PDA

View Full Version : Always listen to your dentist!!

LUDELVR
07-02-2009, 04:10 PM
It all started when I arrived back in Canada last June. After being away from home for about 5 years with no health benefits, I was eager to take advantage of my dental and health package from work. That’s when I decided to go see a mate who is a dentist at Signal Hill Dental. He’s an awesome dentist and an even better guy! I suggest if you don’t have a dentist or are looking for a new one, go see him! He’s got some hot girls working for him too so that’s a bonus! ;) Okay, now that the shameless plug is over, onto the story.
I ended up seeing him earlier this year and he informed me that I should have my back molars crowned because they were looking a tad brittle and because of the root canals done, it would be a good idea. He explained that the possibility of my chewing on something hard may cause them to fracture and split so the crown would add strength to them and prevent that. It may be a bit costly but would be worth the added price; however, I took the advice and left, but typical me, I misplaced the info and soon forgot.
Fast forward to this week. I was eating wings when all of a sudden I bit down and heard a slight crunching sound followed by a slight grind accompanied with a surprising sensation in my mouth. My countenance said it all when I then realized that my whinging was a result of my tooth fracturing just as my dentist had described! After a plethora of combined profanity, I then called my dentist (who is B18C by the way on the forum) and his receptionist said they were about to close and go on a bit of a holiday but Archie said he would see me.
Upon arriving at the office, I was met by Archie and his demeanour was reminiscent of my parent’s “I told you so” life lesson. After a quick recap of what had happened he then patched up the tooth; however, he warned me that the fracture was pretty bad and that this may not hold so if it gets worse, they may need to do a replacement but wouldn’t be able to do it that night. He also said it was a good idea that I didn’t use JB weld to try and keep the tooth together! So I was grateful for them seeing me and helping me patch it up.
Fast forward more so to today. For the past two days, I’ve been very mindful of what I ate and how I ate it. Unexpectedly, I was eating lunch when again, I was reacquainted with the same sensation I had felt only two days prior! Once again, I tried to call several doctors (including my own) but to no avail. It must be national dentist week or something. In any case, I then had to take matters into my own hand. The fracture was even worse. It actually split the tooth down the side! After several hours of trying to pull it out with a string, and poking it with a metal prod, I was getting desperate! The tooth was wiggling its way out but was still not going anywhere! That’s when desperation overtook me. I then went to my vehicle and retrieved my tool kit, pulling out the needled nose pliers. The tooth was extremely wiggly by now and my mind kept halting me from proceeding any further; however, the tooth simply taunted me as it rocked back and forth. Hoping that temerity was not going to be the cause of a massive mouth pain, I trenched forward, inserting the pliers into my mouth. Upon grasping the chunk of tooth, I carefully twisted and contorted the tooth to break the sinews of gums that kept that visible chunk captive. Upon my furtive movements, my mouth began to constantly water and surprisingly, only little blood was evident. Finally, after one quick twist, the fragment was set free and relief beset my mouth! Accompanying this sensation was a hallowed out feeling in my gum and as I said, not very much blood at all. I suppose the root canal was somewhat responsible for the lack of pain in my tooth!

All in all, I suggest one should listen to one’s dentist to avoid having to dawn the automotive devices in order to relieve pain in one’s mouth!!! Photos below!
http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/7112/p7030147.jpg
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/5920/p7030154.jpg http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/1919/p7030148.jpghttp://img398.imageshack.us/img398/8161/p7030146.jpg

JordanAndrew
07-02-2009, 04:14 PM
ouch!

Crymson
07-02-2009, 04:17 PM
Exact same thing happend to me.

Luckily it was a wisdom tooth. However, i was in university and broke as hell, so i actually left it fractured and broken for like 8 months. It never got infected, directly, but the gums grew into and it got incredibly gross and food would get stuck in the hole that was left as the tooth died. And when i finally had it pulled, my dentist was showing me it, it was sick. I couldn't ever really see the whole thing, but it was like busted RIGHT in half, and nasty.

Pretty f'ing sick.

eglove
07-02-2009, 04:18 PM
damn dude, :eek:

max_boost
07-02-2009, 04:29 PM
:thumbsdow wall of text! ;)

Shitty deal man but I swear only you would operate this type of procedure lol :rofl: haha but I hope yuo are alright :thumbsup:

BTw, I'm waiting until August to take advantage of the same health/dental plan that you have so I'll be visiting Dr. Tang pretty soon. :D

hoamic11
07-02-2009, 04:30 PM
So from the look of things, part of the tooth is still there, correct?

theken
07-02-2009, 04:41 PM
Always listen to Dr tang. When he disagrees with you its cause your wrong

VWEvo
07-02-2009, 04:54 PM
Dentists FTW!!!;) :D

Doozer
07-02-2009, 07:46 PM
Nearly identical thing happened to me. A piece of a molar on my bottom left cracked off while eating, looked almost exactly the same as your pics.

I ended up getting a crown to protect the tooth, but got the gold instead of porcelain. My dentist said all her "grinders" (all the clients like me, who grind their teeth) do better with gold because it will bend more, whereas porcelain is likely to just crack again.

All told, it was several appointments and over $1K to fix. Thank God for insurance.

VWEvo
07-02-2009, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Doozer
Nearly identical thing happened to me. A piece of a molar on my bottom left cracked off while eating, looked almost exactly the same as your pics.

I ended up getting a crown to protect the tooth, but got the gold instead of porcelain. My dentist said all her "grinders" (all the clients like me, who grind their teeth) do better with gold because it will bend more, whereas porcelain is likely to just crack again.

All told, it was several appointments and over $1K to fix. Thank God for insurance.

Not entirely true, however gold is a great material. Has your dentist ever bothered to discuss why you grind and how to actually get you to stop grinding?? Alot of grinders tend to suffer regular headaches, sore necks, and even tend to snore at night. In our practice we tend to solve the grinding, and I'm not talking about a huge plastic nightguard.

Mibz
07-02-2009, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by VWEvo
In our practice we tend to solve the grinding, and I'm not talking about a huge plastic nightguard. FUCKING INTERESTED!

Z_Fan
07-02-2009, 11:03 PM
I had this happen to me. Three times actually. First it was my wisdom tooth. Broke that twice in pretty much the same fashion as you have described. Well, the first time I was sleeping - never found the hunk of tooth, so I suspect I ate it. Broke off even more the second time around just eating supper. Then had that tooth removed as it was completely fubar, and proceeded to break the next tooth in the line-up! Had that one and the one in front of it crowned and they have been good ever since...

LadyLuck
07-02-2009, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
FUCKING INTERESTED!

+1
I grind my teeth lots, my neck is hurting all the time, and i get headaches on a regular basis.

I used to have a mouth guard specially made for my by my dentist, but some assclown in my household threw it away, and those things are a bit pricey.

Kritafo
07-02-2009, 11:21 PM
Curious to know what you do for grinders. I have chewed my way through a hard and a soft appliance. Cracked a tooth on Canada day....just about out of my mind all day, didn't want to disturb my dentist but really should have. Got into the Dr.'s this morning thank goodness got it fixed, now onto the other 2 cracked fillings I have caused myself.

I use to go for a special massage for grinding had a guy in Regina he was totally awesome. I was headache free for the first time in a long time. Now I am right back to where I was. Grinding and ruining my teeth.

The only thing I have been offered is appliances.

LUDELVR
07-03-2009, 12:25 AM
The biggest thing I'm worried about is that I'm away for work for 3 weeks and it's pretty full on where I doubt I'll get any time off. The other thing I'm worried about is infection! Not so much about the feminine itch, but more in my mouth!!! I've been rinsing all day with salt and water, but still paranoid about infection.

I'm hoping that the rest of the tooth is okay because I was told that if I wanted to get it replaced with a fake tooth, it'd be around 4 k!! :eek:

It didn't bleed that much to begin with; however, a bit did come out and now it just seems like a huge as gaping hole! What else can one do to avoid infection? :dunno:

Boat
07-03-2009, 12:55 AM
I love and miss your stories dude!

You sure know how to captivate!!

I can relate to the tooth things... When I was a kid i used to push my teeth out with a sock for friction

VWEvo
07-03-2009, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by LUDELVR
The biggest thing I'm worried about is that I'm away for work for 3 weeks and it's pretty full on where I doubt I'll get any time off. The other thing I'm worried about is infection! Not so much about the feminine itch, but more in my mouth!!! I've been rinsing all day with salt and water, but still paranoid about infection.

I'm hoping that the rest of the tooth is okay because I was told that if I wanted to get it replaced with a fake tooth, it'd be around 4 k!! :eek:

It didn't bleed that much to begin with; however, a bit did come out and now it just seems like a huge as gaping hole! What else can one do to avoid infection? :dunno:

The tooth won't get infected as you previously mentioned it has had a Root Canal. The only real nuisance is the fact that the tooth might be sharp and cut up your tongue. Its not totally hopeless to fix the tooth, chances are you may need to have a procedure that lengthens your gums in that area, and you can still have a crown put on that tooth. However, I can't really comment for sure as I haven't seen the situation first hand. Just keep the gums clean in the area, salt water rinses are fine, and when you can, get to your dentist so they can accurately assess the area.

GQBalla
07-03-2009, 07:46 AM
you sir are brave.

revelations
07-03-2009, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by VWEvo

Not entirely true, however gold is a great material. Has your dentist ever bothered to discuss why you grind and how to actually get you to stop grinding?? Alot of grinders tend to suffer regular headaches, sore necks, and even tend to snore at night. In our practice we tend to solve the grinding, and I'm not talking about a huge plastic nightguard.

I dont get any of those symptoms, yet when I dont wear a mouth guard at night, I can feel my teeth when I wake up - as if someone has punched me in the mouth during sleep.

I dont live a very stressful life, I eat relatively healthy and keep active - whats causing the grinding?

Kloubek
07-03-2009, 09:31 AM
OP, reading your story, I found myself clenching my teeth and butt cheeks. I am no stranger to doing work on my own body (I've stitched myself up once, and cut a mole out once too) but still - your words made me cringe.

Glad to see your pliers helped though...

Mar
07-03-2009, 10:29 AM
I neglected the doctor for 4 years and when I finally went to see him last year I had:
- 4 pulled wisdom teeth, 3 impacted
- 3 fillings
- deep scaling under the gum line
- tongue ring wore through the enamel exposing the dentin
- crooked row of teeth from wisdom teeth making room
- regular cleaning, inspection, x-rays

My teeth were a complete mess and it cost me $4500 to fix them. I'll never do that again.

craigcd
07-03-2009, 01:49 PM
The other thing I'm worried about is infection! Not so much about the feminine itch, but more in my mouth!!!

Dont be giving any mustache rides this weekend just to be sure.

sexualbanana
07-04-2009, 01:45 AM

Upon arriving at the office, I was met by Archie and his demeanour was reminiscent of my parent’s “I told you so” life lesson.

I fucking hate that/him. lol

theken
07-04-2009, 01:49 AM
you hate that cause your wrong, and he is right

mo_money2supe
07-04-2009, 01:59 AM
Ironic that I'm coming across this thread; was just talking about it with my mom the 2 nights ago!

My dentist has been nagging me the past year to get a crown for my past root canal, but after talking to my mom about it, she says that her crowns are nothing but an annoyance to her. At least what I think she has are crowns. Are they the ones that slip on your teeth during the day and you take them out in the evening to sleep? The ones similar to fake teeth almost? I rarely wear my mouth guard (have grinding issues too) as it is due to the hassle of maintaining them, so if crowns are just as finicky, I'm not sure how I'll adapt to it. At least I know better than sticking car tools into any of my orifices though... :D

Doozer
07-04-2009, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by mo_money2supe
Are they the ones that slip on your teeth during the day and you take them out in the evening to sleep? The ones similar to fake teeth almost? No.

Crowns are permanent, don't come out on purpose, and you'll never know it's there.

Amysicle
07-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by mo_money2supe
My dentist has been nagging me the past year to get a crown for my past root canal, but after talking to my mom about it, she says that her crowns are nothing but an annoyance to her. At least what I think she has are crowns. Think of a crown like a tooth look-a-like cap that sits on top of your tooth to help strengthen your tooth. If your mom is seriously irritated by her crowns, then someone's doing something wrong. This website should clear up any misconceptions you may have: http://www.animated-teeth.com/dental_crowns/t1_dental_crowns_what_are.htm

GREENBOY
07-08-2009, 05:38 PM
In my experience....

NEVER LISTEN TO A DENTIST.

They're only bothered about paying for their next boat. Just stick to the scale and polish.

My dentist in Calgary told me I needed all sorts of shit doing that I blatantly didn't, tried to sell me teeth whitening treatment, told me I could potentially die from an abcess that didn't exist and lots of other stuff and went on to tell me about his amazing yachting holiday in Cuba. I just had a scale and polish and went with my instincts and I've been fine. I never went back as he was plainly dishonest and only bothered about getting money.

B18C
07-26-2009, 09:31 AM
Hahahaha......I didn't even know about this thread until Maxboost came in and mentioned it yesterday.

Hope you are ok Leo. You should come in ASAP so I can take a look at that tooth. I told you to call me if that tooth broke again. I was in Vancouver, but I could have found you a dentist to pull that piece of tooth out for sure.

Originally posted by Sexualbanana
I fucking hate that/him. lol

Originally posted by theken
you hate that cause your wrong, and he is right

:thumbsup:

Bananaboy knows this. He's just too stubborn to admit it.

Originally posted by GREENBOY

They're only bothered about paying for their next boat. Just stick to the scale and polish.

Well I don't know about that. Personally if your dentist is telling you that you have all this stuff that needs to be done and that you may die from an abcess, and you don't believe him, I would at least go and get a second opinion from another dentist.

sexualbanana
07-27-2009, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by B18C

:thumbsup:

Bananaboy knows this. He's just too stubborn to admit it.

Fuck that.

VWEvo
07-27-2009, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by GREENBOY
In my experience....

My dentist in Calgary told me I needed all sorts of shit doing that I blatantly didn't, tried to sell me teeth whitening treatment, told me I could potentially die from an abcess that didn't exist and lots of other stuff and went on to tell me about his amazing yachting holiday in Cuba. I just had a scale and polish and went with my instincts and I've been fine. I never went back as he was plainly dishonest and only bothered about getting money.

Wow, that is absolutely terrible advice my friend. If a dentist tells you that you have an abcess, you should be taking that seriously. Just because it doesn't hurt doesn't mean it doesn't exist. While saying you could potentially die is pretty extreme, you can get a pretty serious swelling by ignoring a problem like that. At the very least get a second opinion, to make sure you aren't walking around with a ticking time bomb. As for the dentist talking about going yachting in Cuba, would you rather see a dentist that is dirt poor and can't afford gas to get to work. Perhaps you need to understand that many dentists are successful at what they do because they are probably very good dentists. I can tell you with good certainty that most of the unethical dentists rarely do very well and almost always get their licenses suspended. Your answer is very misinformed, I hope you take my advice and get another opinion.

TDFTW
07-29-2009, 04:17 PM
I have 3 teeth that did that exact thing except I haven't had money to visit my dentist so they keep deteriorating and have become infected and cause pain 24/7.

What is the exact cause of teeth that chip easily? It pisses me off :(

adamc
08-07-2009, 06:13 PM
VWevo, can you pm me your practice name, are you accepting new patients?

TDFTW
08-07-2009, 07:11 PM
vwevo -

Do you think you can give a price on the following?
1 root canal - 2 roots + crown
1 root canal - 4 roots + crown

?

Cause I'm not paying 17th ave dental $5000 for the procedure.

bignerd
08-07-2009, 09:47 PM
You might be hooped now if the tooth cracked in half-I am guessing they will probably just pull the rest of it (if it is cracked all the way down) and you will have to get a bridge or implant. Fun.