PDA

View Full Version : Best Adapter for Ipod to Car's Stock Stereo?

Dumbass17
07-02-2009, 12:39 PM
so i bought a truck and it just has the stock deck. i don't really want to buy a new deck cause i don't plan on putting any money into the truck cause it's mostly for work, however, i want to be able to listen to my ipod thru it's speakers.
sooo, what's the best adapter out there for this? i just need one that goes from the headphone jack to fm on the deck but there's quite a few out there. i want good sound quality.
:dunno:

thanks in advance!

also, if there IS a cheap deck that displays the ipod's song titles and select them using the deck, let me know. i keep reading reviews that if you have alot of songs, then the deck takes ages to do anything...

old man audio
07-02-2009, 04:53 PM
if you want good sound these guys make the best.

http://www.pac-audio.com/

eb0i
07-03-2009, 01:22 AM
does your truck have an aux input?

Boat
07-03-2009, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by eb0i
does your truck have an aux input?

Doubt it.

What you are looking for is something like an "I-trip"

Don't buy a deck you will end up paying at least 100 for an ipod deck plus more on your DIN kit and harness.

Dumbass17
07-03-2009, 10:13 AM
stock stereo = no aux input, obviously

yeah i have seen the i-trips and stuff i'm just wondering about quality is all...

garyb
07-04-2009, 11:39 AM
i have the monster cable, charges your ipod at the same time. you set the station, whichever sounds best. i read that it broadcasts your signal at the maximum allowed by law. ive never had any problems with it. $30-$40 on ebay.

Dumbass17
07-04-2009, 12:04 PM
yeah i picked up a kensington that looks like it should charge my ipod as well

thanks anyways guys

Dumbass17
07-13-2009, 12:04 PM
meh
the kensington is annoying. i constantly hve to change frequencies to get a good one without static

any other suggestions?

Wehbeast
07-13-2009, 12:10 PM
you can get these at the dollar store

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41WCTD6NX5L._SL500_.jpg

mr2mike
07-13-2009, 12:53 PM
A little cheaper than pac-audio but similar hard wired in sound.

http://www.gromaudio.com/

n1zm0
07-13-2009, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
meh
the kensington is annoying. i constantly hve to change frequencies to get a good one without static

any other suggestions?

i have a belkin tunecast auto with some clearscan bs for the cig lighter, press some sort of auto-tune button, picks a 'clear' frequency for you, in any case it has 3 equalizer settings and the auto tune function works pretty good

i have tested both my brother's monster and mine and i've come to the conclusion that 88.5Mhz seems to be the freq. with the less static for our city, idk why, the only real issue with my belkin is you have to lay it on the transmitter or pretty damn close and it performs flawlessly, might as well be a CD. if it's a bit far away, say half a foot, its a little dull, as if someone cut the treble, no static tho.

slinkie
07-13-2009, 02:21 PM
always love driving next to people who are using the same frequency for their ipod..

lol.

scat19
07-13-2009, 02:30 PM
All FM transmitters will not cut it. If your an audiophile, don't even bother.

Wired is the ONLY way to go.

A cheap deck for around 60 bux would have an aux in!

mr2mike
07-13-2009, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by scat19
All FM transmitters will not cut it. If your an audiophile, don't even bother.

Wired is the ONLY way to go.

A cheap deck for around 60 bux would have an aux in!

No kidding. I hear people with the FM transmitters and it makes me cringe. They're good for trips in rental cars, etc. But it's well worth the extra cash to wire it up right.
You spend good money on speakers and amps to hardly get FM quality sound.

sjaswal
07-13-2009, 05:20 PM
it's a work truck, next you'll be telling the guy to gut it and dynamat.

Dumbass17
07-13-2009, 06:58 PM
hahaha

where the hell do you find a $60 deck lol

magicmario
08-03-2009, 02:08 PM
you can find decks on beyond for under a 100 over even go to visions or fs and find one for under a 100 installed. the only expensive part would be the harness, dash kit, and attena adapter. Which are all availible at canadian tire for prob under 30 bucks. Thats a much better investment then some crappy fm transmitter, even if it is a work truck. Its called a buisiness write off lol

FiveFreshFish
08-03-2009, 02:16 PM
http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/ipod_car_interfaces.html

black13
08-03-2009, 02:20 PM
Last time I was at walmart and they had a deck for $60-80 I think and it had aux-in/usb stick/and sd card support. I bought one and its working great past six months. Its an unknown brand but its worth it.

drivingwild
08-11-2009, 12:40 PM
Honestly everyone complaining about FM Transmitters has never tried a Monster FM Transmitter, I've used mine in everything from an 88 Celica GTS to a 2008 Acura MDX and its crystal clear sound every time all the time. Don't be fooled by the higher priced belkins... this is a case where you DON'T get what you pay for. Why do you think the Monster FM Transmitters are always sold out at Futureshop/Bestbuy

s_havinga
08-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Believe it or not, Canadian Tire sells a no name FM transmitter that is the best I have ever used. We use it all the time and I have NEVER got any static at all from it. The best part... its regular price is $38 but I would say once a month it goes on sale for either 50% or 75% off. I picked mine up for $18 but 2 weeks later saw it on sale for $9.

I cant seem to find it online but it is all white and plugs into the cigarette lighter and has two foam arms the hold the ipod in place

FiveFreshFish
08-11-2009, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by drivingwild
Honestly everyone complaining about FM Transmitters has never tried a Monster FM Transmitter, I've used mine in everything from an 88 Celica GTS to a 2008 Acura MDX and its crystal clear sound every time all the time. Don't be fooled by the higher priced belkins... this is a case where you DON'T get what you pay for. Why do you think the Monster FM Transmitters are always sold out at Futureshop/Bestbuy

I tried the Monster FM transmitter and returned it.

Nothing beats a wired connection for sound. It also gives you control over the ipod through your car stereo (albeit limited functions) and charges up whenever it's connected.

If you're going to pay $100 on a Monster transmitter, spend $50 more for a wired interface.

bituerbo
08-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by s_havinga
Believe it or not, Canadian Tire sells a no name FM transmitter that is the best I have ever used. We use it all the time and I have NEVER got any static at all from it. The best part... its regular price is $38 but I would say once a month it goes on sale for either 50% or 75% off. I picked mine up for $18 but 2 weeks later saw it on sale for $9.

I cant seem to find it online but it is all white and plugs into the cigarette lighter and has two foam arms the hold the ipod in place

Yup, I got one of these last week on sale for $8.97 or something. Sound comes in as well as any other FM station, and there is no interference, at least I haven't experienced any yet. Best part is the built-in cradle, so it sits right beside my gearshift. When I get my timmies and park, I tilt it 90* and watch some top gear vids on youtube!

If you want direct-wire solution, ICELINK makes an iPod interface for OEM stereos. Great audio quality, control the iPod from your FACTORY deck, and it even displays song title/artist info.

Dumbass17
08-12-2009, 08:20 PM
hmmm i may have to check that out
or dish up the $300 bucks for this deck/harness i've been eyeing up

thanks guys