted to get some feedback from actual customers maybe? If you have it and it's terrible, please feel to bag on in it. If not, please don't talk as though Shaw's the next best thing since the blowjob.

lint
07-02-2009, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by cdnsir

The guy just wanted to get some feedback from actual customers maybe? If you have it and it's terrible, please feel to bag on in it. If not, please don't talk as though Shaw's the next best thing since the blowjob.

I worked for Telus and I had alpha, beta and public release TelusTV. Of those that I worked with, most only kept it because Telus offered it at a 40% discount and even then it wasn't enough to get all employees to switch or to stay. So many employees cancelled TelusTV service that the VP put out a moratorium on employee cancellations.

Is that actual enough for you?

aaronck
07-02-2009, 03:12 PM
And that's for the Satellite service? I'd be using that as well as their hi speed internet, not Telus TV

cdnsir
07-02-2009, 03:28 PM

I worked for Telus and I had alpha, beta and public release TelusTV. Of those that I worked with, most only kept it because Telus offered it at a 40% discount and even then it wasn't enough to get all employees to switch or to stay. So many employees cancelled TelusTV service that the VP put out a moratorium on employee cancellations.

Is that actual enough for you?

There we go, at least now we're on the same page! So this problem that you had, must have been from a few years ago right? I've been with them since the summer of last year, and there's really nothing bad enough to get me to cancel. If I had to pick a bone... I'd say their receiver sucks just cuz it doesn't have a channel/clock display on it... lol

OP - Anyway, I don't see how the satellite will interfere with their internet. Your TV will be on coax and your internet will be through the phoneline, shouldn't be a problem at all.

mazdavirgin
07-02-2009, 03:37 PM
And that's for the Satellite service? I'd be using that as well as their hi speed internet, not Telus TV

Why don't you just get the service from Bell? At least then you are dealing with the company providing the service not a third party reseller. Shaw does offer rentals for PVR's if you are so inclined however they do not give them away for free. Shaw usually is cheaper, you don't have to pay for service calls, and you can cancel when you want instead of being locked in with a provider.

Ed the SOHC
07-02-2009, 11:44 PM
A friend of mine works at Telus and had the IPTV and now Telus Satelite. He said that Telus Satelite works great (way better than the IPTV) because it's just simply Bell "rebranded". I think Shaw will lose customers because of this.

I won't switch to Telus myself...

My family has sworn off Telus long time ago. I had their internet, cell phone, and home phone once upon a time but found that when an issue arises (ie. disrupted service, service calls, or billing), Telus shows you NO customer service. They don't have to... you signed a 3 year contract. "We gotcha bitch..." is their motto.

This PVR deal looks great but you do know that nothing is really "free"; What's 3 years of your sanity worth to you? Do you want to argue over the phone to a csr or manager on why you got billed incorrectly? Do you want to pay a rediculous cancelation fee because you moved out of the service area? hmm... :drama:

eblend
07-03-2009, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Ed the SOHC

This PVR deal looks great but you do know that nothing is really "free"; What's 3 years of your sanity worth to you? Do you want to argue over the phone to a csr or manager on why you got billed incorrectly? Do you want to pay a rediculous cancelation fee because you moved out of the service area? hmm... :drama:

As long as you don't make any changes and they billed you right the first time I don't see how anything can be a problem afterwards, even if you move you can take your reciever with you, there is nowhere in North America that you can move where you wouldn't be able to get satellite signal. This is rebranded bell, much better then their shitty tv and internet offerings

mazdavirgin
07-03-2009, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by eblend
This is rebranded bell, much better then their shitty tv and internet offerings

Why not just use bell? I can't see how telus can be cheaper than bell seeing as they are reselling the original product that bell produced... One way or another that PVR won't be "FREE" you are going to get gouged for it somewhere in your bills.

darkkent
07-03-2009, 10:42 AM
last time i checked Bells offer was buy the HD box or HD PVR box, like SHAW, or rent the box. $10 per month for a reg HD box, $15 per month for the HD PVR, both on contracts. So if you dont want to fork over the $500 for the HD PVR ( which you'll probably replace with something better in a few years anyway ), TELUS satellite with a FREE HD PVR is still the best deal.

btw we are talking about TELUS Satellite NOT TELUS IPTV ....

nobb
07-05-2009, 11:40 AM
I was thinking of switching because of the free PVR, but all these negative comments are making me reconsider.

Out of curiosity, is there a limit to the number of TV's that can be added? It's a bit unclear, but from the Telus website there is a max of 2 HDTVs, but I am not sure if analog TVs can be added on top of that. Our household has 4 TVs, 1 is high definition.

mazdavirgin
07-05-2009, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by nobb
I was thinking of switching because of the free PVR, but all these negative comments are making me reconsider.

Out of curiosity, is there a limit to the number of TV's that can be added? It's a bit unclear, but from the Telus website there is a max of 2 HDTVs, but I am not sure if analog TVs can be added on top of that. Our household has 4 TVs, 1 is high definition.

Since it is satellite you need a satellite receiver for every single tv in your household unless you all want to watch exactly the same channel. That is where satellite gets pretty damn expensive... Telus doesn't do analog FYI. They do digital over the phone line or satellite. In either case you are looking at having to purchase a receiver for every single tv in your household.

signature7
07-05-2009, 08:35 PM
Receivers can get pricey, AFAIK for one dish from (assuming Telus is re branded version of Bell) you can have 2 HD signals max or say you have 1 HD signal and 2 standard digital max. It creates a problem for us since we have more than 3 tvs, which all have HD capabilities. I heard there's a way around this but have yet to inquire.

Cos
07-06-2009, 04:57 PM
my grandparents have nothing but problems with TelusTV.

Also Shaw makes you buy the box because Shaw doesnt sign you onto a contract. If you want to leave your 3 year telus contract the buyout's are huge. Think of a cellphone contract, very much the same.

I have a shaw hd box and i had to buy it out, but I can cancel at anytime as shaw doesnt subsidize the price of the box so they could care less.

Zero102
07-06-2009, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by signature7
Receivers can get pricey, AFAIK for one dish from (assuming Telus is re branded version of Bell) you can have 2 HD signals max or say you have 1 HD signal and 2 standard digital max. It creates a problem for us since we have more than 3 tvs, which all have HD capabilities. I heard there's a way around this but have yet to inquire.

If its just re-branded Bell then all you need is a switch, this will let you add more than 2 TVs without adding additional dishes. They should be able to provide this for you at a reasonable cost.

afrotl
07-06-2009, 05:57 PM
Your best bet is to call TELUS TV 310MYTV and ask, and from what i remeber if you sign a 3 yr and you want out it is 100 or 120 but a huge amount like the cell phone. i will say just call and ask and you can make up your mind from there......the advantage I see between Bell and TELUSis that you get the Receivers for free if you sign with TELUS.