PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Maxima high beam not working

Mar
07-03-2009, 12:45 PM
One of my coworkers has a 2001 Nissan Maxima with a weird issue on the passenger headlight. Both of his DRL work, both of his headlights work but his passenger high beam doesn't work. He has replaced the fuses under the hood, bought new bulbs and tried to check all the wiring with a multimeter, couldn't find the issue. He bought the car used and there's a rocker switch under the steering wheel that he doesn't know what it does, I think the electrical might have been messed with a little. Any ideas?

5000Audi
07-03-2009, 12:49 PM
pull the bulb out of the plug and put a cheak light into the high beam slot.to make sure it is dead.. then find the dead wire and follow it.. could possibly be melted to somthing/ broken.. if one side is working then it shouldnt be the wireing under the dash.. im pretty sure on the high beams that both lights come from the same power soruce.. so you would have to find the split where they T off and follow the wire from there..

anothers10
07-03-2009, 12:56 PM
some I30s had problems with the daytime running light relay causing one highbeam to not work. Should be the same on a maxima. Find it under the hood, I think on the passenger side inner fender close to the front. Tap on it and see if it sarts working. Then remove and repair it or replace it.

Mar
07-03-2009, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by anothers10
some I30s had problems with the daytime running light relay causing one highbeam to not work. Should be the same on a maxima. Find it under the hood, I think on the passenger side inner fender close to the front. Tap on it and see if it sarts working. Then remove and repair it or replace it.
That's crazy, we were just talking to a Nissan mechanic who said the exact same thing. I smacked it with my Blackberry a few times, didn't seem to help. Any other suggestions?

Kardon
07-03-2009, 01:37 PM
I'd say give it a good knock with an iPhone for better results, find out what the mystery switch does?

anothers10
07-03-2009, 01:47 PM
Hit it a little harder with a small hammer or screw driver.