PDA

View Full Version : Electrical / Wiring help

black_2.5RS
07-02-2009, 04:42 PM
I'm definitely not an electrician - so i'm hoping someone can help me out. I'm trying to switch an old lighting fixture in the master ensuite with a new lighting fixture and while new fixture works - when ever the fixture is turned on, the bathroom fan turns on. When the old fixture was in place, the light and the fan were on independent switches and I would continue to want the fan and light to operate independently. Attached is a wiring diagram on what i'm dealing with and some of the combo's i've tried:

NOTE:
R1 = Red wire 1 (Hot wire)
B1 / B2 = Black wires 1 and 2 (Hot wire)
W1 / W2 = White wires 1 and 2 (return wires)
G1 = Ground wire

COMBO 1:
Wall (R1 + B1 + B2) to Fixture (B1)
Wall (W1 + W2) to Fixture (W1)
Wall (G1) to Fixture (G1)

Both switches turn on the fan and light

COMBO 2:
Wall (B1+B2) to Fixture (B1)
Wall (W1 + W2) to Fixture (W1)
Wall (G1) to Fixture (G1)

1 switch turns on fan and light. The other doesn't do anything.

black_shadow_18
07-02-2009, 04:46 PM
put the red to the fixture, leave the blacks connected ONLY to them selves NOT the fixture. connect the 2 whites to the fixture as well as the ground.

Z_Fan
07-02-2009, 04:56 PM
I'm pretty sure you don't want to connect all three together...the problem is in the COMBO 2 the red wire is not connected...

Should take pics of each fixtures wires as well as each switch so we can see the wiring...

S13_Ryan
07-02-2009, 05:09 PM
so you must have disconnected all wiring... and then forgot how the original fixture was connected... because it used to work before.

blackshadows post should be the solution....

black_2.5RS
07-02-2009, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by black_shadow_18
put the red to the fixture, leave the blacks connected ONLY to them selves NOT the fixture. connect the 2 whites to the fixture as well as the ground.

:closed:

It worked! Thanks black_shadow.