PDA

View Full Version : Toe Fungus

Nusc
07-03-2009, 10:18 PM
Has anyone here have toe fungus? If so, how long did you wait before you removed your toe nail/ used medication ?

HHURICANE1
07-03-2009, 11:04 PM
Why would you wait. That's like saying "I'm having a heart attack, how long should I wait until I go to the hospital?" Go to the drug store and start treatment asap before it gets worse or spreads. Talk to the pharmacist and find out what options for treatment there are.

xLostx
07-03-2009, 11:48 PM
just cut off said infected toes :dunno: problem solved

theken
07-04-2009, 01:02 AM
i have one currently, it has been like over a year

Red@8
07-04-2009, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by theken
i have one currently, it has been like over a year

Fungus generally takes quite a while to get rid of. 6-12 months is not uncommon. Depending on the nail 12+ months to grow back is normal.

To the OP I would go see a Podiatrist or Pharmacist to figure out some treatment options.

Nusc
07-04-2009, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Red@8

Fungus generally takes quite a while to get rid of. 6-12 months is not uncommon. Depending on the nail 12+ months to grow back is normal.

To the OP I would go see a Podiatrist or Pharmacist to figure out some treatment options.

Have you had toe fungus and your toenail removed? My physician said that it usually comes back and that it's very hard to get rid of unless you remove the toenail permanently.

Did you use any natural oils? I don't want to take prescribed medication because of the side effects.

theken
07-04-2009, 03:49 PM
I haven't taken meds yet. I think I am just going to use a chisel and 1 shot my nail off then use peroxide

Red@8
07-04-2009, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Nusc

Have you had toe fungus and your toenail removed? My physician said that it usually comes back and that it's very hard to get rid of unless you remove the toenail permanently.

Did you use any natural oils? I don't want to take prescribed medication because of the side effects.

I havent had a fungal infection or my toe nail removed. Just a med student sharing the little knowledge i have. :)

Generally the doc will not suggest removing the toenail, although there are instances were this is the course of action. If the fungus has spread deep into the nailbed then perhaps the nail would have to be removed. As i said previously the toe nail will take forever to grow back.

Have you tried the meds (pills?) the doc gave you? If they are giving you side effects perhaps the doc can give you something else? If you havent tried the meds and are just worried about what is listed that may happen, i suggest you try the meds first and go from there. In some cases there are even topicals that you can try (otc/prescription)

It will take a long time to get rid of the fungus. A lot of time the reason the fungus comes back is becuase the doctor or the patient does nothing to solve what caused the fungus in the first place such as sweaty feet, dirty/common shower, etc. Not saying this is you but usually this is the reason the fungus comes back. Removing the toe nail may solve nothing if the reason you got it in the first place isnt eliminated.

I dont know much about any naturals for this, sorry. You may be curious to know that most of the topicals available for a nail fungus are generally quite ineffective, so a topical natural may not be much better - but who knows.

Nusc
07-06-2009, 11:43 PM
From what you know, what is the best way to treat athletes foot? I'm soaking my feet in salt water for 15 minutes. This has been the worst fucking summer. Two months ago I had an incident with bed bugs.

Red@8
07-07-2009, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Nusc
From what you know, what is the best way to treat athletes foot? I'm soaking my feet in salt water for 15 minutes. This has been the worst fucking summer. Two months ago I had an incident with bed bugs.

Athletes foot:

I would be thinking preventing and then treating, as this is a fungus.

I would be taking extra measures to make sure your feet are cleaner/dryer than they normally are. This could mean changing your socks multiple times a day. Its a pain, but it has to be done, or you could try using a powder to keep them dry (gold bond/talc/etc). Also make sure you dry your feet really well when you get out of the shower. Use a different towel for your feet than for the rest of your body for the next little while.

For treatment you could use something like tinactin, which is applied topically and found over the counter at the pharmacy. If you dont see any improvement after 5-7 days I would go see a Podiatrist or your GP.

Hope that helps.