PDA

View Full Version : Heating in a Civic

hondatt
10-31-2003, 09:02 PM
Just wondering what I need to replace in order to get hotter air? Its a 98 Honda Civic and the heat isn't hot for this cold winter. Thanx

illeagle
10-31-2003, 09:03 PM
heater core?? higher temp. thermostat

Moe Man
11-03-2003, 03:07 PM
a VW heater... this think burns the shit outa me

kevie88
11-03-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Moe Man
a VW heater... this think burns the shit outa me

No kidding man, those VW heaters are insane!! It's almost worth the premium price just for that heater!

Dirty_SOHC
11-03-2003, 03:16 PM
you may have bubbles in the coolant. Drain and fill back up. I had the same problem in my civic last year.

kevie88
11-03-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Dirty_SOHC
you may have bubbles in the coolant. Drain and fill back up. I had the same problem in my civic last year.

There's a bleed screw on the upper rad hose elbow on the block that you can bleed off those bubbles at. Just loosen the screw and fill the coolant until coolant starts coming out of that bleed bolt without any bubbles, then the cooling system will be good.. if there's bubbles in there now and you drain and refill, you'll still have the bubbles there when you're done.

There's a pic of the bleed screw on this page:
http://forums.s2ki.com/search/threadview/86811/
it's an S2K they're doing there, but the bleed screw looks the same on your Civic.

And a hot thermostat will help a lot, as well as some cardboard in front of the rad on the REALLY cold days.

littledan
11-03-2003, 03:57 PM
^^^ sweet info!!

88CRX
11-03-2003, 05:42 PM
cant u just bleed the system by poping the rad cap and letting it run?

GTS Jeff
11-03-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
cant u just bleed the system by poping the rad cap and letting it run? thats how i been doin it...crank the heat and let the car run with the rad cap open.

88CRX
11-03-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
thats how i been doin it...crank the heat and let the car run with the rad cap open.

ya last time i did this i had huge bubbles.... :dunno:

then it overflowed all over the place :banghead:

rice_eater
11-03-2003, 06:33 PM

then it overflowed all over the place :banghead:

duh

GTS Jeff
11-03-2003, 06:43 PM

ya last time i did this i had huge bubbles.... :dunno:

then it overflowed all over the place :banghead: hahaha wtf did u overfill or something? i never overflow..

88CRX
11-03-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
hahaha wtf did u overfill or something? i never overflow..

:dunno: i wasnt expecting to overflow but it did.... btw this was after 10 minutes or so

3G
11-03-2003, 06:47 PM
maybe it's your head gasket? because our van isn't giving out hot air so we took it to a mechanic and he said we need a head gasket :dunno:

MK3HKS
11-03-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Mx6GtTurbo
maybe it's your head gasket? because our van isn't giving out hot air so we took it to a mechanic and he said we need a head gasket :dunno:

mechanics want your money!!

headgasket:bullshit:

GTS Jeff
11-03-2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Mx6GtTurbo
maybe it's your head gasket? because our van isn't giving out hot air so we took it to a mechanic and he said we need a head gasket :dunno: maybe u should move to edmonton and pretend to know what a bov is :rolleyes:

hondatt
11-03-2003, 08:03 PM
I'll try bleeding the coolant this weekend and hope that is all. Thanx for the detailed information Keve88.

88CRX
11-03-2003, 10:33 PM
i just bled mine :thumbsup: mmmmm.... warmth :D

hondatt
11-03-2003, 11:14 PM
Kevie88, When I'm bleeding the coolant, where do I add the coolant to bleed?

kevie88
11-04-2003, 12:16 AM
just undo the rad cap and loosen the bleed screw (when the car is cold!) and add coolant to the radiator, coolant will eventually come out of the bleed screw hole. Keep filling till it runs out of the hole smoothly without any bubbles, then tighten the screw and top up the rad, then close it up.

Maybe check your overflow bottle to make sure it isn't low as well.

Primer_Drift
11-04-2003, 12:31 AM
hondatt just make sure your coolant resevoir bottle is topped up. You dont need to bleed a lot of fluid out, just open your bleed valve enough to let a trickle of fluid out when the vehicle is warm and running. Make sure to loosen it before running your car. On my honda its a 12mm bolt with a hole in it located on top of the inlet attaching the upper rad hose to the engine (similair to yours probably). It is possible to place a rubber tube on this fitting so coolant doesnt shoot everywhere, its what I recommend, if not place a rag over the bleed valve as you do this. Bleed it out slowly until you do not see any bubbles in the fluid. I do not recommend using the radiator cap to purge the system of bubbles as sometime too much fluid is lost.

But by the sounds of it your thermostat is done, and it letting the coolant constantly cycle through the radiator, your heatercore should be fine.. since its a newer vehicle. Before doing anything though check your radiator mix to see what temp rating you are running at. Poor heating can be any number of things so take it one step at a time.

kevie88
11-04-2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Primer_Drift
hondatt just make sure your coolant resevoir bottle is topped up. You dont need to bleed a lot of fluid out, just open your bleed valve enough to let a trickle of fluid out when the vehicle is warm and running. Make sure to loosen it before running your car. On my honda its a 12mm bolt with a hole in it located on top of the inlet attaching the upper rad hose to the engine (similair to yours probably). It is possible to place a rubber tube on this fitting so coolant doesnt shoot everywhere, its what I recommend, if not place a rag over the bleed valve as you do this. Bleed it out slowly until you do not see any bubbles in the fluid. I do not recommend using the radiator cap to purge the system of bubbles as sometime too much fluid is lost.

But by the sounds of it your thermostat is done, and it letting the coolant constantly cycle through the radiator, your heatercore should be fine.. since its a newer vehicle. Before doing anything though check your radiator mix to see what temp rating you are running at. Poor heating can be any number of things so take it one step at a time.

heh.. you just repeated everything I said. :nut: